Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Posted: 11/28/2014 1:53:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:58:40 AM EDT

When I was in college, I worked at a municipal airport. Often, I was the only one there.

One day I told my boss that I was really nervous driving our fuel truck around the multi-million dollar aircraft.

"Good!"

He told me that if I ever got complacent, he would fire me.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:18:00 AM EDT
happens all the time
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:34:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/28/2014 2:36:00 AM EDT by 50cal]
Originally Posted By Medicfrost:
http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/refueling-truck-hits-plane-sea-tac-airport/njG3h/

Bet you he was texting.
View Quote

Rampers run into aircraft more than you think. Fuel trucks, baggage haulers and belt loaders. If you look close around the doors of aircraft you will see skin repairs quite a bit.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:47:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/28/2014 2:47:52 AM EDT by Alpha82]
Having done the job for five years this is really not news.

Depending on the hose length and in that case hydrant position as well as ramp space you may have to get right in there, and since we're all lazy even without those considerations you get right in there.

Many ways it could happen, the driver forgot to set the parking brake, forgot to chock wheels and brake failed, forgot to take the truck out of gear and it crept, failed to react to wrong gear selection, was pushing limits being lazy, or operator is a moron and bad driver and/or possibly distracted. What's good is a mechanical failure during which the transmission remains engaged but the engine still throttles up for the PTO system when you squeeze the deadman. Happened once at the facility I worked at, fortunately on a 747 and the interlocks held so while the lurching was unsettling no damage was done.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:48:22 AM EDT
Couldn't of happened at a better place sans Boeing field! Wouldn't expect it to be grounded long!
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:58:51 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rumrunner358:
happens all the time
View Quote

We have an MD-80 from American Airlines in our hangar because a Delta crew shuttle bus hit the right wing tip and fucked it up. Guess the driver couldn't see the position or strobe lights.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:59:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/28/2014 2:59:54 AM EDT by cda97]
So important I had to say it again. Damn double tap!
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:02:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By cda97:

We have an MD-80 from American Airlines in our hangar because a Delta crew shuttle bus hit the right wing tip and fucked it up. Guess the driver couldn't see the position or strobe lights.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
happens all the time

Had some nice overnighters from people not seeing wings.

Had a nasty one from a baggage cart get blown around the ramp during a thunderstorm in orlando, had to shore up the fuselage and splice in a fuselage panel.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:43:44 AM EDT

Had a nasty one from a baggage cart get blown around the ramp during a thunderstorm in orlando, had to shore up the fuselage and splice in a fuselage panel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
happens all the time

It's actually kind of sad to see an aircraft with scab patches all over it from taking hits from baggage trucks or service vehicles.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:15:54 AM EDT
Top Top