Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 4:57:52 AM EDT

Report Says Airlines Lost 30M Bags in 2005

By BRADLEY S. KLAPPER
Associated Press Writer

GENEVA (AP) -- If you've ever been frustrated after an airline lost your luggage, you're in the good company of millions of others. An estimated 30 million bags were temporarily lost by airlines in 2005, and 200,000 of those bags were never reunited with their owners, according to an industry report released Monday.

The report by SITA Inc., a company that provides technology solutions for the air transport industry, also noted that "the problem of mishandled baggage is worsening on both sides of the Atlantic."

The 30 million misdirected bags comprised only 1 percent of the 3 billion bags processed last year by airports, up from 0.7 percent in 2004, said SITA, which is promoting technology it says would reduce the problem.

Last year, mishandled luggage cost world airlines $2.5 billion, compared with $1.6 billion in 2004, SITA said, in a report released before Tuesday's airline and airport passenger services exposition in Paris. The jump partly reflects improvements in data collection, but also the increasing costs resulting from inadequate baggage management.

hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AIRLINES_MISSING_BAGGAGE?SITE=7219&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-03-20-19-26-01
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:04:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I bet some of them were on purpose.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:06:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The jump partly reflects improvements in data collection, but also the increasing costs resulting from inadequate baggage management.

That’s the biggest problem right there. Don’t know how many bags I see fall off of bag carts and the ramp rat has no idea and keeps on driving away.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:09:09 AM EDT
[#3]
200,000/365=

548 bags lost, and never recovered, every day.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:11:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw a show once about an outfit which buys lost luggage and sells the contents on to the public, like in a giant thrift store. They're making a fortune.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:11:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I bet most of them were lost by British Airways.

Bastards.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:37:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I bet most of them were lost by British Airways.

Bastards.

Delta and ASA too..lol
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:38:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I saw a show once about an outfit which buys lost luggage and sells the contents on to the public, like in a giant thrift store. They're making a fortune.

Bullcrap.  This statement is totally inaccurate.
They're making several fortunes.  :)

Unclaimed Baggage  (right up the road from me).

Merlin
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#8]
mine was one!

29,999,999 more to identify!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#9]
One of the big problems with baggage is that the turnover rate in those areas has started to skyrocket.  It has gotten to the point where if you have a pluse and you're breathing, the airlines will hire you to throw bags.  Frankly these new employees don't give a shit, and untill things change, lost baggage will only rise.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
200,000/365=

548 bags lost, and never recovered, every day.

With 1,000 airports, that averages to one lost bag per airport every two days. That doesn't seem like a lot anymore. I use carry on luggage only. For carrion I use glass jars with tight lids.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top