Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/26/2010 8:09:38 PM EDT
Story from:

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/agents-of-incompetence-atf-dodges-foia-still-has-seized-bb-guns-part-iv/?singlepage=true

It was only a month ago that a bizarre story broke in the Pacific Northwest, as Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers trumpeted their seizure of what they claimed were more than two dozen machine guns disguised as toys.

The problem with the CBP claim was that the items seized were 16 WE TTI (WE Tech) M4A1 and 14 WE TTI (WE Tech) M4 CQBR gas blowback Airsoft rifles that shoot plastic BBs.

They really were toys.

But instead of admitting they can’t tell a toy gun from a real one, CBP turned these Airsoft rifles over to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), and the agency agreed that these pot-metal made, plastic BB-shooting plinkers were honest-to-God firearms.

To put it mildly, things got interesting.

An Airsoft expert from England dismissed the claim as absurd. In the U.S., AirSplat expert Jon Dibblee — who was once Sgt. Jon Dibblee, a U.S. Army infantryman — categorically denied that the WE Tech M4s could be made into machine guns, an expert opinion supported by a gunsmith specializing in the AR rifle who examined another WE Tech in great detail. The gunsmith determined:

• The WE TTI M4s lack any sort of functional gas tube, which is integral to an AR15’s operation.

• The upper receiver of an AR15 fits onto the lower of the WE TTI M4.

• The stock trigger pack in the WE TTI cannot strike the firing pin of a AR15 bolt.

• The body of the WE TTI lower is several mils thinner than an AR15 lower, and shims would be needed for any AR trigger pack to work.

• The trigger pack of an AR15 appears to be able to fit onto the lower receiver of a WE TTI M4, one of the AR15 trigger pack retaining pins is impossible to insert without major modification, and the hammer isn’t operable with the WE TTI lower.

In short, multiple experts examined the dubious ATF claim and found that the WE Tech rifles confiscated by the CBP and slated for destruction by the ATF cannot be converted to machine guns, or any other kind of working firearm.

Customs has refused to answer questions addressed to them about the seizure, referring all claims to the ATF. As a result, Pajamas Media filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request with the ATF, asking in part for:

Documentation relating to the determination. … [C]opies of written documentation and video or photographic evidence showing how ATF technicians were able to convert the lower to fire real ammunition, and information of what occurred when the converted weapon was fired. … [C]opies of email and print communications within the ATF regarding this issue, and copies of email and print communications between ATF and CBP related to this issue.

The ATF’s written response to the FOIA request was less than helpful. Instead of providing information about the WE Tech rifles seized from Airsoft Outlet Northwest at the Port of Tacoma, Washington, ATF responded with what appeared to be a clumsy bait-and-switch:

We would like to bring to your attention our oversight on the subject of your request in our letter dated April 13, 2010; Springfield, Inc instead of record pertaining to Airsoft rifles intercepted by Customs and Border Protection; as maintained by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).

Perhaps an expert in FOIA law can explain this interesting redirection to those of us less versed in the finer points of the legalities, but it would seem quite bizarre that an agency subject to FOIA requests has the authority to randomly determine that the requester really wanted something entirely different … and entirely useless. Airsoft Outlet Northwest’s Ben Martin confirmed receiving apparently identical information in response to their FOIA request as well.

Instead of providing reasonable, simple answers to reasonable, simple questions (along the lines of “how did the ATF come to the determination that these Airsoft rifles were machine guns?”), the agency passed along a series of heavily redacted documents about:

• Sigma Airsoft silencers (not WE Tech Airsoft rifles)

• seized in Phoenix, AZ (not Tacoma, WA)

• in 2004 (not 2009-10)

I’m sure that the three more or less complete documents they provided about Airsoft pistol silencers seized in 2004 by the Phoenix Field Division are of interest to someone. But they do not help us in the least when it comes to understanding the ATF’s determination that the WE Tech Airsoft rifles still being sold openly around the country are easily converted into fully automatic machine guns, and at a fraction of the cost the U.S. military pays for the real thing.

Pajamas Media has been in contact with Averill P. Graham, chief of the ATF’s Disclosure Division. We have communicated that the FOIA information they provided “about an entirely unrelated incident in the desert Southwest” did not answer the questions about Airsoft Outlet NW’s WE Tech rifles, or about any of the other Airsoft toys and accessories purchased by the company being held hostage by the government.

Chief Graham has asked us to return the documentation they sent, and promises to pull their file on our original request and “see what happened.” Perhaps this additional attempt will bear more fruit … but I wouldn’t suggest holding your breath.

Hope is not lost for Airsoft Outlet Northwest, however. The government recently released some of the $20,000 in inventory they’d seized, including 15 other Airsoft machine guns made by WE Tech and 20 bolt-action Airsoft guns. Perhaps with some patience — and a bit of tenacity — the ATF and Customs can finally be convinced to return these toys to their rightful owners.

Getting them to admit they were laughably wrong may be an entirely different matter.

Bob Owens blogs at Confederate Yankee
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#1]
ATFians
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Simple solution to the problem... the toy store owner needs to demand that they demonstrate live the conversion to him and fire it... ALL ON VIDEO that will not be under any control of BATFE.  

Worked well for Mr. John Glover thanks to Len Savage... BWAHAHAHAHAHA....
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#3]
A friend of mine, and coincidentally a member here (83rdrecon) has surprising "inside information" about this particular incident.  

He told me, and I'll let him know of this thread, so if I get something wrong... don't shoot the messenger.  

These toys were a cunt hair away from being M-16 lowers.  As in..."Sand it a little and an LPK kit will fit".  

Now, I don't have a problem with M-16 lowers being for sale at the grocery store, but as the law is currently, it is a no go at this station.  As such, they behaved appropriately.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Bitch
 Ass
 Tard
 Fucks
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Some people...........you just can`t reach..............
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad our tax dollars pay for multiple monkeys to fuck multiple footballs.
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not anti-government.. but geez. admit when you are wrong (if they are) and give the dang toys back. Why cause more problems?
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:15:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Simple solution to the problem... the toy store owner needs to demand that they demonstrate live the conversion to him and fire it... ALL ON VIDEO that will not be under any control of BATFE.  

Worked well for Mr. John Glover thanks to Len Savage... BWAHAHAHAHAHA....

I'd pay to see that live.

Maybe the Tacoma Dome could be booked for that.

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#9]
tag
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm not anti-government..

I am. Everybody who works for the BATFE is a dog-fucker.
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A friend of mine, and coincidentally a member here (83rdrecon) has surprising "inside information" about this particular incident.  

He told me, and I'll let him know of this thread, so if I get something wrong... don't shoot the messenger.  

These toys were a cunt hair away from being M-16 lowers.  As in..."Sand it a little and an LPK kit will fit".  

Now, I don't have a problem with M-16 lowers being for sale at the grocery store, but as the law is currently, it is a no go at this station.  As such, they behaved appropriately.  

What were the lowers made of?
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And a drill press with a demilled parts kit can make an AK do funny things as well. Your point?
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:20:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

These toys were a cunt hair away from being M-16 lowers. As in..."Sand it a little and an LPK kit will fit".

Now, I don't have a problem with M-16 lowers being for sale at the grocery store, but as the law is currently, it is a no go at this station. As such, they behaved appropriately.

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

15 seconds with a dremel tool and an autosear will fit in a low-shelf AR lower. What's your point?

(not directed at you so much as at your friend.....this is silly, really)
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#15]
This further highlights the complete lack of transparency and accountability of the BATFE and their testing methods, which as a government agency should be readily available to the tax paying public. We have a right to know how they interpret federal statutes and apply them as a regulatory agency.

The Federal Statutes on FOIA  should provide the deadline for Agencies meeting those requests and penalties for failure to do so. Now most likely the Statute allows for "mistakes" or difficulty in obtaining records, but only to a certain point. I know for my State a FOIA request if not met within a certain period of time results in a fine to the State paid to the requesting Plaintiff in a civil claim along with court and attorney fees.
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Did you not read the OP's post? You didn't read it all did you?

It lists what the WE lowers will and will not do according to three sources. All they want to know is what ATF did to get these lowers to function with a working firearm. If it took extra-ordinary effort than they are not readily adaptable or convertible to real firearms and should not be classified as AR lowers.

I think their request is more than reasonable and if it was worded as they claim the failure to provide the FOIA requested documents is entirely unreasonable.

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#17]
After watching the video I kinda want one...but not for $400.
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
After watching the video I kinda want one...but not for $400.

If you put 3000 rounds through one it just paid for itself.
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:34:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
...snip...
We have a right to know how they interpret federal statutes and apply them as a regulatory agency shut down and disband those assholes.

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Well Holee-shit! You mean machine guns aren't made out of fuckin' pixie dust and leprechaun dreams!

Are you fuckin' tellin' me that they're just simple mechanical devices that can be assembled by anyone with the correct parts and the bare-est smidgen of mechanical aptitude?

Fuggin-A man, color me corn-fused!

So are you saying that if you have an AR, some sheet metal and a dremel you are in constructive possession of a machine gun? All you have to do is cut out a little lightning-link and pop it in there. I'll bet the freds can do it if you give 'em the parts.

Sounds like it's just a cunt hair away from being a machine gun, right?

Honestly if it's so straightforward, just release the FOIA request and be done with it.

I never get into the "..well if you did 'this' and then did 'this' and set it up like 'so' you could make it work like a machine-gun once until it ass-ploded in your hand".

Serious question: Have you ever seen a slamfire at a shooting range? Should that shooter be prosecuted for illegally possessing a machine-gun? Why not? It meets the legal definition (afaik, there is no exemption for 'machinegun by reason of malfunction').

(not picking on you ranger but this whole airsoft seizure thing sounds like a goat rodeo.)

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Then why would you need shims if all you needed was a little sandpaper?

Remember, the walls are too thin. Dimensionally it's similar enough for a real upper to fit...

but not thick enough to support a trigger pack (and I think pictures were even posted here illustrating that).

So what are we sanding a little?

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I wanna see BATF make one shoot, and the process involved.

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:51:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

15 seconds with a dremel tool and an autosear will fit in a low-shelf AR lower. What's your point?

Do these "toys" have serial numbers?

an expert opinion supported by a gunsmith specializing in the AR rifle who examined another WE Tech in great detail. The gunsmith determined:

The body of the WE TTI lower is several mils thinner than an AR15 lower, and shims would be needed for any AR trigger pack to work.

It sounds to me, by expert opinion, that any schlub could buy a "toy" spend a couple of minutes with some washers or shim stock, add a functional upper and you have just manufactured a non accountable firearm.

How this is different than 80% receivers and receiver blanks I don't really know.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:58:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do these "toys" have serial numbers?

and I got called out for forgetting to mention this.  

That was the deal.  No serial number at all.  

What I was bitching to him about was that we all know how to make one "happy", and all those parts are available, and necessary to do this deed.  

The fact is, if you take one of yours, and do the deed... it is still your AR lower.  with the paperwork tying it to you, or someone.  

With this toy, there is no paperwork.  

He further told me of airsoft AKs made on fully functional (mil spec) receivers.  All holes drilled, and auto sear in place, but with no #s.  

Think about it for a minute guys:  If you bought your kid some toys, and ATF came to visit and found some receivers that would work on your AR/AK with a minimum of effort,  wouldn't you be delighted?

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I feel safer.

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Either A: there is more going on then is being revealed, or B:  The ATF screwed up and refuses to man up.

Since the case sounds so absurd I want to say A because I find it really hard to believe that somebody at the ATF would this stupid.  I fear I will be proven wrong.
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Oh give me a break!

so, we can't buy unregistered M-16 lowers legally, unless they are sold as a toy?  

I hate it as much as you all do.  I wish they were for sale in the mall.   They are not.  

As the law is currently, you can't buy M-16 lowers.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Oh give me a break!

so, we can't buy unregistered M-16 lowers legally, unless they are sold as a toy?  

I hate it as much as you all do.  I wish they were for sale in the mall.   They are not.  

Have you personally handled one of these toys?  Have you seen one successfully converted to an actual firearm, let alone a machine gun?  I have not, but have looked at very detailed pictures comparing the two side by side and can confidently say that it would be no easier (and probably more difficult) to convert one of these airsoft guns into a functioning machine gun than it would be to convert most semi-auto AR lowers.

You are right, however in claiming that it is illegal to buy a newly manufactured machine gun, which is why no one sells them to civilians, including airsoft manufacturers.
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Oh give me a break!

I think your bud is full of shit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#31]
I just went and sanded my RC Car and now it's a real car.
I am driving it right now!
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Either A: there is more going on then is being revealed, or B:  The ATF screwed up and refuses to man up.

Since the case sounds so absurd I want to say A because I find it really hard to believe that somebody at the ATF would this stupid.  I fear I will be proven wrong.

I'm still going with Option B.  Keep in mind, the ATF didn't start it, they're just backing up OTHER JBTs.
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The fact is, if you take one of yours, and do the deed... it is still your AR lower.  with the paperwork tying it to you, or someone.  

Dang man......yeah if you're going to go to all the trouble and brave the waters of felonious conduct to create a machinegun, that would suck to get tripped up by that stupid serial number.

Thank God the criminals don't have the technology to get rid of any identifying marks like serial numbers that might allow it to be traced.  Jeez...we'd sure be in deep dooky then.

But tonight we can rest safely in our beds knowing that the science of serial number obliteration and dangerous fully-automatic(ish) airsoft bb-gun assault weapons are off the street.

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh give me a break!

I think your bud is full of shit.

might be.  He is a fucking fed, after all.  

Oh, and you all get of the "sanding" kick... as I said.. it was my re-iteration of what he told me, and I am not up to s[eed on all of it.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dang man......yeah if you're going to go to all the trouble and brave the waters of felonious conduct to create a machinegun, that would suck to get tripped up by that stupid serial number.

Thank God the criminals don't have the technology to get rid of any identifying marks like serial numbers that might allow it to be traced.  Jeez...we'd sure be in deep dooky then.

But tonight we can rest safely in our beds knowing that the science of serial number obliteration and dangerous airsoft bb-guns are off the market.

You , are correct, Sir!  

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 9:37:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I just went and sanded my RC Car and now it's a real car.

I am driving it right now!

i fuckin cracked up!! LOL

ive got an A-10 model... now what did i do with that sandpaper??
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Where is the vid of the ATF agent claiming these things are dangerous, trying to insert the mag in backwards?
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

He further told me of airsoft AKs made on fully functional (mil spec) receivers.  All holes drilled, and auto sear in place, but with no #s.  

Think about it for a minute guys:  If you bought your kid some toys, and ATF came to visit and found some receivers that would work on your AR/AK with a minimum of effort,  wouldn't you be delighted?

This is the problem.

The weapons are 'readily convertable' to NFA items, and thus are considered NFA items....

Further, if they are considered more-than-80% from being a non-NFA item, they have to be imported as firearms (through an FFL, on paper, with S/Ns)...

These laws do not exist where most airsoft guns are made - there, in many cases, gun ownership is a no-go...

So the airsoft MFGs often make their product without considering US law...

In the case of these guns, they were just a tad too close to the real deal - namely, the FCG coming close to 'fitting', and the ability to take a real AR upper.

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Our fuckin gooberment can't tell the difference between a toy and a regulated firearm.  Just might be gettin to the time to fertilize the freedom tree.  

Amazing incompetence.  And these douchebags execute legal enforcement in our country.  Rings something like the diiference between your ass and a hole in the ground.  

Unbelievable.  Unfortunately, this nightmare is all to real for the poor SOB caught up in this federali bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 9:54:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Bitch
 Ass
 Tard
 Fucks

Bureau of Assholes Turds and Fucksticks
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 9:55:05 PM EDT
[#41]
This whole thread it a giant pile of horse shit. If the airsofts can be converted to become a full auto lower (something that I highly doubt) that is no big deal. It is easy to convert a AR15 lower to be full auto yet they are still legal. Once again this is proof that giving a regulatory agency the power to make laws is the worst idea to ever come to this country.
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

This whole thread it a giant pile of horse shit. If the airsofts can be converted to become a full auto lower (something that I highly doubt) that is no big deal. It is easy to convert a AR15 lower to be full auto yet they are still legal. Once again this is proof that giving a regulatory agency the power to make laws is the worst idea to ever come to this country.

It is the fact that they can be converted to a firearm of any kind, faster than one can complete an 80% AR lower, that is the issue.

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It is the fact that they can be converted to a firearm of any kind, faster than one can complete an 80% AR lower, that is the issue.

Right, ban something that can be turned into a weapon. Makes a lot of sense. You would have to ban everything.
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#44]
So...

Who has some nice billet aluminum, a hobby cnc mill, and some 4140 we can heat treat and make an auto sear?

The cad files for an AR are easily obtained.

A little bit of thought and o shit we'll all have m16's.

<- surprised face.

Does the world not realize that a bunch of bored self taught engineers in the early 1900's made all this stuff up as they went and with todays technology we can build a m2 in our garage? Sure it won't last for 20,000 rounds because we would be doing the same thing JMB was doing when he built the thing. Design, build, refine. For fucks sake...

Wouldn't it be refreshing if a .gov agency just for once admitted when they were wrong?

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Someone please show me where ATFE sets the "80%" rule.....

Thanks  
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 10:28:06 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you have actually handled these airsoft guns and tried fitting them to your AR-15 upper, attaching a butt stock kit, LPK, and firing?

Sorry.  As a former airsofter (i worked in the industry as a translator in the later 90s) and having examined the new "gas blow back" airsoft guns (Western Arm's M4 specifically) that seek to mimic real steel function, that this is highly unlikely.  Airsoft guns typically are dimensionally close, but not 100%, and they are being used with low pressure mechanical systems.  I somehow seriously doubt that ATF's statements that these toys were easily converted into real weapons without actual evidence from an agency that is well known for stretching the truth.

While the ATF is at it, they should ban dremel tools and Sawz-all blades lest someone make "bottle openers" again.
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#47]
As far as I am concerned?  ATF = Morons.

And yes, I know that they have some good agents.  I'm just done with them.
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No they can't.  Read the article.

And there is no such thing as an 80% AR lower.  Not in the law.
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#49]
The real story here is that the ATF is willfully denying due process by circumventing FOIA requests.  

That is seriously fucked up.
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but you'd have to fabricate the auto sear.  These things came with one.....

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top