Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2001 12:53:26 PM EDT
I got a buddy who is interested in buying this gun. He says everybody says it's as good or better than the savage for the money. Well, I don't know who "everybody" is cause I can barely find any info on this gun.

So, is this a POS? What do you guys say?
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Essentially it’s a disposable rifle.  

The action locking lugs are integral with the barrel, which probably means it can’t be rebarrelled.  Further, it doesn’t appear that the barrel could be set back to compensate for throat erosion.  I’d think caliber changes would be totally out of the question.

And the triggerguard looks incredibly cheap.

It’s probably a decent value for the money, but I don’t think it’s in the same league as the Savage.

It’s probably designed for someone who shoots a couple of dozen rounds a year.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Not offered in .308 at this time. 270, 30-06 presently, you can vote on the Remington web site for the caliber you would like to see it in next.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#3]
For the same price id go with the savage.As the rem 710 is not going to be capable of excellent accuracy.It is more of a basic hunting rifle as it was made for.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#4]
The 710 is, beyond any shadow of a doubt, one of the worst firearms advances in the 20th century. there is plastic e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e, the trigger is rough, you can't replace the barrel, you can't replace the trigger group, and it has a shitty stock. save up another $100 and buy whatever the bottom of ther barrel 700 is. You can always upgrade the trigger and stock.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The 710 is, beyond any shadow of a doubt, one of the worst firearms advances in the 20th century. there is plastic e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e, the trigger is rough, you can't replace the barrel, you can't replace the trigger group, and it has a shitty stock. save up another $100 and buy whatever the bottom of ther barrel 700 is. You can always upgrade the trigger and stock.
View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, that pretty much takes care of that. I wouldn't get it either but He'll be saving up for the rem 700 or savage.

Thanks for the responses.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#7]
If he has to have remington, the adl is offered in 308....wood/synthetic........[:)]
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Just save the extra money and get the 700 in the .308. You will love it. Iv got the 700 tacticle. 2lb pull, very nice.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 6:38:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Take a look at the Sig  SHR970.  Comes in long and short actions.  Within each action style, barrel/caliber can be changed in a few minutes.

Synth. stock version goes for $385 - $425 (approx).  Very very sweet trigger right outta the box.

... to be one of my next toys..

-Bill
San Mateo, CA
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#11]
The local dealer got a 710 [puke] in last spring, I must say it is one of the most disappointing things Remington has ever made, all kinds of plastic, the action was one of the roughest I have ever seen on anything, I would take a Savage over that POS any day..  

About 3 weeks of the same general consensus from everyone that looked at it, it got sent back to the distributor.  Usually if I don't like something I don't say anything about it, but this is one of the exceptions.

Link Posted: 9/9/2001 12:26:41 AM EDT
[#12]
My roomate came home with one in 30-06 last thursday. They were on sale at the local store.

I can't say that it impressed me at all. It felt cheaply made. I'm reserving my final judgement until we got out to the range, but  it doesn't look good.

As I don't have a bolt gun yet myself, it's better then mine. . .  but I will have one soon, yes, I will have one. . .

Link Posted: 9/9/2001 5:04:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Whats the Wally world price on a .308 and .243 Rem700ADLs in synthetic stock?  I'm stuck at college and for some reason, there arent any walmarts around here. [>:/]

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 7:06:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Last week.....700 adl syn. was 293......(243 cal).......adl wood (adl has a deluxe model I guess) in 270 was 330.........wally`s in hamburg n.y. ..........[:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top