Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/3/2009 11:06:57 AM EDT
Just thought I'd get the GD's opinion on which is better and why.

870 Express Tactical Riot, or the 590 Persuader. They are close enough on price that it doesn't matter. They weigh the same. The Persuader has a 20" barrel with 8 2 3/4 capacity as opposed to the 870 with an 18" barrel and a capacity of 6.

What say ye?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Thats the second time I've seen reference here to an 870 tactical Riot. Is this a new model? Google brings up all kinds of stuff but no direct reference to that model.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm considering a 590A1 because of the tang safety (I'm a lefty), but don't currently own either so voted pie.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Remington for me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#4]
i own mossy's and rem's in a couple of different flavors - both mossberg and remington make good shotguns - you will not be dissapointed with either
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I have 2 of each.  2 870s and 2 500s.  The 500s are junk in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thats the second time I've seen reference here to an 870 tactical Riot. Is this a new model? Google brings up all kinds of stuff but no direct reference to that model.

I think the correct name for it is just remington 870 express synthetic (18" barrel with 2 shot extension from the factory).

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I went with Remington only for the reason that I have had jamming issues with mossbergs.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Get both.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm considering a 590A1 because of the tang safety (I'm a lefty), but don't currently own either so voted pie.

What does being a lefty have to do with preference to the safety? It goes left to right for a righty or a lefty. You just go in different directions right?

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Mossbergs are junk compared to Remingtons.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Mossy 590. I figger if it's good enough for the Corps (the 870 wasn't), it's good enough for me.

Really, though, as said above you can't go wrong with either. I think the 590 is less expensive and you can put a bayonet on it (unlike the 870). If that's important to you...
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
i own mossy's and rem's in a couple of different flavors - both mossberg and remington make good shotguns - you will not be dissapointed with either

I agree with this.Pretty much down to personal preference/feel.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I went with Remington only for the reason that I have had jamming issues with mossbergs.

I believe the big selling point is that the 870 uses two slide bars for the pump and the Mossberg only one.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Why? I've never owned a remington shotgun. What makes them better?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Get both.

this is the only correct response.  but i prefer the mossy's ergodynamics compared to the remington.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as the 870 goes, they aren't made from fragile parts, they aren't all loosy-goosy, they don't fall apart, they don't have extraction problems...

And I hate the pump on Mossbergs, they're awkward. It messes with my grip, the pump is too far forward. But that's just my opinion.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As far as the 870 goes, they aren't made from fragile parts, they aren't all loosy-goosy, they don't fall apart, they don't have extraction problems...

Not to mention that piece of shit tang safety breaks, if you're lucky it renders the gun inoperable, if you're unlucky, it makes it unsafe.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll go with Remington.
Only because I don't have one yet!
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention that piece of shit tang safety breaks in a home defense situation, if you're lucky it renders the gun inoperable unsafe, if you're unlucky, it makes it unsafe inoperable.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I duracoat firearms as a hobby. I've done, well let's say several 870's and several mossys. Take them both all the way apart

and put them back together again enough times you find out soon which firearm is better.

The 870 is better hands down. MUCH better made.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I like the Mossberg. Completely personal preference both are good guns. I don't like the tang safety though.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the big selling point is that the 870 uses two slide bars for the pump and the Mossberg only one.

Isn't that what Mossy owners used to say about the 870??? Mossbergs have two slide bars. The parts aren't all delicate and breakable, and they eject just fine. Jesus, some of the shit you guys post is wild.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#24]
M590A1 20" barrel, 9 shot capacity.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#25]
870 - just a better made shotgun.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
870 - just a better made shotgun.

I own both and can honestly say that is NOT the case with the ones I own.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Get both.

This.  They're both fine, quality shotguns.  You will not go wrong with either one.

I went with Mossberg initially due to location of the safety and the fact the used Mossberg I was looking at was cheaper than the used 870 that was there and I wasn't walking out without a good shotgun.

I will likely be buying an 870 some time in the future, though.  They're both great guns.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to mention that piece of shit tang safety breaks in a home defense situation, if you're lucky it renders the gun inoperable unsafe, if you're unlucky, it makes it unsafe inoperable.

I get it depends on your situation.  The 500 this happened to me on was a field gun, a hunting gun, I can live with it going down in the field, I can't live with it going off at an inopportune time because it caught a twig or branch.

Fuck, I just looked and it's still where I put it, in a box, 10 years ago.  I was 19 when this happened, I had emailed Mossberg about sending me the parts to fix it, and they refused because I wasn't a gun smith.  So I put it in a box and bought an 870.

Maybe I'll try and fix it now that I have a little more knowledge and resources for parts.  Save it for a beater truck gun.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:42:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get it depends on your situation.  The 500 this happened to me on was a field gun, a hunting gun, I can live with it going down in the field, I can't live with it going off at an inopportune time because it caught a twig or branch.

Fuck, I just looked and it's still where I put it, in a box, 10 years ago.  I was 19 when this happened, I had emailed Mossberg about sending me the parts to fix it, and they refused because I wasn't a gun smith.  So I put it in a box and bought an 870.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn203/kuraki556/Untitled-1.jpg

Maybe I'll try and fix it now that I have a little more knowledge and resources for parts.  Save it for a beater truck gun.

What a bunch of crap. What is Mossberg's problem? I guess their lawyers tell them to say that to keep them from being liable for idiots.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#30]
I've owned both, the 870 is easily the better shotgun IMO. The Mossberg rattles, feels cheaply made, and is more prone to malfuntion than the 870.

I'm no tactical operator, but I've spent many hours in nasty conditions hunting waterfowl with both. The 870 guns I've owned & been around have went bang every time, but I've witnessed Mossbergs have many malfunctions.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:51:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't that what Mossy owners used to say about the 870??? Mossbergs have two slide bars. The parts aren't all delicate and breakable, and they eject just fine. Jesus, some of the shit you guys post is wild.

The older Mossbergs have a single slide bar and I guess Mossberg has since updated to the two bar design, to keep it from binding (common complaint).

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:51:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gun companies generally won't send safeties or parts of the safety to non-factory authorized repair shops/gunsmiths  for liability reasons.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#33]
i love my remington 870 tactical with surefire LED forend

and look at this crap mossberg is putting on their shotguns

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Been skeet shooting with a couple freinds that were shooting Mossbergs, one a 12 ga, the other a 20ga. They were both having the problem of a live round being pumped out of the mag. tube and flying out the ejection port. Then you pull the trigger on an empty chamber. That's got to be the loudest click in the world.

At first I thought they were short stroking and not getting one out of the mag, so I stood were I could really watch them and saw the live round come out right behind the hull. This happened at least 10 times in 200 rounds, from two different 500's. I lost a lot of faith in 500's that day.
I would love to know if that is a common problem.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:54:04 AM EDT
[#35]
18" was the winner. Both guns are good guns.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What a bunch of crap. What is Mossberg's problem? I guess their lawyers tell them to say that to keep them from being liable for idiots.

Remington won't do it either, go a head and try to order a part for the trigger group.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#38]

Yeah, that's an abortion. I have a 500 my uncle gave me. It's 30 years old, ugly as hell with paint peeling off, but its killed many a deer and turkey, and I've had a lot of success with clay pigeons with it. I think I will go with the 870 (if not for the advice on this board, then because I don't have one).
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Benelli. I have a Remington all decked out with Scattergun Technolgies stuff- even there ~$170 Ghostring sights and my Nova Tactical is MUCH better. I paid about $350 for it with Ghostring sights. I have another $75 into for an extended magazine and side saddle. I am getting a Picatinny rail installed for an optic, but that is another story.

This is what my finished Nova will look like:
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:00:29 PM EDT
[#40]
steel vs aluminum. In my book the 870 steel receiver wins over aluminum or plastic.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Remington 870...

The schlack-schlack is pure butter...
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:03:40 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#43]
As a lefty I favor Mossberg.  I do own a Remington as well and it's a great shotgun; just not as lefty friendly.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And I hate the pump on Mossbergs, they're awkward. It messes with my grip, the pump is too far forward. But that's just my opinion.

I have two 500s.  Both are solid as a rock, have had many, many shells through them of all sorts with nary a mechanical problem of any kind.  They've performed flawlessly.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Both are quality guns. My thoughts are if you ever plan on putting a stock with a pistol grip (speedfeed, knoxx, etc.)  Go with the remington as the safety is in a better position to manipulate on an 870. If you plan on leaving it w/ a regular stock, you can't go wrong w/ either

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#47]
I had an 870 Express.  It was a piece of shit that refused to feed despite three trips in for service.  I traded it for a Mossberg 500 and I couldn't be happier.  It feeds and ejects great.  According to the "experts" here, I must have a "defective" one.  

BTW: Mossberg took the Kalashnikov approach.  They built the 500 with a lot of mechanical clearance so it's less likely to have problems when dirty.  That's why the pump is a little loose on the tube.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#48]
I would go with Rem 870. Don't know about other guns such as Beretta and Benelli, but I understand they are good guns also

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, my friend had the same problem with a broken safety when we went to Lytle Creek 20 years ago. The Moss plastic ambi safety switch broke during the informal shooting session early on, and he had to actually rig a shoe string to hold the safety in place so that we can shoot it, otherwise the gun thinks the safety is "on," and won't let it fire.

If I had a Moss, and it had a plastic safety switch, I would definitely spend the extra $5 to get a metal one.

I have a Rem 870 & 11-87, and I've had zero problems.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#49]
I vote mossberg.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
steel vs aluminum. In my book the 870 steel receiver wins over aluminum or plastic.

That shows you don't know anything about either.  On both, the bolt locks into an extension on the barrel.  Steel on steel for either design.  You could make a receiver out of paper mache and it wouldn't matter because the locking is steel on steel.  Aluminum is lighter and it can't rust, a common problem with the 870.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top