Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2003 9:36:55 AM EDT
I caught a bunch of shit for suggesting that they swap Chief Yahoo's feather for a turban.

Later, I opined that they change ALL of the other baseball team names to racial slurs.

That way on the 11 O'clock news, the sports recap would sound like a day at the race riots.

Picture the news guy giving this:

Wops beat Niggers, 3-1

Hebes over Chinks 4-2

Spics stomped the Harps 5-0

San Diego Dagos tied with the Milwaulkee Mackeral Snappers 3-even.

The possibilities are endless!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#1]
As funny as this is, I think you might "catch shit" about this post too.
In which case.....IBTL  [bounce]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#2]
This is SO IBTL!!!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:49:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Piccolo, you nailed this one.

Everything is offensive to someone, somewhere.  

Oh, IBTL, too!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Since we are a little lacking in ethnics around here, would you please tell me what a Hebe, Harp, Dago and Mackerel Snapper are?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Why would this be IBTL?
Has arfcom become sooo PC you have to walk eggshells before you post now?

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Remember when the Native Americans raised hell about the Cleveland Indians?
View Quote

i remember a bunch of white liberals worrying about team names.  most native americans are more concerned w/ starvation and rampant alcohol abuse on reservations to worry much about what we call our sports teams.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#7]
you racist

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#8]
IBTL,

But also funny as hell [:D]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#9]
LOL you do standup?  when and where im there.

"you might be a piccolo if you can piss everyone off in one sentance"
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#10]
How about that college intramural basketball team who changed their name to the Fightin' Whites?
[url]http://www.fightingwhites.org/[/url]

[img]http://www.fightingwhites.org/image/header_2.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Fighting Whites?  I thought it was going to be a white supremist joke.  

Funny, I don't feel degraded or emotionally scarred after viewing it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:21:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How about that college intramural basketball team who changed their name to the Fightin' Whites?

[url]http://www.fightingwhites.org/image/header_2.gif[/url]
View Quote

Yeah, the University of Northern Colorado, a couple of blocks down the street actually. I was going to get some t-shirts, but they had this BS political statement printed on the back. Then they proceeded to march on a HS up the road for having the team named the Red's.

Fortunately, most of the liberal's in this town are temporary, and leave when school is out...
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Good topic!!!!!!!!
I myself am part Cherokee, and I find no problem with naming teams and such for Indians.  I am  not offended by it and I don't see why anyone would be, as long as it is done in good taste.  I have a problem with a certain race of people that think they have been mistreated by the white man and want to be compensated with money and such.  I can assure you that I can take a joke as well as pass it out, and you don't owe me SHIT for anything anybody before you has done.  We can't live in the past, and as men we can work things out on our own without someone, or the government telling us how to act. Remember: The Indians discovered Columbus.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#14]
How about we apply a really generic, non-offensive term to them..

PO's...Prior Occupants

HA's....Historical Antecedents

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#15]
nightstalker...........thanks !!! that beats the hell out of several things I have been called.  Never liked the term Native American much.......Indian seems to work fine for me. My darling ex-wife has several others, but they take to long to spell......LOL
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#16]
The weird thing is the the word chief, or chieftains is from the Celtic language, & it means king, or sub king. I know that's a loose translation, but it's from something I read a long time ago. Did the Indians use the word Chief before the whites started calling them that? Isn't brave a another white eye word as well? I thought to be brave was an attribute rater than a designated position limited to a specific race of people. Same goes for warrior, etc,etc,etc.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, IBTL[:D]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Hmmm I have this crate of Rifles, a crate of whiskey and a crate of blankets what should I do with them.....

IBTL

Disclaimer: Its a joke dont scalp me!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, the University of Northern Colorado, a couple of blocks down the street actually. I was going to get some t-shirts, but they had this BS political statement printed on the back. Then they proceeded to march on a HS up the road for having the team named the Red's.

Fortunately, most of the liberal's in this town are temporary, and leave when school is out...
View Quote

I was going to get one too until that damn PC statement. So I did the next best thing, I copied the logo, enlarged it and was going to bootleg my own but the quality of the enlarged picture sucked and I gave up after just a few tries to clean it up.
Also if I remember correctly the teams original name was "The Fighting Whiteys" it was only after national exposure that they tuned it down to "The Fighting Whites" I guess they just couldn't handle the pressure of being too far out on the non-PC limb.

Editted to add;
Why doesn't anyone complain about "The Fighting Irish" or the multitude of "Vikings" out there? The "Sooners"? The "49ers"? the "Patriots"? "Cowboys"?... get the picture? I guess it is only derogatory if the name implies someone other than a cracker... oops, a caucasian.

BTW, if Jesse Jackson attends the democratic caucas would that make him a "caucasian'????
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

I was going to get one too until that damn PC statement. So I did the next best thing, I copied the logo, enlarged it and was going to bootleg my own but the quality of the enlarged picture sucked and I gave up after just a few tries to clean it up.
Also if I remember correctly the teams original name was "The Fighting Whiteys" it was only after national exposure that they tuned it down to "The Fighting Whites" I guess they just couldn't handle the pressure of being too far out on the non-PC limb.
View Quote

You're right it was the Fighting Whiteys
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:43:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm offended.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top