Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2007 3:08:53 AM EDT
http://www.tribunechronicle.com/business/articles.asp?articleID=17113

Indian automaker unveils SUV

By HARRY R. WEBER The Associated Press

ATLANTA — Indian automaker Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. unveiled Thursday a line of sport utility vehicles and trucks that it plans to start selling in the United States in 2009.

The roughly 50,000 vehicles Mahindra is expected to manufacture in India and sell in the United States the first year will enter a crowded market.

But Mahindra and its U.S. importer, Global Vehicles USA Inc. of Alpharetta, Georgia, say the Mahindra vehicles will be set apart by their sleek design, affordability and fuel efficiency.

‘‘The consumers are really looking for something like this, particularly with the prices at the pump,’’ William Goetze, president of Global Vehicles, told reporters at a gathering at an Atlanta airport hotel to display the Mahindra line.

Final pricing has not been determined, but Mahindra’s 2-door single-cab pickup truck will be offered in the low $20,000 range and its 4-door truck and 5-door SUV, which seats seven, will be in the mid-$20,000 range. A high-end version of the 4-door truck will be in the high $20,000 range, Goetze said.

All U.S. vehicles will feature common rail diesel engines, six-speed automatic transmissions with two or four wheel drive depending on the model and 4-year, 60,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranties.

Each is expected to get between 28 miles per gallon to 35 miles per gallon, officials said.

Model names for the trucks are still being determined, but the SUV that will be sold in the U.S. is Mahindra’s popular Scorpio model.

More than 200 dealers have been appointed to distribute Mahindra vehicles across the U.S.

Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd., which also makes jeeps and tractors, is known for aggressively pricing its vehicles.

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 3:11:24 AM EDT
[#1]
pics?

we need unimog dealers every 20 miles ..lol
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 3:13:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:15:20 AM EDT
[#3]
A small diesel 4wd truck that got 30mpg and cost 20k could be a real winner. Assuming of course that the reliability is there.

Plus, it may make Toyota finally put a diesel in the Tacoma.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:25:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone who has studied the current Chinese and Indian automakers realizes the US has nothing to fear from them right now. These manufacturers make rather crude and very unreliable vehicles. Current new production Chinese cars have an over 30% warranty service rate the first 6 months of ownership. And we are talking about Chinese owners being so upset with the quality that they demand repairs.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:30:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Anyone who has studied the current Chinese and Indian automakers realizes the US has nothing to fear from them right now. These manufacturers make rather crude and very unreliable vehicles. Current new production Chinese cars have an over 30% warranty service rate the first 6 months of ownership. And we are talking about Chinese owners being so upset with the quality that they demand repairs.

While I agree with the Chinese machines being crappy, the Indian built machines (for the US Market) are pretty darn good. Mahindra has a huge market in the Ag scene and is now breaking into the passenger car market. I think they will give Hyundai type companies a good run. Time will tell.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:50:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Dont lump these in with chinese crap.

I have driven a Mahinda Scorpio. they are quite popular here in Africa. its a nice vehicle. i would say its on par with the korean SUVs like hyndai's and daihatsu's. maybe a little nicer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:54:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While I agree with the Chinese machines being crappy, the Indian built machines (for the US Market) are pretty darn good. Mahindra has a huge market in the Ag scene and is now breaking into the passenger car market. I think they will give Hyundai type companies a good run. Time will tell.

I am talking about cars, not tractors. Indian CARS are crap that are currently unsellable in the US. They have a long way to go to reach original Hyundai quality levels when Hyundai first entered the US market.

ETA: Anyone remember Yugo's big threat to the US market? Their cheap cars were going to flood the market and give the Big Three and the Japanese a run for their money. The developed world demands QUALITY vehicles.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:58:18 AM EDT
[#8]
www.mahindrascorpio.com/scorpio2006/

I'll have to check one out. they look ruggued. Like something you would take off road, not a soccer mom rig.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A small diesel 4wd truck that got 30mpg and cost 20k could be a real winner. Assuming of course that the reliability is there.

Plus, it may make Toyota finally put a diesel in the Tacoma.

I'd like to see Mahindra meet Tier II emission standards - bet they'll need to license a drive train.  Based on a little indirect experience with Mahindra, I doubt the established marques are quaking in their boots. Then again, the Excel had nothing going for it but price ($4995) and a slightly better reputation than Yugo. Hyundai's done well in 20 years.   Regardless, PAEBRS right - Mahindra aint no Hyundai.

For Toyota, the L, 2L and 2L-T diesels were a loser - buyers preferred petrol. Dont blame Toyota - blame CARB/EPA and the car buying public. TMS isnt all that interested in diesels anyway - they aint sexy the TMS green-washing is committed to Hybrids. If you really want a Taco diesel - L series engines swap in easy for the 22R.

You'll see a small diesel (2.2 i-CTDi) in Hondas in the next few years - but they dont have a small truck platform.

Luck
Alac

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top