Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2001 4:33:33 AM EDT
I am in on the group buy(financing route) and would like to put a red dot on this puppy. Would love to have the RefleII, but since I am not making the big bucks anymore, I am on a budget. So has anyone had any experiences or heard of these [url]http://www.cdnninvestments.com/42whitreddot.html[/url]
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 5:13:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Simmons makes good stuff for the $$. Fact.
But you will likely have a problem with paralax.
And the less you spend the more likely.
And also the wider your objective lense the more likely.
I prefer 35mm or less.

The PDP5's from CDNN were more $ but had less Paralax. And you can change your dot MOA size.
reducing para. further.
End result of the finer dot.

The only dot scope that does not have this problem in my experience is the Aimpoint. And they are expensive as I'm sure you know.

But good luck either way.

Del
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 5:27:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanx for the input Del,

I was looking at the Aimpoints. I just can't lay out the cash right now. I will probably have this for 6mos or so till I can save up for the ReflexII. I was also looking at this one [url]http://www.cdnninvestments.com/30mmreddot.html[/url]
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 5:31:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 5:41:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Don't tell me there is a financing option available for the group buy!  Don't go there PUHLEASE!
View Quote

There is [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=11183#lastPost[/url]
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 5:43:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree with delmarksmen if you can step up to the propoint - DO.  But, I think you can get by with the other fine.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 5:48:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh, And I have dealt with CDNN on several occasions and reccomend them.

They have always shipped on time and have given me a brake on S&H charges.
Always helpfull on the phone.

No Bob's working there. If you know what I mean.
I know that you do.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 5:54:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I agree with delmarksmen if you can step up to the propoint - DO.  But, I think you can get by with the other fine.
View Quote

Guess I could if I forego the Thermold mags. Hmmmm...... Course Ronin45 might get pissed cause I already told him I was buying 5
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 6:03:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I have tried both of your choices and do not recommend the 30mm the one I used had poor quality glass and looked like it was designed for a cheap .22 rifle. The one I used actually had more parralax than the 42 - I know this goes against the rule but that was my experience. The 42 I have is surprisingly clear for the money and parralax is not a noticable problem just mount it as forward as possible.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 6:10:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Lordtrader,

I'll pick up your slack on the mags from Ronin...  If you really want a cheap red dot,
I bought a Tasco 5MOA 42 mm tube diameter with 11 position detent for 54.95 and tax...

Heading to the range today with it....  

realist out
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 6:14:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 6:44:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you really want a cheap red dot,
I bought a Tasco 5MOA 42 mm tube diameter with 11 position detent for 54.95 and tax...

View Quote

Sooooo.....where'd you get this good deal at? I have a $60 budget. Fits right in there.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 7:16:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Midway has the Tasco Accudot 5MOA sight for around $60. It's got a 1" tube but seems like a good quality unit that would get you by untill you can afford the Reflex.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 7:24:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Midway has the Tasco Accudot 5MOA sight for around $60.
View Quote

Do they have a website or a number. I am not familiar with this distributor. Any info is appreciated thanx
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 7:44:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Midway is good but CDNN will have a better price.
I believe they are still selling the PDP5's for $89. The Dot change is worth the extra 30.IMO.

Save your Lunch money for another week or two. You will appreciate it more.

Me, I eat my own homemade lunches everyday to save $$.

[url] www.midwayusa.com[/url]
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 8:29:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Take Garryowen up on his deal. When you get the reflex you can put the BSA on .22 pistol or someting for some super cheap fun. My brother and I are pretty much king of the cheap reddots and I can not reccomend the accudot for a 223.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#17]

lordtrader...

I bought the Tasco at a gun show last month...  I was able to site the many dot scopes available and for the money I went with it.  I went with the larger diameter tube size, for tactical use its a given....  The 11 position detent allows for brightness of the dot and from the brightest down a few notches make the dot a little smaller...

The BSA being offered to you for 20 bucks has a smaller tube..... and can be bought at the guns shows for around 35 or 40 bucks .... I would buy it for the 20 bucks if not just for a hand gun!

The only draw back is the Tasco is made in China....  I try to avoid goods from them having a problem funding the PLA and ultimately funding our own demise ....  

Sometimes you have to stray from your convictions to protect yourself[IMG]http://www.multimania.com/jujulm/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]

realist out
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I have one configured as follows:

CAR-15 EA lower/Model 1 kit
over handgaurd scope mount (mounts sight/scope in front of and below carry handle)
Tasco Red Dot - smaller version w/1" tube with Weaver all weather flip up covers

The Tasco was $40.00 and covers were about $18.00.  The carry handle mount was a bit pricey at $60.00 but you don't want a cheap mount.

With the red dot this far forward - you can open both eyes when sighting which is necessary for tactical use.  The tube blurs and all you see is the dot on the target.

All that is left to do is press the trigger - please don't squeeze!

[sniper]
The Sniper
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#20]
sniper...  

You bought covers for your Tasco for 18 bucks?   flip up covers?

42mm tube is a good size...  I felt any bigger and it would be more succeptable to damage in transport...  
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#21]
GarryOwen you have mail buddy.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Get a Kobra sight. They make a weaver mount version now for around $135.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#23]
okay, now then, I would reccomend saving for a while longer, and getting an aimpoint, you can pick up a 3000 $150 its a 1" tube, or a 5000 for about $220, with a 32mm tube, I have a 5000 with 3 moa dot, and its by far the best red dot I've used, beats simmons, tasco, BSA, bushnell, burris, leupold, everyone, except maybe a trijicon reflex, but thats a different animal...
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Vyper45, we all agree about the quality, but our man has a cash flow problem and we are tring to help out. A flat top ar with no site system shoots almost as bad as (fill in the blank).
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Well......it does have a front sight post. Guess I can shoot with that. Thanx guys for all the help, but I think I will go with the GarryOwen offer. Its the best by far.

I have heard the Kobra do not work well in the cold due to batteries. That's why I am a bit hesitant is plunking down some cash on something that might not work. Might be the same for the OKO, I don't know. Been really hot and bothered about that ReflexII. It should take me another 3mos to save for that. Unless I buy another rifle. Someone on the Ak board is selling a FAL at a reasonable price. I might put an OKO on my ASA CAR15 though just for shits and giggles.

Man this sucks!!!! I come to a free state and I ain't got no money to buy guns with.
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#26]
If you're looking for the best prices on optics, check out www.SWFA.com or Kessler's in shotgun news. They have the best prices on optics by far!  I have a Reflex II with a triangular recticle and love it.  If I went with a standard red dot, I'd have to go for the Aimpoint Comp M.
[sniper]
Link Posted: 4/13/2001 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#27]
If I were you I will just shot the rifle  using open sights until you have enough money to buy what really want. In the long run you will save money because I sure that you will not be satisfied and will get your first choice eventually.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top