Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2005 2:15:18 PM EDT
So here I am. Professed Christian, saved, and all that good stuff.

Or am I?

I believe in Christ, if for no other reason that I was brought up that way. The thing is, I've seen His hand move in my life, and even heard His voice once.

So I've accepted that He is my only, and I do mean ONLY, chance for salvation. Period. Paragraph. End of story. New book. New library.

The thing is, I can't shake the nagging doubt that I have not truly submitted. I still sin. Badly. On purpose. With full knowledge of what I'm doing. I sin in the flesh and in the heart. Guilty.

If I do that, then it stands to reason that I've not repented and really allowed Him into my heart. I don't expect to be sinless by any means, but I would have expected a change by now.

Admittedly, a good part of all this is lack of discipline, which I know I'm also guilty of, especially on a spiritual level. I'm not blaming anything on the Lord in this.

So, am I different, or am I just a Christian with too much time to dwell on this stuff?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Assuming you have more than a "head knowldedge" of the Lord Jesus Christ...

The apostle Paul had the same problem you do, along with all Christians:

Romans 7:

14 ¶ For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that [it is] good.
17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but [how] to perform that which is good I find not.
19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you go to Church regularly ?

It is not required for salvation . But it will help you grow into becoming a mature Christian.If your relationship with Christ  becomes better you will change.

I know that would help.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#3]
For now, I never go to church, but I know I need to...
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Zaphod

I think that the fact you are concerned is a  good sign. I question my Salvation at times then I remember when I do that, I am doubting God. I then realise what He has done for me on my behalf in the face of how much I didnt deserve it, I desire to please Him more.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Z-man,

I think that these are thoughts most Christians struggle with.  When you start believing Christianity it leads to introspection.  If you have the type of mindset that focuses on the negatives and failures, this can be frustrating.

God said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."  He didn't add a qualifier like, "... unless you do something stupid."

Meditate on this:

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith- and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God..." (Ephesians 2:8)

You can't even take credit for the faith that saved you.  The faith to believe was a gift from God.  It isn't dependent upon you.  

Also, try Romans 6:23,

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Think about what these terms mean.  

Wages are earned, gifts are free.  

When we are lost in our sin we deserve (earn) death.  However, eternal life in Yeshua is a gift from God.

Can you earn a gift?  If it's owed to you because of something you did, it's not a gift.

That's not saying we get a free pass from the consequences that accompany the bad decisions we make.  We still have to accept responsibility and clean up after ourselves.

Look at David.  He committed adultery, and then murdered to cover it up.  God would not allow him to build the temple because he was a man of blood.  Yet he was still called a man after God's own heart.

Walk in grace.  Grace is free to us, but it was costly to God, so walk in reverence.  But keep on walking.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#6]
It is something that I struggle with daily. Even when I'm doing something I know God is displeased with, I go forth with that. However, I am chastised for it. I can't continue being a hypocrite.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I struggle with sin as much as anyone here.

I've tried to accept it as normal, but yes, there are always nagging doubts.

Dietrich Boenhoffer spoke of the tie between disbelief and disobedience.

Basically (thanks, Brohawk!), when we're disobedient, it hurts our belief in our salvation.

Many who aren't saved will refuse to believe at all, because to believe would force them to be obedient, and they can't handle it.

I suppose it's only normal, as others have said, because I'm constantly reminded that I'm not the 'lone ranger' trying to live a Christian life, but failing often.

I suppose what really matters is what you do with sin once you have acknowledged it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I think that every one of a christian faith struggles with this in there own way. I am no exception, I get in a rut sometimes because I sin once, then I have trouble forgiving myself so I find I go back to that sin over and over. We need to show our repentance by, "getting back up on that horse" even after you messed up. Go and pray ernestly to God, pick up your bible, throw on a Christian CD. Acknowledge Gods forgiveness, and show him that through serving him, even if at the moment you really dont feel like it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:31:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Yea I get that feeling some times. It just blows me away that Jesus lived his whole
life without sin, and I can't seem to get thru one day without some kind of sin. Thank
God we are saved thru grace and not works. Our God is truly a awesome God.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Jsut remember, no matter how good you get you will never be perfect....

And there will always be a line of people to remind you of that.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:33:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Jsut remember, no matter how good you get you will never be perfect....

And there will always be a line of people to remind you of that.

Sgatr15

Thats true, but the Holy Spirit does it even more, and for that I am thankful. Gods grace is truly Amazing.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Before I went down on my knees and asked Jesus Christ to be my Lord and Savior, I struggled with the idea for a long time.  I believed that before I asked to be saved I had to become a perfect  model Christian without sin.  At the time I did not realize that I would never be perfect.  I decided to go ahead and ask Jesus to take control of my life and now regret not doing it sooner.  I still struggle with sin and usually beat myself up when I fall into sin, but I ask for forgiveness and vow to try harder the next time I am tempted.  I truly beleive that god is working with me at his pace.  My job is to try and do the best I possibly can.  Anyhow 10 months into my walk I feel I am a better person than ever.  I still have a long way to go, but I know God will guide me.  I hope this makes sense.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So here I am. Professed Christian, saved, and all that good stuff.

Or am I?

I believe in Christ, if for no other reason that I was brought up that way. The thing is, I've seen His hand move in my life, and even heard His voice once.

So I've accepted that He is my only, and I do mean ONLY, chance for salvation. Period. Paragraph. End of story. New book. New library.

The thing is, I can't shake the nagging doubt that I have not truly submitted. I still sin. Badly. On purpose. With full knowledge of what I'm doing. I sin in the flesh and in the heart. Guilty.

If I do that, then it stands to reason that I've not repented and really allowed Him into my heart. I don't expect to be sinless by any means, but I would have expected a change by now.

Admittedly, a good part of all this is lack of discipline, which I know I'm also guilty of, especially on a spiritual level. I'm not blaming anything on the Lord in this.

So, am I different, or am I just a Christian with too much time to dwell on this stuff?

Repentance, and one's failure to believe they've done it...  

If you have not repeated the offensive act, and shall not repeat in the future, then you have repented.  The Hebrew words for repentance are all common variations of a common root meaning "return".

Ed
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#14]
tag.  Good discussion
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:44:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm sorry to the point of embarassment that I haven't been back in here in so long. Been murder trying to work (HUGE presentation to everyone but God on Monday) and move/set up a new place.

I'll read every post in here soon enough. Be patient with me!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:30:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'll read every post in here soon enough. Be patient with me!

We're just happy you are here!

Sgat1r5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top