Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2006 1:51:10 PM EDT
I've got a 4 year old kenmore refrigerator with an icemaker that won't make any ice.

- The "teeth" are stuck in the up position.

- If I unplug it for a while and plug it back in the teeth will cycle down and back up, but no water will run into the tray.

- I've tried working the on-off switch several times with no luck.

- Supply line up to the back top of the fridge has water in it.

If I pour water in the tray with the teeth up will it make ice?

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm no Dr. Frige, but...

There should be a valve controller that cycles on the flow of water to the icemaker.  Mine went bad and I replaced it last year.  Follow the water line out of the icemaker and you will find the controller.

If you have a water dispenser in the door, this line will probably run back to the same controller.  I was told to swap the output lines on the dispenser to test the controller.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#2]
you can have mine,  it won't stop making ice even with the handle all the way up.

ETA is the water on?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#3]
PAGING DR. FRIGE!..................................hello.............................anyone.......................?

Just don't mention anything about "SPIDERS" and he will help you I'm sure.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm no Dr. Frige, but...

There should be a valve controller that cycles on the flow of water to the icemaker.  Mine went bad and I replaced it last year.  Follow the water line out of the icemaker and you will find the controller.

If you have a water dispenser in the door, this line will probably run back to the same controller.  I was told to swap the output lines on the dispenser to test the controller.  

That swap out is a good idea. I'll get it the fridge out when the kids go to bed. Otherwise they'll want to take half my tools to bed with them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
you can have mine,  it won't stop making ice even with the handle all the way up.

ETA is the water on?

Yep. Water dispenser works normally.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Paging Dr Fridge
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:11:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm no Dr. Frige, but...

+1. Check the behind the fridge at the bottom lower corner.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've got a 4 year old kenmore refrigerator with an icemaker that won't make any ice.

- The "teeth" are stuck in the up position.

- If I unplug it for a while and plug it back in the teeth will cycle down and back up, but no water will run into the tray.

- I've tried working the on-off switch several times with no luck.

- Supply line up to the back top of the fridge has water in it.

If I pour water in the tray with the teeth up will it make ice?

Any suggestions?

Same thing happenened to mine.
I used a meter to check current through the solonoid (should be in the lower rear portion of most fridges, where the waterline connects).
I went to a fridge repair distributor and bought a solonoid to replace the bad one.  
Two screws later and it was fixed.

good luck
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:22:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Trays.  They are cheap.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#10]
im having exactly the same issue on my kenmore elite which is really an amana i think... where the F is DrFridge????
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I bet DrF is fixing friges at 3 in the afternoon
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Dr. Frige taught me a few things when mine did the same thing a while back. The first thing he had me check was the little tube (flow tube) that puts water into the ice tray. It should be flexible and fairly soft, but when the water inside the tube freezes, the tube will be hard (ice), and water cannot flow into the ice tray even if the valve is working correctly.

The way to remove the ice from the flow tube is apply a blow dryer to the tube. The hot air from the dryer will melt the tube, so you have to keep it moving so as not to melt it. A little piece of ice should fall out after a few minutes of the blow dryer treatment. If that doesn't do it, it's on to the doctor for sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top