Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2006 1:36:39 PM EDT
Got a friend from California who is now officially a Texan resident and proud of it. He wants me to come over tonight and remove the tube plug from his shotgun so it can hold more than three rounds. I dunno what it is and he forgot, but he thinks it's a Winchester. It's pump-action and according to him it should hold five rounds but because of the plug he had to have where he lived it could only hold three.

I've got a video for field-stripping a Mossberg 500, but I dunno how useful that would be. What would I do to remove the plug, just unscrew the end-cap and pull it out?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hijack, but I have a Beretta AL390 semi-auto that I cannot figure out how to get the plug out of either.  I think the tube will hold 3 or 4 rounds but with the plug only holds 2. I took the handguard off and it seems that the tube is enclosed and does not come off of the receiver.  There is no end cap like on a 500, so you can't get into it except from the inside of the receiver where you insert the shells. WTF? Any suggestions?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup.remove the cap and CAREFULLY wiggle the end of the plug,aiming it away from your face.It's spring loaded.Keep some pressure on it and slowly let it come back.Once you remove the plug,work the spring back in,should be a metal ring next,then keep one thumb on it and start the threads on the cap.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#3]
No problem. We got the same problem, might as well condense it into one thread, right?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#4]
It should be pretty easy.

MAKE SURE THE GUN IS UNLOADED!!!
Then............
Unscrew the cap off the mag tube (BE CAREFUL OF SPRING PRESSURE) if there IS a spring retainer in the end of the tube, you'll probably need a small screwdriver to pry it out, once again be careful of spring pressure. You should see the end of a wood or plastic dowel inside the mag tube. I've seen several kinds so it's hard telling whats inside. Remove the plug, replace the spring retainer and mag tube cap. You should be good to go.

FYI: I am making an assumption that his shotgun is a Win 1300. If not, most other pumpers are very similar.

Again, make sure the gun is unloaded and watch your eyes because of the spring.

Good luck and tell your friend congrats on leaving Kommifornia!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a video for field-stripping a Mossberg 500, but I dunno how useful that would be. What would I do to remove the plug, just unscrew the end-cap and pull it out?

for a mossberg 500,
1)  unscrew the barrel retaining screw and remove the barrel
2) tilt the rear of the shotgun up, wiggle the gun
3) look at the hiole where the retaning screw screwed in, you should see the end of a small wooden dowel
4) grab the end of the dowel and remove, you may or maynot need a pair of pliers to get a grip on it , sometimes they slid right out.
5) enjoy being able to load the gun to full capacity
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

for a mossberg 500,
1)  unscrew the barrel retaining screw and remove the barrel
2) tilt the rear of the shotgun up, wiggle the gun
3) look at the hiole where the retaning screw screwed in, you should see the end of a small wooden dowel
4) grab the end of the dowel and remove, you may or maynot need a pair of pliers to get a grip on it , sometimes they slid right out.
5) enjoy being able to load the gun to full capacity

The gun isn't a Mossberg, he's pretty sure it's a Winchester.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#7]
just remember to remind him that if he hunts *migratory birds* here in TX that he needs to plug is back to 2 rounds (3 shots max)
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:00:15 AM EDT
[#8]
He doesn't hunt with it. He just shoots clays with it and- get this- bought some "emergency ammo" (one box) in case of "zombies".

I'll make an ARFCOMMER out of him yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top