Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2004 4:41:13 PM EDT
I have one of those B&D electric hedge trimmers and I find it's a PITA to clean up the blades after trimming juniper. Simple Green works fair with a lot of scrubbing, but I was wondering if there is something else I can use that will easily cut through juniper sap?

I already tried carb cleaner and Brake-Kleen.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Why are you cleaning sap off the blades of a trimmer?  Off a car, okee dokee, but off a tool used to cut trees?  Pending inspection?  

It's like cleaning the dirt off a shovel.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#2]
try WD40
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Plain ol' paint thinner, kerosene or diesel (whichever is cheaper in your area). Allow to soak overnight (either in a cookie sheet or via wrapping the blades in wet rags...with suitable precautions against spontaneous combustion). Icky gooey stuff will then come off easily with a gasket scraper/mondo screwdriver.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Goo Gone works on a lot of sticky stuff. I keep a bottle in the house.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have one of those B&D electric hedge trimmers and I find it's a PITA to clean up the blades after trimming juniper. Simple Green works fair with a lot of scrubbing, but I was wondering if there is something else I can use that will easily cut through juniper sap?

I already tried carb cleaner and Brake-Kleen.

Deep woods off
but becareful  it eats paint
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:16:57 PM EDT
[#6]
There's a product called "Goof Off" that you can get at any good hardware store like Home Despot or Lowe's.   I've used this stuff many times on Pine tree sap.  It'll do the job nicely.

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I know butter works well on Pine sap, I used to work in a lumber mill and it would take the shit off quick.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:27:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It's like cleaning the dirt off a shovel.

hah.

mineral spirits will do it. I think rubbing alcohol will, as well.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I saving the mineral spirits to clean the Yugo M48, but what the hell.

That Goof Off and Goo Gone sounds like a plan too, thanks guys.

Deep woods off? That's an insect repellent.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#10]
GooGone or Oops by brand name

Kerosene, acetone-nail polish remover
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Automotive bug and tar remover??
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Make tea of it.
Juniper berries and sap is edible.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Goo Gone works on a lot of sticky stuff. I keep a bottle in the house.

Absolutely, positively what he said !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top