Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2010 4:06:09 PM EDT
WTF?
The claim is that the rifle have been documented of going off just by touching the bolt or putting the safety from safe to fire position.
Back to 2003 CNBC is claiming that U.S. Marine Sniper school had rifles going of 2-3 time every 20rds
I've never once had this issue with any of my 700's

And the Portland Police Dept. getting rid of all of theirs, that is just BS.
They said they got no help from Remington and now our largest City in Maine is wanting Federal Grant $$$ for all new rifles.   Don't check them out or anything....

More Remington News from Maine
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Have no idea what your talking about.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Give us a bit more lad, what's the problem?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw the show. I have my doubts. Id trust a 700 any day.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

over 60 years 2 or 3 remington 700's fired by themselves, in one case killing a little girl, but the mother was an idiot for pointing a loaded weapon at her child
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#5]
CNBC huh....

Gee, I'll just sell off my 700's I've used for decades because anti-gun Obama news stooge CNBC says they are unsafe...

Riiiight.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I think this is bullshit, but if my 700 randomly goes off, I'm gonna be fucking pissed...

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow. I've completly lost track now. This is thread number six, I think. Many posters on this site have had the problem occur, including me. We represent a very small portion of Remington owners, yet some among us have had it happen. Well maintained, factory original rifles that fire without the trigger being touched. When it happens to you, it's stunning. The problem is exceedingly rare, but real. Pre 1982 rifles only. I love my Remingtons, but some of their rifles need to be fixed. And they have known for a long time. They would not have a repair program for a non existant problem.Link
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Someone is suing Remington claiming that the Rem 700 is has a design defect causing it to fire unintentionally.

The media has seized upon this as a "cause".  Of course they would, it's a way to bash an evil gun company and firearms in general.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#9]
People fucking with the trigger.  I worked on mine for 4 hours one day and I can see it happening if it is screwed with.  

I eventually replaced my group with an aftermarket but not because it was faulty.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#10]
It's a well known issue.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone is suing Remington claiming that the Rem 700 is has a design defect causing it to fire unintentionally.

The media has seized upon this as a "cause".  Of course they would, it's a way to bash an evil gun company and firearms in general.

The Remington trigger used from 1948 till  2006 is a DEFECTIVE DESIGN as per Remington and the man who designed the Remington 721/722/700 rifle/trigger Mike Walker.    This trigger does not need to be screwed with to malfunction but a Bubba job will likely be a bad thing.

Mike Walker designed a new, safer trigger to replace the defective unit in 1948, this trigger only cost 5.5 cents more to make in 1948 but was rejected by Remington so Remington went on to produce 5+ million possibly defective triggers till 2006.  

The new and safe replacement trigger, the X-Mark, is the exact same trigger that Mike Walker designed in 1948 to replace the faulty design.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#12]
The so called expert with the reefer grip on his cigarette is a hoot. Turns out he worked in the ammo plant in Arkansas, never touched firearms at the Ilion plant.  This is another exploding gas tank circus.

Yes some Rem's have gone off. The safety manual however, explains how to check if your trigger works properly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I will buy all the PD's  Remmington 700's for a penny on the dollar.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#14]
ETA: Beat by 6mins on some of my info

Did anyone get to watch the show?  Maybe you folks on the west coast can catch it at 11pm
I just want to say that I call a bit of BS here....

But in the CNBC investigative report, they showed video from the Portland Maine training - where one 700 went off when the guy touched the bolt. Finger no where near the trigger. And then they showed some video footage of some Marine Sniper school with the 700 going off by moving the safety from safe to fire. After that showed a .mil document from sniper school saying something about the 700 - in that the rifle misfires ALL by it's self 2-3times out of every 20rds or so fired.

They even brought in the old guy "Walker" that developed the trigger system/design. He used to work for Remington and he said it is not a design flaw but a manufacturing flaw. Then after he left the company years ago, he wrote to Remington several times asking them to reconsider his last trigger/safety design. But Remington turned it down saying it was too expensive, that would cost 5.5cents more per rifle, although it was the best trigger/safety design for the Model 700.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Pretty easy fix, replace trigger, I would add one these bolt shroud safeties too.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#16]
*eagerly watches the EE for Timney 510 recipients*
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's a well known NON issue.

Fify

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a well known NON issue.

Fify

Whatever helps you sleep at night.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, while we are all here....

Would someone please advise me of the best place (best service & quick turn around) to send my 700 bolt from my LTR, so I can have the over sized Badger Bolt Knob installed?
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Send me all your Remingtons, they are defective. I will dispose of them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Would someone please advise me of the best place (best service & quick turn around) to send my 700 bolt from my LTR, so I can have the over sized Badger Bolt Knob installed?

AZ Precision.  Great price and lightning fast.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

AZ Precision.  Great price and lightning fast.

Thank you sir
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#23]
im in the process of sending a 770 back right now. New out of the box the bolt stuck real bad... examined it couldnt see any reason for it to do what it did... lubed her up cleaned her real good and took her out to sight in. First shot sheared a good chunk out of the bolt. Trying to get Remington to swap it... hopefully for a different model.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#24]
In all the videos you can see them fucking with the trigger before they get it to FSR or with the bolt. I can get my FNP40 to fire by pressing the decocker, doesnt mean it is a defective design, it means Im using it improperly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:22:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I saw the "documentary" hit piece; not one of those who blame Remington for the loss of a loved one at their own hands is willing to assume even an iota of personal responsibility for where their rifle was pointed when it allegedly fired by itself.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#26]
If a weapon fires due to ANY cause except the trigger being pulled with the safety devices disengaged it is defective.

Ask Brian Sain about the matter, he is familiar with this issue.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I can't for the life of me understand why so many people are intent on denying a well documented problem. I finally got a chance to watch the show in question and it is inflammatory and biased, but it's also old news. This problem has been around and known for more than 20 years. My two incidents occured in the early eighties. Remington has had recalls and repair programs in place for years,  here. Why would they offer to fix something that isn't broke? What would be the motivation for the cops and military to cop to embarrassing unintentional discharges? Much better to keep quiet and avoid the suspcion assossiated with an accidental discharge. I and many others have disclosed our ugly incidents because there is a real problem out there that folks need to be aware of. No BS, no "bubba trigger jobs", no maintence problems, no manipulating the works to make it happen. All of these things can happen and exceberate the problem, none of which makes it less real. It effects only a small percentage of Remington rifles, so if yours isn't one of the dangerous ones, count yourself lucky and move along, but just because yours is okay doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist. Your logic fails.

I don't do drugs, so there is no drug problem. I don't commit crimes, so there is no crime problem.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 8:31:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

make sure you say hello and introduce yourself. I'll probably be the guy right behind you.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

+1

In for the CDNN deals.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 10:18:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will buy all the PD's  Remington 700's for a penny on the dollar.

+1

In for the CDNN deals.  

Just called my LEO Dealer who would be in the know as to what the Portland P.D. would do with their Remington 700's. As I've bought Police "turn back in's" before.
He said they will probably send them in for warranty... I advised him that every article written with a comment from or by the Portland P.D. news paper, internet and t.v. was that they were "getting rid of them all together"  Planning to ask for Federal money for new weapons, and using the standard M16 with a scope for now.... He said back to me, "if it is the SWAT team, they will end up here, but if it is the whole Police force, they'll probably end up in the bottom of Portland Harbor"
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 10:21:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Hopefully they resell them. I'd love a Rem 700.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Although I do like the Remington 700, the Winchester Model 70 is a far better action in my opinion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top