Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/9/2004 8:31:03 AM EST
Aside from his million dollar donation to the NRA Museum, William B. Ruger, Senior, should be remembered as the man who embraced the investment casting process very early on, and whose Pine Tree is one of the most respected investment casting enterprises in the world, the man who gave us the Mini-14, the 10/22 and the first American-made production firearm chambered in 7.62 X 39mm... and the man who told NBC News' Tom Brokaw that:

* "No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun."
* "I never meant for simple civilians to have my 20 or 30 round magazines or my folding stock."
* "I see nothing wrong with waiting periods."

And, sadly, that too must be part of the Ruger legacy.

He did it to save his prized Mini 14.

Scum bag Bill
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:33:30 AM EST
I think FN nailed investment casting in the early 70s...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:34:15 AM EST

Originally Posted By Flashbang1:
* "I never meant for simple civilians to have my 20 or 30 round magazines or my folding stock."

Scum bag Bill

Must always consider the WHOLE man. Good and bad.

Did he really think the Mini14 was gonna be widey received by cops or the military??? He shot his primary market.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:35:05 AM EST
Exactly why i never have and never will buy a ruger.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:35:41 AM EST
Isn't the Ruger Company also the same one that won't sell replacement parts to Joe Public? You have
to take your rifle to a Ruger repairman, or buy parts from somebody who is?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:38:20 AM EST
Note to Rugar... offer optional heavy barrel, and a decent stock.

Reconsider your 20/30 rnd magazine civilian sales policy.

Until then, anyone that actually does buy a Mini-14 will be saying to themselves, "Damn, I coulda had an AR-15."
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:38:59 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2004 8:39:51 AM EST by CAMPYBOB]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:39:33 AM EST

Originally Posted By Tanker06:
Isn't the Ruger Company also the same one that won't sell replacement parts to Joe Public? You have

This is not just Ruger policy but many manufactures will not sell replacement parts directly to the public this is a liability and dealer support issue. There are plenty of vendors where you can get Ruger factory parts.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:41:02 AM EST

Aside from his million dollar donation to the NRA Museum, William B. Ruger, Senior, should be remembered as the man who embraced the investment casting process very early on, and whose Pine Tree is one of the most respected investment casting enterprises in the world, the man who gave us the Mini-14, the 10/22 and the first American-made production firearm chambered in 7.62 X 39mm... and the man who told NBC News' Tom Brokaw that:

Scum bag Bill

It's all about him.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:41:18 AM EST
Just say NO to ruger...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:42:19 AM EST
Are any of us perfect? I have my flaws and mis-steps in life. Like all of us, we/he learned from his mistakes. Toward the end he tried to make up for it. Bill Ruger developed the primary design of what is the basis for the current M240/MAG58 machine gun.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:42:33 AM EST
I like my P89 a lot.

Sorry. I do.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:43:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By A_Free_Man:
anyone that actually does buy a Mini-14 will be saying to themselves, "Damn, I coulda had an AR-15."

Was seriously considering buying one way back when, but didn't. Bought an AR instead, and have
been DAMN glad that I did!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:46:03 AM EST
He saw the Glock's 17 round mag as a threat and asked Congress to mandate a law limiting civilian owned magazine capacity on pistols to 15 rounds (like the ones he was making for his new "P" series pistols).

They said, "Good idea!" and proceeded to make the maximum capacity allowable 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:46:53 AM EST
I don't care for Bill Ruger or his wares.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:46:57 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2004 8:47:42 AM EST by DriftPunch]

Originally Posted By warlord:
Bill Ruger developed the primary design of what is the basis for the current M240/MAG58 machine gun.

No way man...

Billy was still tinkering with Revolvers and .22 rimfires when that masterpiece hit the market.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:47:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By mjohn3006:
I like my P89 a lot.

Sorry. I do.

I like mine also.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:49:02 AM EST
I find it funny that just about everyone who bitches about Bill Ruger happens to own a 10/22. What he did was wrong. But he certainly isn't the only firearms maker to ever sell out to the antis. So let's not blame them. Instead, blame those who are REALLY responsible. That's people like Feinstein, Schumer, Kennedy, Boxer, Kerry, etc. Those are the real troublemakers.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:52:51 AM EST

Originally Posted By DriftPunch:

Originally Posted By warlord:
Bill Ruger developed the primary design of what is the basis for the current M240/MAG58 machine gun.

No way man...

Billy was still tinkering with Revolvers and .22 rimfires when that masterpiece hit the market.

I wasn't there personally, but that is what I read when Bill Ruger died awhile back. But then didn't refine the design. From what the article said, this was during something like the mid-50s or thereabouts.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:53:36 AM EST

Originally Posted By mjohn3006:
I like my P89 a lot.

Sorry. I do.

My P-89 has never ever failed me.. my Kimber did though but I got that fixed.

Yeah, his politics sucked but he made a damned reliable handgun.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:59:35 AM EST

Scum bag Bill

So he embraced gun control to preserve his ability to market a shoddy, overpriced and generally inferior product.

What an asshat!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:59:44 AM EST
Bill Ruger was a sell-out and the same kind of elitist garbage as someone like Feinstein. They don't mind guns, as long as it serves only THEMSELVES.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:02:44 AM EST
warlord:
The MAG58 is an upside-down BAR action adapted to feed links instead of mags.
You're thinking of John Moses Browning.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:38:24 AM EST
No honest man needs a Ruger.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:39:11 AM EST
Bill Ruger was a two-faced piece of garbage who sold out gun owners with his
help on the assault weapons ban, then later on he started giving all kinds of
large donations to the NRA and other RKBA groups to soothe his guilty conscience.
- I am glad he is dead and I hope he rots in HELL.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:40:52 AM EST
Ruger? No thanks, I've bought enough junk guns, won't do that again. Nothing made by Ruger is worth buying over superior, more accurate alternatives.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:44:25 AM EST
I like my little SP101.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:45:47 AM EST

Originally Posted By Steve_T_M:
No honest man needs a Ruger.

+1
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:57:40 AM EST
That's fucking HORSE SHIT.
Where the fuck did you pull that out of, your ass?

I have ordered a few parts from Ruger and OH MY GOD, they have even sent me parts FOR FREE!

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:00:15 AM EST
+1

How many people own a 10/22 or a Ruger MKII?

What OTHER .22 LR that is mass produced TODAY will accept a high-capacity magazine?

Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
I find it funny that just about everyone who bitches about Bill Ruger happens to own a 10/22. What he did was wrong. But he certainly isn't the only firearms maker to ever sell out to the antis. So let's not blame them. Instead, blame those who are REALLY responsible. That's people like Feinstein, Schumer, Kennedy, Boxer, Kerry, etc. Those are the real troublemakers.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:02:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2004 11:09:25 AM EST by joker581]

Originally Posted By KA3B:

I have ordered a few parts from Ruger and OH MY GOD, they have even sent me parts FOR FREE!

I have called Ruger to order parts for a MKI pistol, and they wouldn't help me. They did offer to fix it, but not for free. ETA this may have been because of the specific part(sear)
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:04:55 AM EST

Ruger has been very good about sending me parts as well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:57:11 PM EST

Originally Posted By Dolomite:
He saw the Glock's 17 round mag as a threat and asked Congress to mandate a law limiting civilian owned magazine capacity on pistols to 15 rounds (like the ones he was making for his new "P" series pistols).

They said, "Good idea!" and proceeded to make the maximum capacity allowable 10 rounds.

You care to prove that statement. Even if the did suggest 15 rounds, how does that equate to 10 rounds.

I wouldn't crow to proudly about Glock. They are right in bed with the BATFE on 'ballistic fingerprinting'. That I can document. I doubt you can document what you said.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:03:53 PM EST

Originally Posted By peekay:
Exactly why i never have and never will buy a ruger.

BIG fat plus one.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:14:59 PM EST
I have a Ruger 10/22. Actually, I have three. I love each of them. One is still in the box waiting for my son to grow big enough to shoot it.

I have a mini-14. It couldn't shoot a tight group to save itself from the casting pits, but it goes bang every single time no matter what. I consider it 'fun'.

I had a Ruger Number One Sporter in 300 WinMag. Best rifle I ever owned. I shot through arrows at 100 yards with it. All day long (well okay.. once in a great while ). I truely miss that one. I will buy another one some day.

I have a Ruger varmint 22-250 bolt gun. Sweet. That's all I can say to describe it... Sweet. No Ground squirrel is safe. No coyote out of reach. It was 3/4 MOA while being broke in. Better now

They don't produce hi-cap mags? Does Remington? Does Winchester? Ohhhhhh lets ban them all. They all suck!!!! ooooooh... aaaaahhhhhhh. God is against them. They are Satan. They suck butt.... dirty feltchers! Lets put them out of business!! Woo Hoo!!!

Are you stupid?

Get real. They made a business decision and that's that. Buy them... don't buy them. They made their decision and stood by it. Your turn. Just stop bitching, moaning and whining. It degrades us all.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:32:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By Jeepster:

Scum bag Bill

So he embraced gun control to preserve his ability to market a shoddy, overpriced and generally inferior product.

What an asshat!

How did he save the Mini from the AWB, given that it's configuration was never anywhere near the criteria.

I am still waiting for some documentation about how he did all this to save the Mini.

Do y'all boycott Glock?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:58:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/14/2004 11:01:57 PM EST by luger355]

How many people own a 10/22 or a Ruger MKII?

What OTHER .22 LR that is mass produced TODAY will accept a high-capacity magazine?

ANY AR-15 type rifle will with the help of a conversion kit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:06:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/15/2004 4:28:38 PM EST by The_Beer_Slayer]
image removed

NO SHIT PICS PLEASE
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:07:25 PM EST
I like my Ruger 10/22 but only with Butler Creek hi-caps he would never have allowed me to have..... otherwise there isn't a single Ruger product I'd be interested in owning. Clearly Ruger only gives a crap about the hunter crowd, not the less PC scary black rifle crowd.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:19:00 PM EST

Okay, maybe true. But he agreed and coluded with the enemy.

He is our Quisling.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:35:40 PM EST
bought a custom ruger when i was 15 from accuracy systems inc and it shoots great, but for the 1200 i spent i coud have gotten TWO ar's now im 19 and now ahve TWO ar in the last year, although a poor college student. my mini 14 schoots good, but i like the ar's much better(accessories, price, parts availibility, and most importantly, reliable mags.) thats one of two prob i had with my mini. after making it very accurate, it was heavy. and the mage were not reliable unless they were factory mags. and they we r F*cking expensive.

IMHO

Jservis
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:40:48 AM EST
I own several Ruger rifles, all are excellent quality, shoot well and I have never had a problem with them. Unlike the crap remington puts out , (i.e. Model 710). Bill Ruger may have done some stupid shit , but so have colt, smith&wesson, glock, etc. But thats the problem with us gun owners we cut our noses off to spite our face. Its always this manufacturer did this or that so fuck them, or "all hunters" are stupid asses who don't give a shit about "my" rights. What a bunch of asshats, no wonder we will lose our guns one day, we are to busy fighting among ourselves to present a united front.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:37:46 AM EST
They don't produce hi-cap mags? Does Remington?

In fact, Ruger DOES produce 20 and 30 rnd mags for the Mini-14 and sells them to LEO's, but refuses to sell them to use peons.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:48:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/15/2004 5:49:13 AM EST by LARRYG]

Originally Posted By operatorerror:

Okay, maybe true. But he agreed and coluded with the enemy.

He is our Quisling.

I see you have been reading Neal Knox (quisling) bullshit. He tried to compromise. I am still waiting for documented proof all that you say he has done. An article by Knox is not documented anything.

Would you buy a Glock?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:55:15 AM EST

Originally Posted By Carbine_Man:
Ruger? No thanks, I've bought enough junk guns, won't do that again. Nothing made by Ruger is worth buying over superior, more accurate alternatives.

The Mini 14 is Junk, I won't argue that, But the Sturm Ruger Company does make some Quality firearms. They make great shotguns, and the strongest revolver designs in existance. I have a couple of m77's that I'd put up against any of 'em any day.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:17:11 PM EST
They do makes some great guns, but Bill Ruger was in the same boat as fineswine and all the rest of the gun grabbers, and his company continues to tow that line rather than stick up for the for their consumers. Bill Ruger and Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:57:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By ch139:
They do makes some great guns, but Bill Ruger was in the same boat as fineswine and all the rest of the gun grabbers, and his company continues to tow that line rather than stick up for the for their consumers. Bill Ruger and Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

How about some documented evidence of your allegation.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:59:43 PM EST

You don't know what you are talking about. The P-series pistols have held their ground with some of the best out there in tests by state police departments.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:14:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/15/2004 5:23:12 PM EST by drew5337]

Originally Posted By CAMPYBOB:
William B. Ruger, Senior, should be remembered as the man who embraced the investment casting process cheap fucking way of building firearms by abandoning forged and machined construction very early on.

there...made it more truthful .

Coming from the almighty champion of the AK, thats pretty harsh.....

ETA:
First real rifle was a 10/22. Then a M77 in .270, then the first handgun was a P97. I ditched the M77 to get a Remington (mostly because I want a M40 clone) and the P97 to get a Sig P220 (mostly because I wanted to hit what I aim at, now I do).

I won't buy a Ruger again, even though I like a lot of thier guns. The company doesn't support the 2nd Amendment lock, (folding)stock, barrel, and magazine so I won't support them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:23:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By LARRYG:

You don't know what you are talking about. The P-series pistols have held their ground with some of the best out there in tests by state police departments.

Right.... That's why all the major departments, agencies and bureaus use...... Glocks and SIGs (a few HK & SW for the oddballs). Ruger, the low-cost investment-cast producer, continually loses out to Glock and even the high-priced SIG and HK. Because the guns are........ They don't meet rigorous testing for accuracy, reliabilty, durabilty or human engineering. Sorry, they're crap. Just like most of Ruger's rifles and, good Lord, their hideous shotguns.

Bill Ruger designed a great little .22 pistol and some good .22 rifles. He should have stopped there and saved the rest of the us the grief of buying, trying then selling the rest of his junk.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:31:26 PM EST

Originally Posted By Boomvang:

Originally Posted By LARRYG:

Right.... That's why all the major departments, agencies and bureaus use...... Glocks and SIGs (a few HK & SW for the oddballs). Ruger, the low-cost investment-cast producer, continually loses out to Glock and even the high-priced SIG and HK. Because the guns are........ They don't meet rigorous testing for accuracy, reliabilty, durabilty or human engineering. Sorry, they're crap. Just like most of Ruger's rifles and, good Lord, their hideous shotguns.

Bill Ruger designed a great little .22 pistol and some good .22 rifles. He should have stopped there and saved the rest of the us the grief of buying, trying then selling the rest of his junk.

And which of Rugers rifles would be crap, other than the Mini 14? The M77 series is a mauser based action, totally reliable as well as accurate, The No.1 series is robust highly accurate single shot rifle. Rugers revolvers are the strongest on the market. Have you ever owned a Ruger or are you just spouting the party line?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top