Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2001 6:39:47 PM EDT
Does anyone here have one? and if so what do you think? I'm really considering one for my next purchase but I've never handled or even seen one yet. I would really like to get a good 308 of some kind. But I'm not sure if I want an auto or a bolt gun. prob. end up with one of each eventually when i get the money...
[url]http://www.remingtonle.com/rifle/700p.htm[/url]
-Bricklayer
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 8:33:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Brick Layer-

Got mine right here at the equipment exchange forums from Costa Arms in New Hamphshire. Although I still favor my Steyr SSG above all bolt guns thus far, the LTR is a VERY good rifle. The compact package is also a big bonus during long range hunting. Some say that the shorter barrel is a setback, but I tend to differ.

2 weeks ago I attended a 200,300,600 yard long range rifle match and low and behold a LTR was there equipped with a Springfield 3rd gen scope, Mark 4 base and rings, with factory STOCK trigger. It shined at 300 with a score of 7 shots in the 'x', two in the 10 ring, and one 9. Keep in mind that this was the shooters very first match and admitted to being nervous. At 600 he scored five in the 'x', three in the 10, and two in the 9. Definitely not bad for a guy who claims he only started shooting less than a year ago.

There should be a pic in the Hunting section of me and two small hogs that I shot with the LTR on its first hunting trip--one shot, two kills (piggies lined up broadside just for my LTR). Not a bad shot for the LTR's baptismal. You'll note the Tasco SS 10X40 on it. I like it for hauling through the brush because I don't feel bad if it gets scratched up, and also smaller and lighter. Out of the woods it wears a Springfield 3rd gen 10x56 Mil-Dot. I went the economical route on the one piece base and got a Smith Enterprise from Brownell's. Went with the ARMS quick release rings for both the tasco and Springfield, making it easy to interchange.

I have absolutely no regrets about purchasing the LTR, and I'm sure you'll be happy with it too. Definitely worth it, IMHO.

-jsr75
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Brick Layer

I picked up the 700ltr .308 last year.  This was my first bolt action rifle.  It is quite a pleasure to shoot.  Most of my shooting opportunities are 100-300 yards.  It is scoped with a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x50mm 51668 MilDot.  In retrospect I might go with with a smaller bell, as I have since had to build up the stock for a better check weld.
Here are some some targets.
[url]http://www.shadows.com/dave/target.htm[/url]

[img]http://www.shadows.com/dave/pss700ltr.gif[/img]
Shadows
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#3]
A buddy of mine has a Remington 700PSS LTR DBM

It's a handy package with the 20" fluted HB.

He got it sighted in about 2" high at 100yrds & dead on at 200yrds with 168gr BTHP ammo.
I watched him shoot a sub moa 3shot group at 200yrds

It's got a very nice Leupold Vari-X III mounted on low rings in double dovetail mounts.

The DBM was a little finicky at first but with some minor tweaking it feeds fine now.

The factory trigger is ok,I think a Jewell would be an improvement.

I don't think you'd be making a mistake [:)]

Link Posted: 8/3/2001 3:22:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is mine.  I love it.  

Like jsr75 said above, I too was a beginner and I do shine out there with it.

[img]http://www.ar15.com/members/albums/AR%5FRifle%2FTest27nw%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I have heard somewhere that these are getting hard to get. Is this true?
-bricklayer
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I just purchased a Remington 700 VLS with Laminated stock and 26" barrel. Should be pretty accurate but it is way nose heavy. The reason I bought it is an ffl friend of mine sold it to me for $450.00. I couldn't pass it up at that price with only about 20 rounds through it. Dang thing look new. He sold it to get a Styer of some kind. He's single and only has the ffl to get guns for himself cheap. He has just about one of everything. Ahh...the single life.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I like mine so much I bought another in .223 so I could blast away at half the cost.  I use a Tasco SS 10 X 42 M on quick release mounts so I can share the scope between the two rifles.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I have decided to get one but I have a few more questions.

1. Where would be the best way to get/find one?
  dealer, gun show, or online auction.

2. What size/brand of scope would be best?
  only one I have here to put on it now is a
  Weaver 2x10x38mm(i would like to get a
  leupold if i can afford one) but do you
  think a 2x10 is enough for now. I never
  shoot over 250 yrds anyway around here.

-bricklayer
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:47:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Go here:

[url]http://www.calssportingarmory.com/Remington.htm[/url]

And here....

[url]http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/semi4sale.cgi?read=31625[/url]

And Here....(keep on pressing next..)

[url]http://www.gunsamerica.com/search.cgi?complex=1&custom=&lowprice=0&highprice=99999999&age=0&uid=&words=LTR&category=2221&state=[/url]

As for scope, only the finance dictate the want.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:58:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey Cope, you got a number, email, or website?
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:59:28 AM EDT
[#12]
If you are going for .308 and want to shoot a bunch, the LTR may be a bit on the light side... felt recoil is related to rifle weight.

Heavier rifles are less punishing on the shooter when firing many rounds...

I have a 22" bbl Rem 700 custom built with a moderate/heavy Cooper 5R bbl...the kick is adequate to make my shoulder sore after an afternoon at the range... and it's heavier than the LTR...
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#13]
You guys on here who have one, whats your opinion on the recoil of the LTR?

I'm used to hunting deer w/ 12ga slugs
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks Cope.

some good ones on gunsamerica.com too
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

I have no problem.  I have shot both my FAL and my LTR, no difference.  The butt end of my LTR is soft rubber.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Forgot to mention...on recoil.

I shoot from the prone mostly...and I go to the range with at least 250 rounds, and come home empty handed...

handloads average 2680 fps with the 175 gr sierra or 155 Laupa scenar

recoil will ABSOLUTELY not be the same when comparing a "gas gun" and a lightweight bolt gun firing the same .308 ammo...

For those that say recoil is not a problem...

get off the damn bench and shoot like you would if the "toy" you bought was used as a weapon... I'm 175lb and the HUGE black and blue that my rifle left after 140 rounds prone was bad enough to make me sore for two weeks...I have attended tactical comps against guys with the LTR and they all had similar problems...
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have no problem.  I have shot both my FAL and my LTR, no difference.  The butt end of my LTR is soft rubber.
View Quote

I'll have to say that recoil is not an issue, so long as you're not an anorexic weighing less than 100 lbs. I'm not exactly a big guy and yet the recoil is no problem at all. Once you get yours you'll notice that the butt pad is softer than the full size PSS .308's. In fact, the pad is identical to the one found on the PSS in .300 Win Mag, making it a lot more bearable on the LTR shooter.

The price mentioned above for $685 shipped is excellent. If I were you I'd jump on such a great deal.

Best,

-jsr75
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#18]
chicklayer-
You might want to purchase the 26" barreled version.  You can always have the barrel chopped and crowned for a nominal fee.  Maybe 22" is what you want?  Try both stocks and have fun with your new purchase.

Doug
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#19]
OK, I've had a .308 LTR for a year and a half and put maybe 2500 rounds thru it.  Mostly Federal Gold Match 168's.  The LTR is arguably my most accurate rifle.  I shoot 1000 yards with some degree of competency.  The LTR is NOT a 1000 yard rifle.  600 and maybe 800 yards its great.  There's not enough barrel length to consistently maintain supersonics past 900 yards.

That said I do LOVE my LTR.  Hill Country Rifles did an accurizing job on the rifle this spring.  Bedded the action in the HS Precision stock, recrowned the barrel, checked the bolt face and locking lugs for straightness, etc.  Groups the same after accurizing as before.  Some folks may say money wasted but I have to know the accuracy will be repeatable and I think the LTR will maintain that edge.

The only thing about the LTR's performance that I have to keep in mind is muzzle flip.  You either have to entrench the bipod or sandbag it to get back on target for follow-ups.

The Ranger instructors we train with say when a LTR shows up on the line something else has to beat it.

Arock out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top