Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2002 1:42:26 PM EDT
Well, the move from Florida is now only weeks away... Really hot for relocating to the Flagstaff area.  I've read all the information I could find, but I'd like to hear from my AR15.com brothers and sisters living in the area for the real deal...

Other than a few visits, I've not spent extended time in Flagstaff.  The area seems to have everything I'm looking for... so I pose this question:  How do YOU like Flagstaff?

Thanks for any information and input you can offer!

Darryl

Link Posted: 3/17/2002 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#1]
have lived in Phoenix now for about 4 months and can't wait to move back to Indy (4 days and counting....).

AZ overall is a fairly conservative state.  i've been to Flagstaff just once, but liked what i saw.  i can't speak to the political scene as i wasn't there long enough.  but the terrain is absolutely gorgeous.  there are actual seasons (not just hot, hotter, and f*&^ing sweltering).  small enough to be comfortable, but large enough to have the big-city amenities.

let me say that you want to avoid Phoenix at all costs, even its little suburb-cities.  it's growing like a weed, with 2,000 newbies every month (or was that every week, sure seems like it).  the traffic is horrible.  really horrible.  and the political climate is fast becoming centrist to liberal.

personally, i think all the darn Kalifornians are importing their arses here, and they're bringing their driving skills, stupidity, and liberalism with them.

luckily, i think it's limited to the Phoenix area.  i think you'll like Flagstaff.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuggin' tree hugger central.  Northern Arizona University...  Rug munchin' Liberals Abound.

Flag is still however a part of AZ which means gun owner friendly state.  

Beautiful country.  If you have a good job to support your household, you'll be in heaven.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Fuggin' tree hugger central.  Northern Arizona University...  Rug munchin' Liberals Abound.

Flag is still however a part of AZ which means gun owner friendly state.  

Beautiful country.  If you have a good job to support your household, you'll be in heaven.
View Quote

I agree with markm, it's kinda like Tucson, a college town with too many liberal transplants. Over the last twenty or so years, too many liberal transplants, snowbirds and scumbag old fart retirees who take up valuable shooting area with their cheep stucco houses and make it nearly impossible to get a decent tee time any more.
Just curious though, what kind of work do you do that brings you to flagstaff ?
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I grew up in Flagstaff in the early 70's. I tend to make a trek back every 2 years or so. I am somewhat over due for a weekend trip. Will wait for it to warm up a bit more and take a motorcycle ride up.

You have heard about the politcal climate... Yea, they are liberal up there (but when I was growing up there, it was the opposite). The last I had heard, they were trying to impliment a size restriction on the city. Oddly enough, I do agree with that one, as long as it is to keep out anymore liberals.

The main income of the city is tourism. People going to the Grand Canyon, Skiing (when they have snow), and people from the valley to cool off.

Flagstaff used to be a strong logging community. Until the national eco wackos came into town and screwed things up.

The weather in Flagstaff: Cold in the winter, warm to hot in the summer. One thing no one mentions, there is always a wind blowing. Calm days are there, but not often. If you like to fly kites, you will one happy person.

Lots of places to hiking and go camping.

The campus of NAU is a good forestry college. As any campus, "lots of nice girls" to look at.

For [b]me[/b], Flagstaff is a great place to visit, but (you know the rest of the saying).
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#5]
There are a couple of good brewpubs.

Rents are too high.

There are too many coffee houses filled with hairyarmpitted leftover leftist hippie slime women.  I still consider them leftovers even if they are only 18.  They are of course matched by granolamunching emasculated eco-commie "men" who are only marginally entitled to that title.

Nice mountain biking in the area.

Shooting available, former home of Derek and the famous "pipeline shoot," but then Derek moved to Mesa.

Cold in the winter, snow, OK if you are into skiing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Stereotyping the people in Flag as "Fuggin tree-huggers," or "eco-wackos" is no different than calling us "Gun nuts," or "machine gun psychos."

Certainly non of us fondle our AR's do we?? Certainly non of us could be described as extreme on any of OUR pro-gun viewpoints COULD WE??

I am an AR shooter as well as a Sig fan. I have my CCW from several states. I also think they have logged enough in Flag and most other places. Labeling me as somehow an "enemy" because I don't subscribe to wise-use stupidity only breaks up our very important unity on the 2nd Amendment.

When we play into the divide-and-conquer game by practicing the same kind of moronic stereotyping that the anti-gunners aim at us, it only proves we're no better than them. A couple of examples of this stereotyping: GUN OWNERS ARE A BUNCH OF RIGHT-WING, SMALL-DICKED DRUNK BASTARDS WHO PISS IN STREAMS NAD BEAT THEIR WIVES. PEOPLE WHO WANT TO PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT HATE GUNS, ARE MOSTLY UNEMPLOYED LONG-HAIRED WEIRDOS AND ARE A BUNCH OF LIBERAL DOPERS. Don't forget that many of us "Fuggin tree huggers" and "environmental wackos" are standing shoulder to shoulder with you on the 2nd amendment. Don't make it impossible for us to be on the same team. It only makes our cause(s) weaker. Wake up!

Oh, yeah - Flag has one of the coolest gun stores in the COUNTRY. It is on Hwy 89a and it's called "Ruff's Guns." It is one of the very few places left with an old, grandfathered liquor and gun license from the BATF! You can go in there, buy a bottle of tequila, a new Sig 220 St and Hustler magazine! IT ROCKS! So much for Flag being just a bunch of liberals.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#7]
BTT
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow.  Jumpin' bad on good ol' Flag got napalmson pretty hot there . . . It even got him to transition from lurker to poster.

Ruff's Guns ain't jack, although the "guns 'n liquor thing" is kinda cool.  Hell in Vegas, there's a shop with guns, liquor *and* drugs!  Gary Reeder's is also worth a look, but neither of these shops are going to set the world on fire unless you are into custom cowboy guns or African safaris.

Much like there I am sure there are a *few* cool people at the Elect Reno campaign rally, there are a few in Flag too, maybe even napalmson.  But any town with a so-called surplus store that calls itself "Peace Surplus?"  Get real, bro.  Flag isn't a *bad* place, but you can't deny the overall atmosphere.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 1:03:00 AM EDT
[#9]
all those gawd damn f**kin liberal pinko bastards from the caliban keep moving to AZ with all their ARs and AKs and just dirty up the enviroment, the nerve of those piece of sh*ts.

but then everyone on this site tells kaliban gun owners to MOVE OUT!!!!! and many say GO TO AZ!!!

but when we get there, we are hated? WTF?

cant win in ANY state

20.0 earthquake TAKE ME AWAY!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 3:21:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
all those gawd damn f**kin liberal pinko bastards from the caliban keep moving to AZ with all their ARs and AKs and just dirty up the enviroment, the nerve of those piece of sh*ts.

but then everyone on this site tells kaliban gun owners to MOVE OUT!!!!! and many say GO TO AZ!!!

but when we get there, we are hated? WTF?

cant win in ANY state

20.0 earthquake TAKE ME AWAY!!!
View Quote

LOL,

No kidding. I've been looking at property in AZ for a while now. Funny thing, I was also planning to look into North Arizona University as well to complete my EE should I completely relocate there. I'm still not entirely sure what to do, where to go. I have to consider jobs, schools for the kids, housing/land cost, etc... I prefer Arizona but my wife is also partial to Oregon but I think more Anti's are in Oregon.....

Still, lots to think about. Tons to do...

If nothing else, at least get some land to have a place to retreat if all else fails.

Who knows, somethings are looking better maybe we can start with ousting Gray Davis, and the other Anti-DemonRats.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#11]
BTT

Someone tell me more about Northern Arizona University.

Specifically:

1) Location

2) Climate

3) Approx. population - Is this school crowded?

4) Anything else you can think of.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 6:17:14 PM EDT
[#12]
My fathers family currently lives in Holbrook and Flagstaff and seem to like it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
BTT

Someone tell me more about Northern Arizona University.

Specifically:

1) Location

2) Climate

3) Approx. population - Is this school crowded?

4) Anything else you can think of.
View Quote

Easy... just go to: [url]www.nau.edu[/url]. They even have a web cam.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I hunt a lot in the Flagstaff area, and let me tell you: STAY HOME! MOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE! THERE'S ENOUGH GODDAMN PEOPLE THERE! DON'T LISTEN TO WHAT PEOPLE HERE SAY!
Now that I've got that out of the way, I'm gonna be moving up there from the valley of the dead in June '03. The girlfriend and I are starting a business, and we've both had enough of the valley and it's heat. Lotsa liberals? Sure-goes with any college town. Do I care? NO. Do I need to pay attention to them? NO. Will more people with pro 2A opinions help? YES.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#15]
... I spend quite a bit of time in Flag. In the early 80's I had a cabin in Kachina Village, about 6 miles south.
Very nice area however the city has outgrown its resources. Not enough water, roads are jammed packed during business hours housing and utilities are high but the air is nice in the summer.

... If you do decide to move there I would look into the Kachina Village or Mountainaire its in the area I was talking about earlier. It's still fairly rural there and I-17 will shoot you right into town in a few minutes if you need.
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I live in Flagstaff and what everyone has said so far is true. It is hot, no good paying jobs and because there are many liberals We shooters are put in the hot seat. ie.. they are trying to close down the forest to us shooters and stop the gun shows at are County fair grounds.
Arizona is mainly Rep. but Coconino County is the Demo hot spot (about 5 Demos for one Rep. or 5-1 ratio and every elected office except one judge is a democrate).

Tim
Link Posted: 3/22/2002 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Phx metro is the 2nd fastest growing area in the US.

What people aint being told, is AZ is running out of water.

Domestic water in the phx area has gone from
3 parts per million of chlorine to 8 parts per million in the last 3 years, just to keep the water potable.

The saline content, is 4 times what is was 10 years ago.

We are presently into our 3rd your of a drout.

Natural and man made resources are being depleted, quicker than they can be built or replaced.

Every Kali-queda that moves here, has a pool.

In the summer, electricity consumption surges require utilities to fire up jet engine driven generators, to provide enough electricity to
satisfy demand.

I am going to make a prediction. AZ will suffer a major power failure in the next 3 years (during summer heat), this will cause many many people to move away. Bet my word!

Waterdog
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top