Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 7:54:51 AM EDT
I didn't want to hijack another thread.

I have been pondering an idea for a few weeks now.  It goes something like this...

Find a silly law on the books.  It's illegal to serve ice cream before 10 AM, or something equally ridiculous.  Start a movement to either have that law enforced, or removed from the books.  If a silly law is enforced, maybe average citizens will get upset about it and stop clammoring for a new law everytime a unique situation crops up.  If it is repealed, that takes time.  It takes time to draw up the documents, schedule time for a vote, vote, etc.  That is all time that is not spent passing new laws and raising taxes.

I thought it would be a fun exercise to write a letter to a representative with an example of a stupid law.  Then give them the choice to say they believe it should be enforced, repealed, or it should be kept and not enforced.  I know no politician would ever answer a multipule choice question like that without putting their spin on it, but it would be fun to see their reaction.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:58:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Good idea, but I think you would have a hard time keeping up with the stupid law production. Politicians don't get votes on stupid laws they repealed. It is their full-time job to produce more stupid laws. You can't keep up with 535 full-time pros.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#2]
You can't even get legislaors to address needed laws that need amendment/ revision due to court cases, so you aren't going to get them to do anything about old  obscure laws on the books that deal with things like farm animals on main street or that sort of thing ( although those are local laws and you might get some more attention from local politicians than you would at the state or federal levels).
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Good idea, but I think you would have a hard time keeping up with the stupid law production.

+1  I'm not a big fan of messing with Constitutions, but I'd encourage my reps to ratify one that required all legislation to sunset within a specified timeframe (e.g. 5 or 10 years).  Hopefully, that would keep the pos so busy keeping laws time has judged well from sunsetting, they wouldn't have time to write new, silly ones and would have to let the old silly ones lapse...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top