Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 10:26:34 AM EDT
I was browsing their new products for 2006...

They have a new model, the 798 and 799, both use the famous Mauser action on the bolt.

WTF, don't they know I'm going to have to sell my fiance to afford one?!

My wallet is doing the happy dance because it knows that a new weapon isn't in my budget for one for a while.

ETA:

The 798 has the bigger calibers, but I'm looking at the 799 for a varmint rifle...

www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_798.asp
www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_799.asp
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Just rent your fiance.

And I can't sort out your last sentence.

ETA: Lol at TBK1's link.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:30:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=7&f=91

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I bid 100 Quatloons on the woman.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:35:00 AM EDT
[#5]
tag

HH
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:39:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I never cared for Remington Firearms anyway
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:40:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bid 100 Quatloons on the woman.

No NO NO,, don't get rid of her , just sell her a piece at a time, before ya know it........new rifle!
Got pics??
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#8]

They list "clean barrel" like the lack of iron sights is a good thing. Otherwise they look good.

Before I bid on the woman, can I see a pic?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=7&f=91

Dude, that wasn't cool.  I ALMOST got Salsbury Steak up my nose!!

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:47:45 AM EDT
[#11]
You got a woman you would sell to buy a five hundred dollar rifle??  Thats worse than a job that does not pay enough to buy a five hundred dollar rifle.

If you try and get one direct from Zastava they might be cheaper, then you could keep your love muffin.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I was browsing their new products for 2006...

They have a new model, the 798 and 799, both use the famous Mauser action on the bolt.

My wallet is doing the happy dance because it knows that a new weapon isn't in my budget for one for a while.

ETA:

The 798 has the bigger calibers, but I'm looking at the 799 for a varmint rifle...

www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_798.asp
www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_799.asp

Depending on her personality, you may make more money by offering to take her back for a fee than you did in the original sale!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#13]
The last I heard, Remington was owned by an investment company, is being shopped around various company, whom? I don't know.  This limited offering is probably a way to "pump up" the balance sheet for the perpective owner, because most likely the new owner is not a firearms person, and is a bean counter.

BTW: The Remington shotguns are way behind the offerings of those Benilli and Beretta.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#14]
WOW Remington must be slipping... Looks like a re-badged MarkX action barrel combo! Well at least this way you know the chamber is not going to be F**ked from the factory!!

Im finally glad they wised up and went to a controlled feed system.. Now they just need to tank the 700 series and they might make some $$..

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Im finally glad they wised up and went to a controlled feed system.. Now they just need to tank the 700 series and they might make some $$..

I can't imagine they aren't making money on 700s.  When a thread is posted--"What rifle should I buy?" the most common answer by FAR is "Remington 700."  Somebody's buying them.  

LOL Post was make tongue in cheek!!  Well you need to remember that this is a tactical site so the majority of the armchair commando are going to want the 700, and answer that (is they same as they use in airsoft, so its not to break there uber lock-time).. If you go to a Dangerous game Hunting site your answer is going to be way different.. Its going to be a Peter Paul Mauser design.

To each his own...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't imagine they aren't making money on 700s.  When a thread is posted--"What rifle should I buy?" the most common answer by FAR is "Remington 700."  Somebody's buying them.  

LOL Post was make tongue in cheek!!  Well you need to remember that this is a tactical site so the majority of the armchair commando are going to want the 700, and answer that (is they same as they use in airsoft, so its not to break there uber lock-time).. If you go to a Dangerous game Hunting site your answer is going to be way different.. Its going to be a Peter Paul Mauser design.

To each his own...

True--different tools for different jobs.  Obviously damned few shooters hunt dangerous game.  The vast majority are well served by a push feed action.  

But how fast can you swap out a broken 700 extractor, as compaired to a control feed design...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
But how fast can you swap out a broken 700 extractor, as compaired to a control feed design...

I don't do that kind of stuff.  I have you for that.  

Touche...   The answer is... 10 mins including fitting on a controled. Rem is 15 to 30 mins with lots of curse words..
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To each his own...

Yeah, and push feeds rule the benchrest circuit, besides military use - maybe alot of people like accurate rifles... As for replacing a broken exctractor - that's not exactly a common occurance, if one is using a bolt action rifle properly - in nearly 30 years of owning, shooting, and hunting with 700s, I've broken exactly zero extractors on them - nor have I ever seen anyone break one, or know anyone who's broken one...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
... in nearly 30 years of owning, shooting, and hunting with 700s, I've broken exactly zero extractors on them - nor have I ever seen anyone break one, or know anyone who's broken one...

- georgestrings

I've had the same experience here.  Friends, family and myself have been shooting Remington 700, 721, 722 etc for decades and have yet to see a broken extractor.

If I was going to Africa I'd get a controlled round feed firearm, for everything else a 700 will do just fine.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:26:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
You got a woman you would sell to buy a five hundred dollar rifle??  Thats worse than a job that does not pay enough to buy a five hundred dollar rifle.

If you try and get one direct from Zastava they might be cheaper, then you could keep your love muffin.

But not nearly as bad as a glass of "shut the fuck up because you don't know what you are talking about".

I'd rather buy a house than a new toy first off. My girl can't live in a rifle.

Unless....
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Touche...   The answer is... 10 mins including fitting on a controled. Rem is 15 to 30 mins with lots of curse words..

Really?

That's why I keep a spare bolt assembly handy.  It would take me 1 minute to fix my Rem700.  I then send the broken part off to a gunsmith to fix, if needed.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:02:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Perfect timing!!  Now that Remington is covering the controlled feed market, why do we need Winchester back?  I do like the classic stock shape of the Winchester Featherweight, but I don't really need it.

If they offered that 799 in 7.62X39 with a youth sized stock, I would have to get one for my son's first centerfire rifle.

Kent
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Well its about time the 700 crowd shows up!! Well we can alway hope that ICS comes out with a Mauser Big game rifle..

In 16 years I have replaced 3 Remington and 2 mauser design extractors.. But all I ever get to see is the broken stuff..
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#27]
You guys have had much better luck with your 700s than I've had with mine.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... in nearly 30 years of owning, shooting, and hunting with 700s, I've broken exactly zero extractors on them - nor have I ever seen anyone break one, or know anyone who's broken one...

- georgestrings

I've had the same experience here.  Friends, family and myself have been shooting Remington 700, 721, 722 etc for decades and have yet to see a broken extractor.

If I was going to Africa I'd get a controlled round feed firearm, for everything else a 700 will do just fine.

Yup...

- georgestrings
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top