Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2001 5:01:52 AM EDT
How many of you remember reciting the Pledge of Allegiance when you were in grade school?  I remember stating the pledge AND singing God Bless America or America the Beautiful every morning!

When was this practice officially stopped?

M.

Link Posted: 9/19/2001 5:22:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I remember saying the pledge every morning until the fifth grade.  After that itwas doen to once a week on Mondays.  I don't know how they do it anymore.  I graduated highschool in 1997.

ML
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 5:40:39 AM EDT
[#2]
At the school district I work for, all of the Elementary (k-5) school teachers recite the Pledge every morning. The Middle School (6-8) kids do not recite the Pledge.

As far as I know our High School District, which is separate from our Elementary District, does not recite the pledge.

Av
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 5:45:16 AM EDT
[#3]
The grade school my sons go to recite it.nothing makes my son prouder than holding the Flag.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 5:56:24 AM EDT
[#4]
We did it all the way from K-12. I graduated from high school in '98.

Ian
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 6:46:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Always thought that was BS. Still do.
I recommned teaching american history that isn't some PC crap that makes our nation look bad. We've done far more good than bad but you'd never know it by reading the history books that they give our kids. There are alot of other things that could be done in school to instill a sense of patriotism.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 7:14:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Kinda off topic, but I thought people might want to hear.

Right before the WTC attacks, we had some complaints from parents of kids who were not Americans moan and groan about saying the Pledge. They felt that since they were not from this country their kids should not have to recite the Pledge.

Haven't heard from them since the 11th though. Hopefully they figured that if they brought it up now, they would get an ass kicking from us (Administration).

It also seems the ACLU is laying low with all the God Bless America signs on public billboards.

Av
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Always thought that was BS. Still do.
I recommned teaching american history that isn't some PC crap that makes our nation look bad. We've done far more good than bad but you'd never know it by reading the history books that they give our kids. There are alot of other things that could be done in school to instill a sense of patriotism.
View Quote

it's not about instilling a sense of patriotism. it's about where one's allegiance lies.  it's about reminding everyone who says it that "this is my country, for whom i would die if necessary to keep her free from tyranny."  the teaching of american history in schools is only loosely connected to the Pledge of Allegiance.  one is history.  the other is every damn day of your life.

if you don't say it, just to whom or what [i]do[/i] you pledge your allegiance?
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:32:09 AM EDT
[#8]
We did until about 6th grade then they started playing Star Spangled Banner on the intercom...
both in school and Vo-Tech

We still do Pledge of Allegiance to start every meeting at the rifle/pistol club.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#9]
ar lady,
I don't have to pledge allegiance to anyone or anything. My actions and words speak for themselves. Tons of flag wavers out there this week. Where they been for the past 50 years? Remember well my Marine Corps days in the 70's. People driving by calling me baby killer and throwing shit. So fucking spare me. I've been a patriotic american all of my life and some dumb fucking pledge, national anthem, or waving of flags right now don't prove shit to me. We'll see how long it lasts.
As for the pledge of allegiance I'll tell you that most kids puke it out and don't even really think about what they're saying much less what it means. Ask them sometime. Further it only diminishes these words to have them recited daily in a manner which dilutes their meaning, intent and importance. When I was a kid they taught us civics and american history that was not some watered down PC bullshit. Now that is important.
Finally, there is no one, repeat no one, fit to question my patriotism.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ar lady,
I don't have to pledge allegiance to anyone or anything. My actions and words speak for themselves. Tons of flag wavers out there this week. Where they been for the past 50 years? Remember well my Marine Corps days in the 70's. People driving by calling me baby killer and throwing shit. So fucking spare me. I've been a patriotic american all of my life and some dumb fucking pledge, national anthem, or waving of flags right now don't prove shit to me. We'll see how long it lasts.
As for the pledge of allegiance I'll tell you that most kids puke it out and don't even really think about what they're saying much less what it means. Ask them sometime. Further it only diminishes these words to have them recited daily in a manner which dilutes their meaning, intent and importance. When I was a kid they taught us civics and american history that was not some watered down PC bullshit. Now that is important.
View Quote

Although I liked the company, and the unity of a Nation... I found "Instant Patriots" kind of unsettling.  If as many people read (or re-read) for meaning and spirit, the United States Constitution as bought little flags, I'd feel better about it.

Link Posted: 9/19/2001 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ar lady,
View Quote

calm down.  i didn't mean to imply that i was questioning your patriotism.  i misunderstood you meaning.  

i still think that your solution only makes the situation worse.  i agree that most kids "puke it out" but would you rather they just completely stopped saying it or would you prefer that when they said it, they knew why they were saying it and it really did mean something to them?  and i still don't think the Pledge is BS.

and if no one is fit to judge your patriotism, why is it that you seem to be doing it to so many other Americans?  seems to me there's a lot of "if they're not my kind of American/patriot, they're no American/patriot at all" going on here.  now is exactly the time to reach these people instead of scoffing at them and disparaging what we perceive as their "sometime patriotism".  i dare say that most of those people love America as much as we do.  that they don't always show it or that they don't always show it in a way that you or i would prefer (or think is [i]the[/i] right way, does not mean they are less of an American.

i say we use what has happened to our benefit and instead of railing against everybody who thinks differently, we use their patriotism and love of American to bring them back to the path of the republic.  i think that the Pledge, the anthem, and flag-waving are perfect intros for converation starters to "educate" these people.

just my two pennies.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 8:30:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Ar lady,
Am calmer. Had a shit day. Its been hard to deal with all the losers with their hands out since this happened. I've gotta say that since the attack the percentage of people I see who are on entitlement programs has increased substantially. I'd be lying if I didn't say it was wearing me down.
Anyway. What would I like to see? That the kids in school today are actually taught things that would lead to them valuing and appreciating what others have sacrificed for them to have the freedom that they do. History without some BS PC twist that would enable them to be proud of their country. That they participated in events that instilled a sense of community.
I don't think the pledge is BS but that its routine use as is advocated here is BS. Who would be likely to be first in line to take a pledge, sign a loyalty oath, etc? I believe it would likely be people who are least trustworthy. Either for personal gain or even possibly to improve their capacity to provide information for foreign nations. Think about it for a minute.
I disagree that most people love America as much as you think but I do believe that several years of shared hardship, losses, and eventual hardfought victory would likely be the best thing to ensure that. Sorry, but the whole flagwaving thing doesn't do anything for me. Kicking the shit out my nations enemies does. Living a life of honor does. Being a decent and moral person does.
I don't really think I'm disparaging anyone. If it makes people feel better, fine. I simply said that its not for me. Further I don't think it means much of anything to kids. Better to teach them useful things that will mean something to them for years to come. Their are lots of ways to educate kids and adults. Teaching them a sequence of meaningless words is simply not the answer in my opinion.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top