Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2004 6:44:32 PM EDT
I do not frequent this part of the website very often but I saw a photo of a soldier in Soldier of Fortune magazine today that got me thinking, Frank Douglas Miller. How many of you have heard of this man, he is a Medal of Honor recipient and was a member of MACVSOG. I read his book several years back called "Reflections of a Warrior" and feel it is the most motivating book I had ever read. I also felt this man to be the bravest I have ever heard of. Just curious...
(this was not the photo in the magazine)

ETA If you have never heard of him, this is a link to a tribute page of him. It also provides a place to order his book, it is well worth it. link
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Guess not huh?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:01:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I know him, I have his autograph(Roy Benevidez). Got it about two years before he died.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I didnt get to meet him, my friend was a paralized Vietnam vet and he came to visit him but I was working and couldnt get away fast enough to meet him. My friend got me his autograph. I have met Robert O'Mally though, three times... once at the moving wall, once at a speech he gave in a town I was a police officer in, and once when he was my afformentioned friends pal bearer. VERY down to earth man. I am sad that I never had a chance to meet CSM Miller though, he had such a profound effect on my life, he died while I was on my first rotation in Bosnia...
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:53:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#7]
The book does not read at a very high reading level but the stories are kick ass. Everything this man did over there was amazing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag for latter.  Thanks for mentioning these books.  I've never read either one.  I'll have to look them up.  I'm reading a biography of Alvin York right now.

-YJ
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:46:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Amazon has some good deals on his book used but I would like to urge people, if buying the book, to get the reprinted one from the link I provided. The money goes to a trust fund for his children. Either way it is a good book, I just thought that it was worth mentioning the reprint...
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:50:36 AM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Haven't read his book but do remember him and he is promenently mentioned in the book SOG which is a history written on the SOG.

Tj

Which book titled SOG is it? I found two different ones on amazon.com... both written by John Plaster.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:23:26 PM EDT
[#14]
So I guess it is the text version you are talking about right? I can be a bit slow
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks... I will have to check it out...
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:38:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I most definitely will read it.  The only books I read are non-fiction.

Do me a favor and read the book, "The Three Wars of Roy Benevidez."

Also an MOH recipient - he was a member of the Special Forces during the Vietnam war.

It had the same effect on me as the aforementioned book did on you.

Thanks for the post.

I met Roy Benevidez in '80 or '81 when he was in the 49th Armor Division, Texas Army National Guard. IIRC he was the Unit Adminsitrator for one of the 49th's Infantry Battalions. At the time I was the Training NCO in the (Active Guard & Reserve Program, AGR) for 2/112th Armor. He was a nice down to earth guy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:52:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks, have not had the opportunity to read this one.  Here's one to try if you can find it.  Writen by a friend Rick Eilert "For Self and Country"  (Willeam Morrow & Company) True story , makes me laugh and cry every time I read it.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:37:37 AM EDT
[#19]

His was the first Vietnam autobiography I ever read, and possibly the best.  At the very least, it is tied with John Plaster's SOG:  A photo history.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top