Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2009 9:59:53 AM EDT
Would the religion of a candidate affect your vote?

For example, would you be more like in a Republican primary to vote for athiest or the Muslim?

For the Catholic versus the Mormon?

I don't think being an athiest would preclude me from voting for someone, but if Islamic, I think I would have to see the man's record before I would vote for him.

I would have no problem voting for most religions, but I do tend to distrust those who are too upfront about thier religion. For example, I doubt I would vote for a Priest, Rabbi, or a Minister.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Would the religion of a candidate affect your vote?

For example, would you be more like in a Republican primary to vote for athiest or the Muslim?

For the Catholic versus the Mormon?

I don't think being an athiest would preclude me from voting for someone, but if Islamic, I think I would have to see the man's record before I would vote for him.

I would have no problem voting for most religions, but I do tend to distrust those who are too upfront about thier religion. For example, I doubt I would vote for a Priest, Rabbi, or a Minister.

What Hardshell said. Limited government being the highest priority in a government "servant".

As for the specific questions, there would be some influence but it would all be subjected to the above rule first and foremost, but here goes:
Athiest over Muslim
Mormon over Catholic

A priest, Rabbi, or Minister better walk the walk and avoid the appearance of evil. Otherwise he's just another blood sucking leach that switched gigs (religion to politics).
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes. Not as much as their record, but more than most other aspects of their character.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Normally I would say that religion doesn't matter.

On the other hand, I recognize that in the case of a Muslim I would scrutinize the candidate's past more closely.

Also, I admit that that actions of some religious groups, such as the conduct of Baptists in SLC in 1998, do impact my feelings towards candidates such as Huckabee (who himself was a keynote speaker in SLC in 1998).  Screaming at new brides and calling them "whores", or having street preachers stand on corners with bullhorns yelling, "Mormons go to Hell," kind of leaves a negative impression of that group.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#5]
If I agreed with the candidate's posisitions and he was Catholic like me, I would be more inclined to support him financially.

The last Republican candidate for Governor in Colorado was in my church and even would do readings on weeks he was home from being a congressman. I donated to his campaign, one of my first political donations.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:27:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd be wary of muslims, or anyone who appears fanatical in their religion.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd be wary of muslims, or anyone who appears fanatical in their religion.

any religiously misguided zealot is just as dangerous as the next one...
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Religion does play a role for me, but not so much what they call themselves, but what principles they stand by.  For example, I am a Catholic through and through, but I would vote for Mitt Romney or Mike Huckabee waaaaaaay before I would vote for John Kerry or a Ted Kennedy.  I would love to see some Catholics in politics who stand for strong Catholic principles, like Alan Keyes, but those are few and far between.  So I will vote for those who best support the Catholic principles that I believe in, and obviously right now it looks as if many non-Catholic politicians have those principles that the Catholic (by name) politicians reject.

As for voting for an atheist, that would really bother me, but it would have to go back to the principles the candidates I had to choose from.  If it meant voting for an atheist who is pro-life vs a Catholic who goes against the Church and supports abortion, then I would vote for the atheist, and same goes for a Muslem.  Those Catholics who intentionally go against the Catholic Church scare me way more than most other people from any religion.  I have absolutely no respect for them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#10]
It isn't a deciding factor but it is taken into consideration. Pro gun and pro life are both important positions to me. Like previous posters I have NO respect for a candidate who says they are good members of thier church but go against its teachings (like Biden).
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Not necessarily. Jim McGreevey was a "Catholic".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top