Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2005 7:27:32 PM EDT
I got into a discussion tonight with a friend of mine & we got to talking about 9/11. At one point, I brought up the fact that Americans showed incredible restraint & did not seek vengeance against Muslims in the days & weeks following the attacks. To my recollection, no Muslims were assaulted, no Muslim owned businesses were vandalized, and no mosques were desecrated.

My friend disagreed with me and said that he was sure that all that stuff happened. He couldn't remember any specific instances, but he was positive that bias crimes took place & that the media probably downplayed them or choose not to report on them at all.

At that point, we kind of agreed to disagree & we moved on to other subjects, but I admit...  this conversation is stuck in my craw.

Please refresh my memory... were bias crimes committed against Muslims in America right after 9/11 attacks, cause I sure as hell don't remember any???

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#1]
an Indian guy was murded at a connveinece store, cuz the muderer thought he was muslim.
shit happens.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I know the Sikh community always has problems with hate crimes... since they are the ones witrh turbans, not the Arabs.

To my recollection there were a few small incidents.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Several 7-11 type stores were shot up.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I remember a report, might have been local, of an arrow shot through the window of a muslim families home. Went through the daughters bedroom and stuck in the wall.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Old but...

www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2003/11/13/us_sees_drop_in_hate_crimes_after_post_911_rise?mode=PF

Nationally, there were 155 hate crime incidents listed as anti-Islamic last year, down sharply from the 481 reported in 2001.

In addition, there were 622 hate crime incidents reported in 2002 against ethnic groups that include people of Middle Eastern descent, down from 1,500 in 2001. There were 931 anti-Jewish incidents in 2002, a slight drop from 2001.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember quite a few mosque's being ransacked soon after 9/11.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#7]
One of my muslim professors from India (yes, there is a muslim population there) said we showed extreme restraint.  If it had happened the other way around, it wouldn't have been safe for any Americans in any part of Asia - his words, not mine.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
an Indian guy was murded at a connveinece store, cuz the muderer thought he was muslim.
shit happens.

Happened in Mesquite, TX.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:39:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I got into a discussion tonight with a friend of mine & we got to talking about 9/11. At one point, I brought up the fact that Americans showed incredible restraint & did not seek vengeance against Muslims in the days & weeks following the attacks. To my recollection, no Muslims were assaulted, no Muslim owned businesses were vandalized, and no mosques were desecrated.

My friend disagreed with me and said that he was sure that all that stuff happened. He couldn't remember any specific instances, but he was positive that bias crimes took place & that the media probably downplayed them or choose not to report on them at all.

At that point, we kind of agreed to disagree & we moved on to other subjects, but I admit...  this conversation is stuck in my craw.

Please refresh my memory... were bias crimes committed against Muslims in America right after 9/11 attacks, cause I sure as hell don't remember any???

Thanks.

Some guy here in Phoenix was murdered because he looked Arab.  He was a Sikh though I think.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Old but...

www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2003/11/13/us_sees_drop_in_hate_crimes_after_post_911_rise?mode=PF

Nationally, there were 155 hate crime incidents listed as anti-Islamic last year, down sharply from the 481 reported in 2001.

In addition, there were 622 hate crime incidents reported in 2002 against ethnic groups that include people of Middle Eastern descent, down from 1,500 in 2001. There were 931 anti-Jewish incidents in 2002, a slight drop from 2001.

There were a few, there were also a few FRAUDULENT hate crimes against muslims by themselves
I think Michelle Malkin has most of them referenced
one muslim burned down his store and claimed it was done by evil white Americans
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You remember wrong.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You remember wrong.

You're wrong.

I know for a fact that at least 1 was here in Columbus, Ohio.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#13]
There was a muslim owned print shop in Anchorage that was ransacked, vandalized, equipment trashed, racial slurs etc painted on the walls.

They convicted the owner of doing it not long afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
There was a muslim owned print shop in Anchorage that was ransacked, vandalized, equipment trashed, racial slurs etc painted on the walls.

They convicted the owner of doing it not long afterwards.

They had a couple of liberals trash their own cars too
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#15]
A few mosques in Maine were trashed if I recall correctly, and a Muslim restaurant was torched shortly after 9/11.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
A few mosques in Maine were trashed if I recall correctly, and a Muslim restaurant was torched shortly after 9/11.

Sad - I'm sure they were terrorists.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#17]
www.townhall.com/columnists/michellemalkin/mm20030530.shtml has a bit of the story...

what is funny is that the NCPC still has it listed as an example of a hate crime here.....but is there an Anchorage in Alabama (AL)? (Alaska is AK)....fookin morons.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
a Muslim restaurant was torched shortly after 9/11.

Grease fire. Started in the cook's hair.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:05:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Someone shot at a Mosque in Seattle and tried to drive a truck into it.   I had Sikh friends spit at by people who thought they were Muslims.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#20]
IIRC, a mosque here in Dallas had a drive by done on it and several recieved deaththreats

Too bad there are fucktards doing this kind of stuff...

EPOCH
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Some people marched on a Mosque in Bridgeview IL IIRC (south Chicago area).  

I seem to remember something about firebombs too, but can't really remember.

I was there watching it on the news from the hotel.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#22]
there was a few arab kids that wore a tuban in my school. Never saw them again
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:22:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Nope, and it's a damned shame we didn't wipe them all off of the face of the earth on September 12th, 2001.  The world would be a more peaceful place had we done that.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes, incidents occurred.

When the dust settled, however, their numbers proved only slightly less over-inflated than the projected death count from Katrina.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top