Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/4/2002 9:48:53 AM EDT
I remember a thread sometime back about redlight runners. I thought I stir the coals a bit [}:D] and post a link to an article I ran across today. [url=http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/001/082izwax.asp]Getting Rear-Ended by the Law[/url] Enjoy!
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 10:44:57 AM EDT
We've discussed this many times on this here board. Red light cameras are a scam and there is no real proof that they do any good whatsoever. All the talk about 40% improvement this or 60% improvement that or number of tickets issued is complete, unadulterated bullshit. It's all a shibboleth. The relevant numbers are of accident frequency, human casualties, and property damage, not the number of violations issued. The question really is: How much do the things cost and how much privacy is lost and what is the return? Is any actual property or life even protected in the process? Red Light Scameras: [url]http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/0319/p01s02-ussc.html[/url]
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 11:51:27 AM EDT
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if cops start ticketing people for running redlights, there wouldn't be a perceived need for the cameras. Too many times, I've seen local city cops not stop someone for running a red light. I know what they might be doing at the moment is important, but it's also important to discourage people from running a redlight. I witnessed an accident yesterday (was going to post this under a new topic...), and the officer gave the person who ran a red light a 2 point failure to yield ticket. In this state, your insurance doesn't even go up for that. Their insurance still might, because of the accident, but not because of the ticket. Running a red light is supposed to be a 4 point ticket in this state. On the other hand, the officer was very professional and cool. She was in charge of the situation even when faced with four large, rough guys in one car, a lawyer in the car that was hit, and four men (including me) who saw the accident. She heard three different versions of what happened, immediately figured out that two of them could not have happened (one using logic and another from looking at the skid marks). The guys in the car that ran the red light lied about what happened. They claimed the light was green even though four people who weren't in the accident disagreed. The lawyer who was hit lied and said the guys came to a complete stop at the light and then ran it only after seeing he was black. There was no reason for him to lie. The accident was clearly not his fault. She was sharp and figured-out the lawyer was lying from looking at the skid marks. The guys couldn't have stopped where the lawyer claimed, because there were skidmarks there when they hit their brakes. They couldn't have stopped for the light, then accelerated to intentionally hit the guy, as the lawyer claimed. I don't guess giving the guy at fault a more harsh ticket would help, but he did drive through the red light about 5 complete seconds after it became red. Maybe, the accident will discourage him from doing it again.z
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:14:07 PM EDT
I think red light cameras are total bs and should be illegal. I run red lights all the time. Now before everyone jumps on me, let me explain. If its late and traffic is light I'll stop and if no cars are comming I'll go right thru a redlight. I NEVER just plow thru an intersection when I have a red light. But if I stop and can CLEARLY see that no cars are comming, what is the point in sitting there waiting? I don't see anything wrong with this even though it is illegal. I don't see the point in sitting at an empty intersection wasting time and gas waiting for a stupid light to change color. Red light cameras will punish guys like me. When they do put red light cameras up in my city, thats when I'll rig something up on my car to block my license plate at the flick of a switch. No one is ever sending me a damn ticket in the mail.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:30:21 PM EDT
a lawyer lied!?!?! that not possible!
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:33:32 PM EDT
These things are not about safety, they are for revenue generation, just like helmet laws, seatbelt laws, war on drugs, etc... Just the government, or city or state separating you from your money.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:00:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Philadelphia_GunMan: I think red light cameras are total bs and should be illegal. I run red lights all the time. Now before everyone jumps on me, let me explain. If its late and traffic is light I'll stop and if no cars are comming I'll go right thru a redlight. I NEVER just plow thru an intersection when I have a red light. But if I stop and can CLEARLY see that no cars are comming, what is the point in sitting there waiting? I don't see anything wrong with this even though it is illegal. I don't see the point in sitting at an empty intersection wasting time and gas waiting for a stupid light to change color. Red light cameras will punish guys like me. When they do put red light cameras up in my city, thats when I'll rig something up on my car to block my license plate at the flick of a switch. No one is ever sending me a damn ticket in the mail.
View Quote
I have been told by several reliable sources (LEOs and such) that the red light cameras won't get you unless you go over 11 mph. That's why it doesn't get people who are turning right on red. never tested it though.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:12:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By guardian855: [I have been told by several reliable sources (LEOs and such) that the red light cameras won't get you unless you go over 11 mph. That's why it doesn't get people who are turning right on red. never tested it though.
View Quote
It's gotta vary depending on where you are, what system they use etc. They only way to find out in expensive too.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:14:49 PM EDT
Hellraiser is 100% right. In fact the companies that sell the systems to municipalities pitch it as a revenue source.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 2:49:13 PM EDT
Red light cameras are to orwellian for me. However anyone that thinks traffic citations generate revenue is crazy. First you have to recruit, hire, train & equip the cop. Pay his hourly wages and benefits. Same for the the numerous clerks at the police station, courthouse, DMV, ect who all have to process the ticket. When it goes to court the judge who hears the case is paid & the courthouse the hearing is in wasnt free. The baliff has to be paid. The officer is probubly on his day off so he is paid overtime for the court appearance. After all that crap is paid for how much $$$ is left over in "revenue" for the city from your ticket? Traffic enforcement is about saving lives by slowing down the flow of traffic to a safe speed and getting people to stop at stop lights and pay attention while driving.
Top Top