Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 10:42:35 AM EDT
IIRC, it was de Tocqueville who said something along the lines of:

"America is great because America is good.  And if she ceases to be good, she will cease to be great." (Loose rendering, but you get the point).

Where do you think we are in the balance of goodness?

Is the level of good increasing or decreasing in our nation?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#1]
As I define "good", it's hard to argue that it's getting better on the whole. Nonetheless, I remain hopelessly optimistic. I'm just that way.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:55:52 AM EDT
[#2]
In the political realm, on social issues, and most other aspects of our society, I see little to be optimistic about.

People call evil good and good evil.

We see evil and negative trends all around us as people have been turning their backs on God.

Thought: I've heard some people say they won't have kids because they don't want to bring children into such a messed up world.

The way I see it, if I do a proper job of raising my kids, then when I turn them loose I've raised the level of good in the world.  The other approach is just abandoning it to the heathens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top