Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:13:15 AM EDT
[#1]
100% w00t!

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:15:04 AM EDT
[#2]

noooo! now you did it!  

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:30:04 AM EDT
[#3]
"Religion is regarded by the common as true, by the wise as false and by rulers as useful."

-Seneca the Younger
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:35:23 AM EDT
[#4]
It can be a good thing, can be a bad thing.

Just look at the Crusades.  Oh wait, those weren't about religion at all so anyone intending on posting about them in this thread should just do us all a favor and shut the fuck up before you start.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:39:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Well its a good way to teach morals and values.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:41:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No arguments please.  Arfcom poll only.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:43:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Religion is good. How some people use it can be bad.

Kind of like guns.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:54:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Mech2007
 poll only

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:02:26 AM EDT
[#9]
The question is too broad for a yes or no answer.

I can tell you from experience that the Christian faith has been very good to me.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:17:29 AM EDT
[#10]
According to government - No - only the government should be bowed to
Acording to me - yes - I do not bow to an earthly king - only to the King of Kings
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:25:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Bewbies
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:28:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bewbies

I guess I should be ok, this isn't an argument, right?  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:31:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bewbies

Your puppy looks sad Not an argument, just a reason that God is good.

Might I add Beer

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:35:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Religion is neither good nor bad, it's a tool.  It has been used for both good and bad throughout history and it still is today.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:35:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Bewbies

But more on-topic: Religion is a completely different thing than faith.  I've never seen anyone harmed by a sincere faith, but I see religion as  a "force multiplier"; it seems to make a good person better and a bad person worse.  Kinda like a firearm, if you think about it.

Jane

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:36:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bewbies

Your puppy looks sad Not an argument, just a reason that God is good.

Might I add Beer

Haha, my puppas is very happy....

And she will be happier if I can get out of bed today to take her squirrel hunting.  ....although I doubt it...depression sucks.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:36:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Good.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:38:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bewbies

But more on-topic: Religion is a completely different thing than faith.  I've never seen anyone harmed by a sincere faith, but I see religion as  a "force multiplier"; it seems to make a good person better and a bad person worse.  Kinda like a firearm, if you think about it.

Jane

Thank you for your post Ms. Jane.......

<<<<<sits and ponders your post.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:40:00 AM EDT
[#19]
God "hates" religion. Religion is worthless. God wants a PERSONAL relationship with His creation.

To document that God hates religion, note the following passages of Scripture:

"...every abominable act which the Lord hates they have done for their gods, for they even burn their sons and daughters in the fire to their gods." (Deuteronomy 12:31)

"I have had enough of burnt offerings...Bring your worthless offerings no longer...I hate your new moon festivals and your appointed feasts; they have become a burden to Me... So when you spread out your hands in prayer, I will hide My eyes from you... I will not listen..." (Isaiah 1:10-15)

"I hate, I reject your festivals; nor do I delight in your solemn assemblies...take away from Me the noise of your songs; I will not even listen to the sound of your harps." (Amos 5:21-24)

These passages bear out the fact that God hates religion, and all of its procedures and programs; rituals and regulations.

Religion is inevitably the result of man taking that which is of God and forming it, formulating it, in such a way that men end up "playing God." Men can form idols out of wood or stone in an attempt to represent God, or they can formulate ideological idols (belief-systems, doctrinal definitions, theological theses). The men who thus form and formulate become the "chief priests" of the new religion because they are regarded as knowing the most about what God is like, and well they should for they formed "it."

There are three features which seem to be basic to all forms of man-made religion. Religion involves absolutism, authoritarianism and activism. Now there is nothing wrong with absolutes, authority or activity. God is absolute, authoritative and active. But when any man or group of men attempts to establish themselves as the arbiters or regulators of God's absoluteness, authority or activity, they then begin to "play god," and religion is the result as they impose their perspective of absolute, authority and activity on others.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:44:56 AM EDT
[#20]
There's plenty of both in religion.

No option for that in the poll.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:46:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bewbies

Jane

Thank you for your post Ms. Jane.......

<<<<<sits and ponders your post.  

Don't ponder that last sentence too long.  Like any other analogy, it's not an absolute.

Jane  

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:15:56 AM EDT
[#22]
It can be both good and bad. Some people need the threat of hell-fire and eternal damnation, or the promise of eternal life to keep them in line. Others don't.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:17:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Mech2007
poll only

Poll sucks.  Arguments ensue.  Religion good.  Religion bad.  Way it is.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:19:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No arguments please. Arfcom poll only.

Good luck with that one.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:30:19 AM EDT
[#25]
It does more good than bad
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:44:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Net good IMHO. Particularly Judaism and Christianity.

In on one.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:46:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No arguments please. Arfcom poll only.

Good luck with that one.

I will admit this, and this is huge for me.... I think religion is good..as long as it is kept to oneself.

But I don't have a religion.......

I believe in something....but I don't know what to call him or her.......

does this make sense?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:46:57 AM EDT
[#28]
It's spiituality that is important.  However, if religion teaches moral, that's important too.  God Bless you all.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:53:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Religion can be great depending on which side of the offering plate you're on.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:56:33 AM EDT
[#30]
I voted good, but it's a cumulative thing, I think it has done more good... gives people a sense of belonging, purpose etc.  Yes I'm aware that many bad things have been done, and are still done, in the name of religion.  I'm an agnostic BTW and have nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:02:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is the demand for their real happiness. To call on them to give up their illusions about their condition is to call on them to give up a condition that requires illusions.

Karl Marx FTW!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top