Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2001 8:30:55 AM EDT
I'm looking to leave the Bay Area, but haven't settled on a destination yet.  Here are the criteria that I'm considering:

- Scenic mountain area
- Very gun/hunting friendly
- As little gov't burden as possible
- Reasonable property ownership cost
- Enough high-tech commerce that I could find a computer-related job

Having done a bit of research, the areas currently on my list are:

- Salt Lake City, UT
- Boise, ID
- Portland, OR

Given my criteria, I'm looking for suggestions.  Are there other choices that I've missed?

-kill-9
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Montana and Idaho would be my first choices if I was moving out west-Utah would be a distant third. Cheap land, loose gun laws, and good trout streams.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I just moved from Portland, don't reccomend it at this time. The economy there is dying a slow death, rather quickly. Yeah, they have scenic mountains, but you can't use them, you might disturb an owl, or something. Hunting is a very big business there, so that's a plus. Gov't burden is there, the police arrested a guy for shooting back at a robber, because he discharged a firearm within the city limits. High-tech is there, but layoffs abound. Be careful, there are a lot of people out of jobs up there.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:22:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies.  LongIsland, why place Utah down on the list?  The culture is a bit weird, but is there something else you're considering?

-kill-9
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I would have to agree with LongIsland, Utah would be one of my last western states to live in. Way too much church control over the entire state. Unless you're a mormon, you don't have much say about what's going on. I'd pick Idaho or Montana, if you were looking for hunting opportunity, although I don't know if they have much hi-tech up there.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:33:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.  LongIsland, why place Utah down on the list?  The culture is a bit weird, but is there something else you're considering?

-kill-9
View Quote

Utah is further down the list because Idaho has better (and more) trout streams. Nothing wrong with Utah, but I would rather live in Idaho.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:40:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-kill-9
View Quote

Utah is further down the list because Idaho has better (and more) trout streams. Nothing wrong with Utah, but I would rather live in Idaho.
View Quote

Utah has some strange politics.
Our politicos are just about as gutless as they come, and TAXES, they've never seen a tax they didn't love all the while proclaiming conservatism and self reliance.
The land is beautiful and the fishing and hunting superb.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top