Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/28/2015 9:06:53 AM EDT
Short rant...

Why the fuck, in 2015, do have a first year failure rate for refrigerators, across all brands, at almost 20fucking percent? According to consumer reports, all brands range from 18-23% (KitchenAide being the worst...).

Just bought a Samsung side by side to replace our old fridge. One week in...it's showing the set temperature, but not actually at that temperature. So everything in the freezer is thawed. Fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Seems high to me.

My Frigidaire has never given me any problems.  8 years old now.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Short rant...

Why the fuck, in 2015, do have a first year failure rate for refrigerators, across all brands, at almost 20fucking percent? According to consumer reports, all brands range from 18-23% (KitchenAide being the worst...).

Just bought a Samsung side by side to replace our old fridge. One week in...it's showing the set temperature, but not actually at that temperature. So everything in the freezer is thawed. Fucking awesome.
View Quote
I had a new Samsung that lasted a year before the control board shit the bed,  Replaced it with a FrigidAire.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I have an Amana that has had a part go bad twice.  Once when it was 10 months old and still under warranty and again a couple of years ago.  I managed to diagnose it and fix it myself the last time.  I've had it for 11 years.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:44:26 AM EDT
[#4]
You know you can't even buy one without a computer and snitchbox for the smartmeter in it?        

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Because fucking Samsung.

Not to give the rest of the brands credit,  but Samsung has the worst failures in the appliance market by far.  
They had five years of fridges that had the freezer quit working entirely.  Ice maker issues out the ass.  

To top that off,  their TVs have a short life too.  They are plagued by common failures in that market that I won't even touch with my soldering iron to attempt to make a few hundred bucks.  

The old saying goes... Buy Korean,  eat a dick.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Guess I'm lucky, I've never in my life had a refrigerator.

When I built my last house 18 years ago I installed the "much hated" GE refrigerator brand and it has been going strong since day one without a hiccup.

And in an almost unbelievable in-service story, we have a 1952 Coldspot refrigerator in our "Pilots Ready Room".

We plugged it in in 1972 and it has been running and keeping beer cold without failure since that day!!!

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Guess I'm lucky, I've never in my life had a refrigerator. When I built my last house 18 years ago I installed the "much hated" GE refrigerator brand and it has been going strong since day one without a hiccup.

View Quote

The fridges 18years ago are probably made better than the ones today...too many fancy electronics now...

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#8]
How are they ever going to make money by selling stuff that lasts 20 years...
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

I swear that's the conspiracy here...

Seriously...GE rates best in side by sides...18% Samsung is at 23%...for serious issues/repair between 2010-14.

So...the best the industry can do is that 1 in 5 will have a big issue.

That's astounding to me.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Seriously...GE rates best in side by sides...18% Samsung is at 23%...for serious issues/repair between 2010-14.

That's astounding to me.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's astounding to me.

OP has never heard of planned obsolescence, I take it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's astounding to me.

I have...it's just annoying. 10years down the road...ok. 7 days in? Fuck...

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I just got fucked for about the 3rd time by a GFI socket.

I dunno what kind of jackass mandated 15amp gfi circuits in garages, but they are completely fucking worthless. This is the second time in. 4 years we've had a rainstorm trip the garage gfi with my freezer on it. We thought there was a dead rat in the garage, nope! Freezer full of food! Punch the button on the gfi and it flips back on. Another $100 worth of food ruined!!!

It's important to note the gfi on the back porch or bathrooms never fucking trip. Just the garage!!!

I had the same problem at my old house! Every damned storm!

Fucking piece of shit.

Houses aren't built for real people anymore.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I dunno what kind of jackass mandated 15amp gfi circuits in garages, but they are completely fucking worthless. This is the second time in. 4 years we've had a rainstorm trip the garage gfi with my freezer on it. We thought there was a dead rat in the garage, nope! Freezer full of food! Punch the button on the gfi and it flips back on. Another $100 worth of food ruined!!!
It's important to note the gfi on the back porch or bathrooms never fucking trip. Just the garage!!!
Fucking piece of shit.
View Quote

Buy a new, better GFCI outlet.  I had a cheap one that tripped a lot.  Replaced it with a good one.  It has never tripped since, except when I hit the test button.

Put some kind of monitoring system in/on your freezer.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Because these companies engineer them to break. They make them so they last a few years, break, the repair bill is just a little less than buying a new one, so people say F it and buy another.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Five year old Frigidiare, zero problems.  The Whirlpool side by side before it replaced is still going well at 12 yrs old.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Bought an LG

defect in paint on condenser led to all the coolant to leaking out....500 bucks later it works again

It was a little over a year old

There is a class action lawsuit that I am waiting on payment from
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#17]
My Whirlpool took a shit shortly after we bought it.  They fixed it under warranty.  Then just over a year after we had it it fails completely. I will say that Whirlpool stood up and replaced it even though they didn't have to.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm a bit skeptical that the failure rate is actually that high across the industry. How did they arrive at this number?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'm a bit skeptical that the failure rate is actually that high across the industry. How did they arrive at this number?
View Quote

From the ratings and reliability page for side by sides:

Almost 80,000 readers report on brand reliability

Electrolux and Frigidaire are the most repair-prone brands of
bottom-freezers with icemakers. Whirlpool and KitchenAid are among the
more repair-prone brands as well. KitchenAid is also the most
repair-prone brand of side-by-sides with icemakers. Conversely, when it
comes to top-freezers with icemakers, Kenmore is among the more reliable
brands. That's what we found from the feedback of almost 80,000 readers
who bought a new refrigerator between 2010 and 2014. The graphs show
the percentage of models from each brand that were repaired or had a
serious problem. Differences of less than 5 points aren't meaningful,
and we've adjusted the data to eliminate differences linked to the age
and extended warranty/service contract coverage of the refrigerators.
All refrigerators in the graphs are full-size free-standing models.
Models within a brand may vary, and design or manufacture changes may
affect future reliability. Still, choosing a brand with a good repair
history can improve your odds of getting a reliable model.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#20]
After 3 years my Kenmore has a busted ice/water maker/dispenser ($300.00 part) and the spring to the center flap between the side by side doors has broken.  I'm running it until it quits then I'll to find an old one to replace it. New ones just don't hold up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I will tell you guys from the things I deal with electrically that since manufacturers started sourcing the electronic parts from China there has been imho a pretty huge step down in longevity and reliability.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#22]
A&E repair guys coming today for the 5th time for my Samsung.  Same problem, keeps freezing up n fridge gets warm.  Not a drain problem, this is getting old, I wish there was a lemon law for appliances.  One year left on the warranty but I just can't see spending another $1300 for a different fridge if this thing is only 3 years old!
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:26:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Is anyone getting rembursed for all the food lost?

My Samsung blue ray is not supported by updates after 2 years of owning it and won't play blurays anymore
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:28:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Guess I'm lucky, I've never in my life had a refrigerator. When I built my last house 18 years ago I installed the "much hated" GE refrigerator brand and it has been going strong since day one without a hiccup.

And in an almost unbelievable in-service story, we have a 1952 Coldspot refrigerator in our "Pilots Ready Room".
We plugged it in in 1972 and it has been running and keeping beer cold without failure since that day!!!

View Quote

I believe it.  My mid 70's True Kegerator is going strong.  Only maint I've ever had to do to it is change the fan that keeps the coils clean, and the old one still worked, just made an annoying squeaking noise.

My ouside fridge at my house is from the mid 80's.  Works fine, zero problems

My 2006ish Kenmore shat the bed after about 5 years.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Fucking piece of shit.

View Quote

That's easy to fix.  Swap out the GFI outlet for a regular outlet.  Just keep the GFI outlet in case you sell your house, as you'll need to swap it back in to meet the "code"
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Bought an LG

defect in paint on condenser led to all the coolant to leaking out....500 bucks later it works again

It was a little over a year old

There is a class action lawsuit that I am waiting on payment from
View Quote

That's be $5.12 to help on your bill...

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Fucking piece of shit.

View Quote

Houses are designed for idiots.  Change any outlets where you have fridges/freezers plugged in to Non-GFCI.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:47:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I had a $2200 french door Maytag go bad on month 13.  Called them asked what they could do. Whirlpool said not their problem as I didn't buy an extended warranty.  
Repair man came and said it needed about $1100 worth of work and it would likely happen again.  So I'm just fucked.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Houses are designed for idiots.  Change any outlets where you have fridges/freezers plugged in to Non-GFCI.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking piece of shit.

This right here.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I had a $2200 french door Maytag go bad on month 13.  Called them asked what they could do. Whirlpool said not their problem as I didn't buy an extended warranty.  

Repair man came and said it needed about $1100 worth of work and it would likely happen again.  So I'm just fucked.
View Quote
Fuck. I'd be madder than hell about that.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#31]
We gotta install microwave ovens
Custom kitchen deliveries
We gotta move these refrigerators
We gotta move these colour TV's
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
...I dunno what kind of jackass mandated 15amp gfi circuits in garages, but they are completely fucking worthless...
View Quote

The first thing I did when I moved into this house was to replace the garage GFI breaker.
A friend of mine had the one in his garage trip while he was using his table saw and almost lost his hand when the blade grabbed the piece of wood he was cutting.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#33]
"...then you'd better go catch it! Haaaaa ha ha ha!"

*click*

<high five>
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#34]
I used to work where they made compressors for fridges. Anything that was made "wrong" but worked Maytag bought cheap.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#35]
The GFCI sees that current inrush as a 'fault' and trips.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It took a couple of weeks for me to stop cussing about it.  My wife was equally mad.

Every appliance in my house is Maytag.  I'm looking for a new fridge and will never buy Maytag or Whirlpool again.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#37]
My side by side Samsung was freezing up and not cooling it was the defrost coil gone bad on the evaporater coil. First place I would look. It's not easy to get to. You have to gut the whole inside.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just remember to keep the old GFI outlets.    Damn things are expensive when compared to your normal non GFCI outlets.

I had ONE GFCI outlet cost about $100.

I replaced one in my old house with a non GFI outlet.  Moved off and had my house on the market.  The home inspectors came and said the GFI outlet had to be put back in.  I had the choice between driving 4.5 hours each way and doing it myself or paying an electrician to come do it.  Cost me $50 for the outlet and $50 for the install.  Rape.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Got a 1996 26 cu ft side-by-side Kenmore (built by GE) that is running great. No issues yet. Keeps the freezer at -4 and the refrig at 36 degrees. Just clean the dog hair out from under the coils once a year ... I have a spare compressor fan, but am still waiting for the original to go.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Somebody leaned against your fridge and put it in display mode.

Happened to me

Seriously........
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#41]
I am 61 years old and have a GE that my parents bought when I was 3.  I replace the seal with a cheap rubber seal from Home Depot every couple of years.  Keeps beer and soft drinks cold as hell.  Freezer ices up, but I don't use it anyway.  Looks just like this bit it is no longer white.  Kind of a rusty brown.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Somebody leaned against your fridge and put it in display mode.

Happened to me

Seriously........
View Quote

I've already switched it between display and not a few times

The fucking display is showing the wrong temperature after a while (shows what I set it to...not what it actually is...). When I unplug it and reset the system...it works right for a while and tries to cool down like it's supposed to. Fucking annoying shit. I left from lunch the freezer was at 8...got home it was at 32 System reset again...

Waiting on Samsung to pick up the fucking ticket and send a guy out to fix it since it's under warranty.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I am 61 years old and have a GE that my parents bought when I was 3.  I replace the seal with a cheap rubber seal from Home Depot every couple of years.  Keeps beer and soft drinks cold as hell.  Freezer ices up, but I don't use it anyway.  Looks just like this bit it is no longer white.  Kind of a rusty brown.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w485/rustycrocker53/_57_zpsn9uqotko.jpg

View Quote

Yup...too much tech in the damned things now. Simple as that.

And everyone buying cheap ass boards to put in them.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

My uncle has a fridge that was purchased in 1955.  It works fine.  It's a Kelvinator.

My dad has a fridge that was purchased in 1940 or so.  Everything in it is made of brass for God's sakes.  It works fine.

Anyone who says that modern appliances are better than the older ones are at least partially full of shit.  I promise you nothing you buy in Lowes or Menards will still be running 40 years from now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#45]
What would the go to brand these days be?
My current fridge is an Admiral that my Grandparents bought in the 90's, and it is still going fine.
Never even cleaned the back of it like they say you should.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#46]
I bought a $3,000 Electrolux that required service multiple times for the ice maker.  Never did work right.  I let it go with the house.

When I bought my current home, I bought a $2,400 Samsung.  Didn't work from day one.  I will say that they came out and fixed it and it's given us zero problems since.  Knock on wood!!!

My beer fridge in the garage is 20+ years old, been moved several times and it still works just fine   It was probably a $350 dollar refrigerator.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

It took a couple of weeks for me to stop cussing about it.  My wife was equally mad.

Every appliance in my house is Maytag.  I'm looking for a new fridge and will never buy Maytag or Whirlpool again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd have thrown the fridge through their window.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Welcome to appliance reality.  I have been in the business for almost 18 yrs, and the failure rate is crazy compared to when I first started.  Here are some reasons why.

Circuit boards running everything and being vulnerable to power spikes and low volt situations.
DOE fucks mandating lower energy usage, resulting in smaller compressors that fail faster.
Manufacturers wanting you to come back and buy a new unit in 8-10 yrs.
EPA mandating refrigerants that don't work as well.

Ect, Ect, Ect,

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:28:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Bought a new townhouse in '95 that came with a basic GE 18.2 cu. ft. top freezer refigerator. That refrigerator never gave any problems until late last year, when the compressor occasionally wouldn't kick in soon enough, allowing the temperature in the freezer to rise slightly above freezing. Other than that, it functioned fine.

Decided that the GE was reaching the end of its useful life, headed to the local Home Depot, and picked out a Whirlpool top freezer 18.2 cu. ft. unit to replace the GE.

They delivered the Whirlpool unit last Saturday.

On Sunday night, the compressor started making a metallic rattling sound when it kicked in.

Called Whirlpool Monday morning, and they're dispatching an appliance tech to my house tomorrow afternoon to see what's wrong with the unit.

Right now, I'm not confident that the Whirlpool will last anywhere close to the 19 years of my GE.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w485/rustycrocker53/_57_zpsn9uqotko.jpg

View Quote
I have the exact same GE out in my shop that I bought 20 years ago at an auction for $30. Mine is an ugly shade of green though. It has a very small gauge two wire power cord with a broken plug with black electrical tape on it.  I should have replaced it, but at the time just plugged her in and let her rip.  Best damn refrigerator I ever owned.  I am in my early 50's and I bet I die before it does...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top