Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2010 6:42:42 PM EDT
Some time ago someone posted in a GD thread that they would never buy a Remington 700 series bolt-action rifle since the company had "changed their receiver design so all the new ones were butchered, " or something to that effect.  I never got a reply in the thread or via IM when I asked what change had taken place.  Anyone know?

Did they make it more difficult to covert a bolt-action to full-auto by putting a block in there or something?  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Some time ago someone posted in a GD thread that they would never buy a Remington 700 series bolt-action rifle since the company had "changed their receiver design so all the new ones were butchered, " or something to that effect.  I never got a reply in the thread or via IM when I asked what change had taken place.  Anyone know?

Did they make it more difficult to covert a bolt-action to full-auto by putting a block in there or something?  

Nah, its easy convert one to full auto, you just have to file the little piece off the [...]

For what its worth I picked one up a while back, it shoots okay but no where near as good as I expected.  I suspect it makes a big platform to build on, but not much else.  I wish I would have bought a Savage 110 instead.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#2]
There are plenty of good reasons to avoid the 700 Remington but the only change I'm aware of (other than the J Lock Fiasco) happened in 1984 when they made a change which allowed the bolt to cycle with the saftey in the on position.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Did they mean Remington 710, 715 & 770 Rifles ?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never had an out of the Box Remington 700 shoot well but I have made Remington 700s shoot with the addition of a new barrel and better stock.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Some of them are really getting cheesy. Like the SPS, I dont see or feel quality in them like a CDL or BDL. Design changes outside of the shroud locks and some trigger changes arent there that I notice.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Some of them are really getting cheesy. Like the SPS, I dont see or feel quality in them like a CDL or BDL. Design changes outside of the shroud locks and some trigger changes arent there that I notice.

SPS = Cheapest way to get my hands on a 700 action.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:51:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Some of the Fuds I work with swear by Remington.... because of brand recognition.  I agree Savage is a better shooter out of the box.  No clue what the recent change was other than the J lock.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#8]
mine was made in 65 i believe.  so i have no idea. mine shoots great.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I've never had an out of the Box Remington 700 shoot well but I have made Remington 700s shoot with the addition of a new barrel and better stock.  

So.. the receiver and bolt are its only merits.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I highly suspect this is gunshop BS.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#11]
back in the day they made a really smooth as glass action and an accurate rifle to boot. Now it takes a lot more work to get it smooth and usually a re barrel
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So.. the receiver and bolt are its only merits.

Yes. This goes for all production guns. But some actions are better than others.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My opinion on the SPS is that everything but the stock is workable.  I own 2.  One I left as is for hunting, and the other I am in the process of dropping into a bell and carlson medalist stock.  Both guns shot sub MOA with hand loads out of the box.  Considering that probably 90% of these entry level bolt action guns are used for hunting, that's a more than acceptable accuracy standard.  That being said, the savage accu-trigger is much better than the new X-mark pro adjustable trigger. Also, the savage is much easier to rebarrel.    

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:11:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My opinion on the SPS is that everything but the stock is workable.  I own 2.  One I left as is for hunting, and the other I am in the process of dropping into a bell and carlson medalist stock.  Both guns shot sub MOA with hand loads out of the box.  Considering that probably 90% of these entry level bolt action guns are used for hunting, that's a more than acceptable accuracy standard.  That being said, the savage accu-trigger is much better than the new X-mark pro adjustable trigger. Also, the savage is much easier to rebarrel.    

Ditto on the trigger.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:11:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ive found that getting a used ADL or some other version of the 700 thats older and laying around at a gunshow, flea market or yard sale has been my best route. Ive gotten lucky even though 8 out of 10 are long actions.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a late 80's Mountain Rifle, in .280. It was accurate right out of the box, but would string shots vertically after about 6 shots. Granted, that's a lot of shots quickly for a light barreled hunting rifle, but after I rasped off the nub in the barrel channel, it puts all the shot where I want.

It's my only experience with Remington, so an example of one. I'll keep it, hopefully pass it one to one of my grandkids.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

This was my first thought as well.

Those models all suck.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Remington makes a entire range of 700 rifles and unless you specify which 700 you are generalizing. Buy a 700 SPS for $400 at walmart and complaining about 2 moa accuracy? That's like buying a 4 cylinder Ford Mustang and are complaining about losing a drag race. A 700 5R Milspec is probably one of the best out of the box rifles you can buy today. It's still less that a thousand dollars. The 700 Sendero and the 700 P are great rifles as well. Look at what most of the custom actions are based off of- it's often they base their actions off of a 700- it's a solid platform.

paid $960 for mine. love it to death.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ive found that getting a used ADL or some other version of the 700 thats older and laying around at a gunshow, flea market or yard sale has been my best route. Ive gotten lucky even though 8 out of 10 are long actions.

The old ones are WAAAAY crookeder than the new production stuff when you tear 'em apart and start checking things out.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:24:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If anything I think this is what the OP heard.    These are some real mickey mouse shit.    

As far as the 700.. a 700 is a 700.   Only changes I know of are the lock integrated into the firing pin and the "tamper proof" stuff they did to the trigger assy.   Both are easilly replaceable.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:23:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, its easy convert one to full auto, you just have to file the little piece off the [...]

For what its worth I picked one up a while back, it shoots okay but no where near as good as I expected.  I suspect it makes a big platform to build on, but not much else.  I wish I would have bought a Savage 110 instead.

A big +1

I purchased a NIB, 700 PSS a few years ago and mounted a Leupold  VX4 scope on it with Badger rings and base. From a fixed rest this rifle would shoot no better than 2.5MOA. The factory trigger is crap, too much free bore and the whole rifle has very poor part to part fit.

FWIW- I purchased a Savage with the accu-trigger and a cheap Simmons scope (cheap mount too) already installed for less than 1/2 what I paid for just the 700PSS and with the same ammo (both rifles .308) it shoots 1MOA consistantly.

IMHO- Remington 700s have been coasting on there reputation for quite some time.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:36:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A big +1

I purchased a NIB, 700 PSS a few years ago and mounted a Leupold  VX4 scope on it with Badger rings and base. From a fixed rest this rifle would shoot no better than 2.5MOA. The factory trigger is crap, too much free bore and the whole rifle has very poor part to part fit.

FWIW- I purchased a Savage with the accu-trigger and a cheap Simmons scope (cheap mount too) already installed for less than 1/2 what I paid for just the 700PSS and with the same ammo (both rifles .308) it shoots 1MOA consistantly.

IMHO- Remington 700s have been coasting on there reputation for quite some time.

Not going to take away from the Savage,  I agree that they make some fine shooting rifles.  

I must have gotten an exception in the PSS because with Fed GM I was shooting avg 1" @ 300yards the best being 5/8" at 300 yards.      After experimenting with reloads, I found seating the same lenght as the Fed. GM rather than to the lands gave the best groups.   I used the same mounts with a leupold LRT 6-20 and adjusted trigger to 2-1/4 lbs
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:43:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a stock 700 Sendero that I'd out shoot 99% of the guys on here with.

Here's my wife's target from it the first time she ever shot it from 300yds.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:48:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My .308 deer rifle was built useing a ADL as a base as I prefer a blind magazine on a hunting rifle. I had it rebarreled (McMillian) and restocked/bedded in a Bell and Carlson stock with the blind swivel bars molded into the stock and  had Leupold glass in Redfield steel mounts installed on it back in the mid 80s and it is as accurate a rifle as one could wish for. It will still shoot cloverleafs at 100 yds. It's a bit long in the tooth and well used but it was the best money I've spent on a Fudd gun and has served me well.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:54:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A big +1

Not going to take away from the Savage,  I agree that they make some fine shooting rifles.  

I must have gotten an exception in the PSS because with Fed GM I was shooting avg 1" @ 300yards the best being 5/8" at 300 yards.      After experimenting with reloads, I found seating the same lenght as the Fed. GM rather than to the lands gave the best groups.   I used the same mounts with a leupold LRT 6-20 and adjusted trigger to 2-1/4 lbs

In my experience there is no way you could have reached the lands handloading anyhow, I tried to find the lands with a Hornady OAL Guage on a bone stock 700P, the the bullet fell out of the case before it touched the lands, and this was with long ass Lapua 155gr Scenars.

I have heard the Rems are Lawyer proofed for handloaders, they don't want you creating an overpressure issue by cramming the bullet in the case with the lands.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:56:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, they've slapped together some cheap versions lately that are hit or miss. I wouldn't buy a new one.

I've got an old BDL with some light custom work, it's awesome.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:09:33 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm surprised by the Savage love.

I had a .243 with the Accu Trigger and it wouldn't put 3 rounds any closer than 2" at 100yds. And that was with $35 varmint crap.

With off the shelf Remington, I'd be looking at 4 inches or more.

I sold it within a year and put that money towards a 700 SPS Tactical in .308. I've been as happy as a pig in sh*t since. The 700 would put 5rds into an inch with a sweatshirt as a rest on a windy day. I just wish I had a little more time to shoot rifles these days.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:57:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A big +1

In my experience there is no way you could have reached the lands handloading anyhow, I tried to find the lands with a Hornady OAL Guage on a bone stock 700P, the the bullet fell out of the case before it touched the lands, and this was with long ass Lapua 155gr Scenars.

I have heard the Rems are Lawyer proofed for handloaders, they don't want you creating an overpressure issue by cramming the bullet in the case with the lands.

I don't remember what it was to be exact, infact the numbers in my head are based on measuments from a jig I made to measure 1/4" down from the tip rather than the tip.   The OAL was over .100" longer than a Fed. GM.  but a 168g SMK reached.    

Weatherby was another one famous for a long ass jump to the lands.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:20:29 AM EDT
[#30]
I Have sendero sf2 in .300 win mag. terrific shooter, with 165 ballistic tip i get 1 moa. im sure its capable of more but im not lol.

i replaced the drop floor with a badger ordnance detach mag and added a vais muzzle break and it makes this a relatively tame gun to shoot, except that it weighs in excess of 13 lbs.

stay away from the "7xx" series rifles they are junk.

stick with the 700

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:38:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm surprised by the Savage love.

I had a .243 with the Accu Trigger and it wouldn't put 3 rounds any closer than 2" at 100yds. And that was with $35 varmint crap.

With off the shelf Remington, I'd be looking at 4 inches or more.

I sold it within a year and put that money towards a 700 SPS Tactical in .308. I've been as happy as a pig in sh*t since. The 700 would put 5rds into an inch with a sweatshirt as a rest on a windy day. I just wish I had a little more time to shoot rifles these days.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I feel the same about my SPS Tactical.  I ditched the hogue stock for a B&C lightweight tatical.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:18:11 AM EDT
[#32]
My .308 700VSF with handloads and a new trigger shoots about 3/8" at 100yds.  Well, I think it does - the best I can do is 7 or 8 out of 10, with a couple called fliers.  I need to shoot more.  My only complaint (besides the trigger I already replaced) is the fact I have to load 168s so long the cartridge won't fit in the magazine.  Single-load only.

My .300wsm 700SPS shot about 2" with factory ammo when I first bought it and was trying to find something that shoots well in it.  I only fired one 3-shot group when sighting in for this year but I put all 3 in an inch.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:22:31 AM EDT
[#33]
The Remington 700 AACSD model (I probably have that all fucked up) is on my short list of purchases.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top