Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2005 4:49:23 PM EDT
My subscription to updates for Norton internet is ending soon. Should I pay the $40 to extend my subscription, or should I get a newer version?

The newer version in the box is about the same price as the cost of resubscribing to updates, after the rebate.

Or should I wait for the release of the 2006 version next month?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#2]
NEITHER

I would suggest trying  panda or nod32
avast

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:55:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Just buy the Norton Antivirus 2005. You can find it free after rebates. The rest of the suite will keep updating, when you run LiveUpdate. When you buy the renewal you are just buying the antivirus subscription, and it will also LiveUpdate the rest of the suite..
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#4]
BZZZZZT!

The correct answer is "hardware firewall/router", and keep ALL that shit software off your PC.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been using Norton for a number of years with no problems. I had to renew a couple of months ago so I downloaded the new version. Completely fucked my puter up! The highly trained offshore tech help was NO HELP. After a few zillion install/uninstalls I gave up and got Zone Alarm. I'm glad Norton gives refunds.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh dear Christ no not Norton products.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Norton can be a real pain.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#8]
My Norton calalog file says it's good to 2024
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#9]
The dirty little secret to Norton is that while AutoUpdates end when your sub runs out, you can download the manual updater from their web site, set your system clock back a year, and run it. Your system thinks it's still good to go.

One it runs, fix your system clock, and you're golden.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:06:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been fine with Norton's firewall and antivirus software, not many problems of how it does it's job.  What I don't enjoy is the licensing hassle they create and the constant messages that you're about to expire.  I finally tossed Norton and run with ZoneAlarm and AVG (Avast on some systems).  As a plus...they're free!

As a side note, I'd be fine with running Norton's 2003 product as it's still updated.  Some of the more recent products in their "Internet Security" bundle they've added more and more "privacy" and other tools that I don't find nearly as useful.  And as for their "System Works" product, I avoid that one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top