Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:28:27 AM EST

Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

It also prevents mentally ill individuals from buying guns

That pretty much excludes all liberals.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:33:08 AM EST
Some people are more equal than others.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:34:11 AM EST
What about tougher laws for shooting uhmmmm... non cops?
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:37:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By rifleman2000:

Fuck em, if you want your life to mean more during a sentencing hearing ... become a cop.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:44:29 AM EST
minimum sentences are BS.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:44:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2008 6:45:21 AM EST by ophelan]

Cops are special, didn't you hear?

No disrespect intended; the police have a tough job, and I appreciate their service. There just really doesn't need to be two laws for shooting different demographics of a population.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:50:12 AM EST
Makes no-knock raids at the wrong address become the right address by default?

Anyone who'd fire a shot in self defense is... DONE.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:51:08 AM EST

"We need to make it a crime for failure to report a lost or stolen gun — no ifs, ands or buts," Rendell said. "We need to go further."

Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:57:11 AM EST

+1/2

Why not make it the same for everyone?
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:57:37 AM EST
I see nothing wrong with passing laws that cover matters alredy covered by a multitude of other laws.
It's not like these guys are looking for ways to undermine our rights just to make their lives easier.
If the cop culture in this country held negative stereotypes about the average citizen that justifies a heavy handed superiority complex this would be totally out of line but we know thats not the case.

Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:59:41 AM EST

That's kind of what makes me go

Fuck, just make the crimes for murder worse for friggin' everybody. As though somebody about to shoot a cop or anybody for that matter, is going to say, wait now, i would have done it for 15yrs, but no way for 20.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 7:00:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By Torf:

"We need to make it a crime for failure to report a lost or stolen gun — no ifs, ands or buts," Rendell said. "We need to go further."

So if they find a gun that was recently used in a crime....

they can trace it back to the owner,
who may or may NOT even realize it's missing...

and attempt to hang him with some responsibility in an act of another?
Say people that were killed by someone else?

Link Posted: 10/18/2008 7:00:11 AM EST

No, the penalties should be higher because cops are better than regular civilians.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 7:02:28 AM EST

Originally Posted By gonzo_beyondo:

Agree... I have a queasy feeling about this "New Law"... most here are happy about the
other provisions in the new law, This is apparently from the NRA:

Pennsylvania Governor Signs Important Pro-Gun Bill into Law!

Friday, October 17, 2008

"Today, Friday, October 17, Governor Ed Rendell (D) signed House Bill 1845 into effect. HB1845 is an omnibus legislative package that contains a number of pro-gun provisions for Pennsylvania gun owners. Among the provisions was an “Emergency Powers” reform measure prohibiting any government agency from confiscating firearms during a state of emergency, such as occurred in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

Other important provisions include:

* establishing the lawful carry of a concealed firearm in state parks;
* funding for the acclaimed “Don’t Lie For The Other Guy” program administered by the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF); and,
* an emergency permitting system for concealed carry licenses for individuals who are under immediate threat.

Thank you to all of the NRA members who took action in support of this important legislation. Without you, this victory would not have been possible."

Link Posted: 10/18/2008 7:05:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By GLHX2112:
Agree... I have a queasy feeling about this "New Law"... most here are happy about the
other provisions in the new law, This is apparently from the NRA:

Yeah, I can see why they're happy.

I'm queasy though too.
I don't like "us vs. them" and they've now made an extremely clear distinction.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 7:26:44 AM EST

"It's a good day for Pennsylvania and a great day for law enforcement," said Philadelphia District Attorney Lynne Abraham, who pushed for the changes.

No, it isn't.

Whatever happened to equal protection under the law?

I'm all for minimum mandatory 20 year sentencing, but it should apply to everyone that is shot/shot at, not just law enforcement officers.

Here's hoping this craptastic law gets challenged.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 7:30:05 AM EST

Exactly, they've been pushing this bullshit here for a couple years, of course it started in Philly, by ultra-liberal Democrats.

Soon coming to a state near you.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 7:38:24 AM EST
This law is the direct result of those idiots that go around spouting off the crap about:

"They should get another job if it's so dangerous!"

"It's their job to get shot at!"

"Good shoot on the JBT!"

"Police don't have a dangerous job, CRAB fishermen have a dangerous job!"

These idiots end up on juries and want to give probation to a murdering thug because they are so tied up in the "Man will get his" fantasy garbage.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:02:06 AM EST
They should outlaw criminals.

Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:15:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2008 9:16:39 AM EST by MochaJava]
Piggy-backed onto this law was a "No Katrina gun confiscation" law and the legalization of gun carry in state parks.

Friday, October 17, 2008

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=4211

Today, Friday, October 17, Governor Ed Rendell (D) signed House Bill 1845 into effect. HB1845 is an omnibus legislative package that contains a number of pro-gun provisions for Pennsylvania gun owners. Among the provisions was an “Emergency Powers” reform measure prohibiting any government agency from confiscating firearms during a state of emergency, such as occurred in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

* funding for the acclaimed “Don’t Lie For The Other Guy” program administered by the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF); and,
* an emergency permitting system for concealed carry licenses for individuals who are under immediate threat.

Thank you to all of the NRA members who took action in support of this important legislation. Without you, this victory would not have been possible.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:28:12 AM EST
Why don't we just actually execute the cop killer from Philly instead?
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:30:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By Hammer2Fall:

Exactly, they've been pushing this bullshit here for a couple years, of course it started in Philly, by ultra-liberal Democrats.

Everytime I read that BS, I always wonder if it is actually intended as a boating safety provision
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:35:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By Plumbata:
This law is the direct result of those idiots that go around spouting off the crap about:

"Good shoot on the JBT!"

These idiots end up on juries and want to give probation to a murdering thug because they are so tied up in the "Man will get his" fantasy garbage.

I found your post to be a direct assault upon my intellect.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 10:12:24 AM EST
I have no problem with prosecuting people who break the law harder. I really find nothing wrong with this bill, especially because of the good stuff that was passed along with it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:34:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By SIRIUS1:
Some people are more equal than others.

And some people are more stupid than others.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:37:45 AM EST

Originally Posted By MochaJava:
Piggy-backed onto this law was a "No Katrina gun confiscation" law and the legalization of gun carry in state parks.

Friday, October 17, 2008

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=4211

Today, Friday, October 17, Governor Ed Rendell (D) signed House Bill 1845 into effect. HB1845 is an omnibus legislative package that contains a number of pro-gun provisions for Pennsylvania gun owners. Among the provisions was an “Emergency Powers” reform measure prohibiting any government agency from confiscating firearms during a state of emergency, such as occurred in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

Thank you to all of the NRA members who took action in support of this important legislation. Without you, this victory would not have been possible.

Really?
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:39:28 AM EST

Originally Posted By Jrock82:
I have no problem with prosecuting people who break the law harder. I really find nothing wrong with this bill, especially because of the good stuff that was passed along with it.

The part that's bullshit is that if say, my wife gets murdered in cold blood, and a cop gets murdered, somehow the cops life is worth a larger minimum sentence.
Bullshit. Raise minimum sentences for EVERYONE, or just institute the death penalty for cold blooded murderers...
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 3:59:54 AM EST
I think if crimes against police officers result in stiffer sentences then police officers who commit crimes should have equally stiffer sentences!
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:28:07 AM EST
Just more Laws that offer no deterrence to violent individuals.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:42:02 AM EST

"Good shoot on the JBT!"

This is the truth...not that it will matter in GD.

An assault on a LEO is an assault on the law as a whole. It is an assault on the People...all of the people as LEOs are in effect, the direct representative of the government elected by the people.

Because of that, an assault on an LEO is in fact different than an assault on a non LEO.

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:56:30 AM EST

Originally Posted By FedDC:

"Good shoot on the JBT!"

An assault on a LEO is an assault on the law as a whole. It is an assault on the People...all of the people as LEOs are in effect, the direct representative of the government elected by the people.

Because of that, an assault on an LEO is in fact different than an assault on a non LEO.

Bullshit. Tell that to the family members of those murdered. Ones job or line of work does not them more important than anyone else.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:20:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/19/2008 5:21:33 AM EST by BillofRights]

"Good shoot on the JBT!"

Plumbata, Please explain to us how this law is a direct result of "those idiots that go around spouting off the crap about......" all those quotes that you posted?

FedDC, since you seem to agree with him, the question is open to you as well.

Maybe you could post some statistics which show that we have an epidemic of criminals getting away with assaulting police officers?

I'm not against making the penalties harsher, but I am against creating a special category of citizens. It just leads to more "Us vs. them" mentality, and we already have enough of that.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:33:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By Machinist:
I think if crimes against police officers result in stiffer sentences then police officers who commit crimes should have equally stiffer sentences!

I'd like a Corvette, but that doesn't mean I'm getting one.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:34:08 AM EST

This. It is not the individual that rates the penalty. It is the crime against the state.

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:50:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By CarbineDad:

Originally Posted By Hammer2Fall:

Everytime I read that BS, I always wonder if it is actually intended as a boating safety provision

I see your , but you know thats not why.

Uniform patrol picks up some s.o.b. with a handgun that just got finished doing a drive-by, he says 'Yeah I bought this gun from so-and-so'.

Detectives go pay a visit to Mr. So-and-so, his version is that the gun was stolen, but he doesn't know the jackass parasite that was arrested, despite Mr. Parasite living on the same block and drinking in the same local bar.

After the trial, Mr. So-and-so recovers his "stolen" property, a few months later, detectives are back at his house because his gun was recovered again at a crime scene.

And the whole charade begins again.

Straw purchasers pull this shit all the time.

It's a very bad law though because it will unlikely ever be used against actual straw purchasers, who are rarely caught, and even more rarely prosecuted. While Joe and Jane Upright Citizen will get crushed under the full weight of our judicial system for being legitimate victims of a crime.

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:52:59 AM EST

"Good shoot on the JBT!"

That is an IMPRESSIVE pile of bullshit!

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:54:47 AM EST

"Good shoot on the JBT!"

I was wondering when you would show up.

You didn't disappoint.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:55:07 AM EST
An assault on the kings soldiers is the same as an assault on the king himself.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:59:44 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:01:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/19/2008 6:10:13 AM EST by NMGlocker]
After you shoot the first one, the rest are now free.
If you're going to the chair for the first one, what can they do? Execute you twice?
40 years is a life sentence... 80, 120, 160 years aren't any more of a deterant.
This won't be a deterrant to da boyz in da hood.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:03:47 AM EST

Originally Posted By Gloftoe:
Sorry, but my life is just as important as a police officer's life.

Stupid law. Tougher penalties for shooting (at) a cop? Tougher penalties for shooting at Joe Citizen. Neither is better than the other.

I don't like laws like this, but I understand them. It's not really about the cop's life, it's about respecting the authority. Because the legislators know without the cops they are fucked.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:03:51 AM EST
A person is a person, that is what I have always been taught. This is a stupid law that should never pass. If they pass it all people should be included.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 8:59:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By BillofRights:

"Good shoot on the JBT!"

Plumbata, Please explain to us how this law is a direct result of "those idiots that go around spouting off the crap about......" all those quotes that you posted?

FedDC, since you seem to agree with him, the question is open to you as well.

Maybe you could post some statistics which show that we have an epidemic of criminals getting away with assaulting police officers?

I'm not against making the penalties harsher, but I am against creating a special category of citizens. It just leads to more "Us vs. them" mentality, and we already have enough of that.

It is not us vs them anywhere outside GD.

It is not even about the individual LEO being assaulted...

It is about the assault on the law and the society that created those laws through a democratic process. An assault on the LEO who is enforcing those laws is functionally an assault on the process as a whole and everyone that participates in it. If that process and structure of laws is allowed to break down, the society as a whole breaks down.

That is why there is a stiff penalty.

Additionally, there are more than a few tin foil hatters who secretly love it when they get to "stick it to the man" and don't see LEOs being hurt or killed as a big deal...the juvenile resentment for authority is rampant in some circles...like GD.

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 10:25:08 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 10:30:15 AM EST

Originally Posted By distributor_of_pain:
minimum sentences are BS.

Mandatory minimums are incentives for the criminal to fight, they do more harm than good and likely get cops killed.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 10:35:50 AM EST
So everything in this bill is good, and it protects rather than jeopardizes our second amendment rights.

And still, you whine.

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 10:40:05 AM EST
this is BS . most of the time around here if somone shoots a cop or shoots at a cop. they are shot to death when the cops find them . no cap killer trials around here
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 10:46:29 AM EST

I sure hope not.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top