Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2004 4:36:13 PM EDT
They cannot be allowed to win. if they do take the series, then I guarantee Kerry will say -

"This is our year. The Sox won the series and we will win on November 2nd".

Can't you just Picture him saying that? Where the hell is Tonya Harding when you need her?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#1]
He'll lose New York if he does!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They cannot be allowed to win. if they do take the series, then I guarantee Kerry will say -

"This is our year. The Sox won the series and we will win on November 2nd".

Can't you just Picture him saying that? Where the hell is Tonya Harding when you need her?

YES

ditto
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Please don't mix sKerry up with the Red Sox!!! I'm a native Masshole and don't like that SOB one bit. But i love the Sox.

go SOX!!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Mentioning Kerry and the SOX in the same post is an insult to the SOX.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#6]
The Sox will lose. Bush will win. I have forseen it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

So let it be written.....

So let it be DONE!

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#9]
The Sox Will Win.Bush Will Win.I see it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So let it be DONE!

And the division of America will be worse than it is now...  

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#11]
agreed. he already started the PR whoring after they won the ALCS
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So let it be DONE!

And the division of America will be worse than it is now...  

Ditto. He lost me, too....
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Ppl. still watch baseball? Oh, that's right, the drug enduced home run records have brought back the fans, I forgot...
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Kerry, forced to go to game, to reinforce "regular guy" credentials.
Camera pans....

Kerry appears on the Big Screen.

What happens?

1) He's in Boston.  Baseball fans, mostly white guys, let's say 20% boo.
It will be deafening.  It's HIS town.  MO fans watching, along with the rest of the country.
Brutal.

2) He's in St.Louis. More boos. Swing State.
Brutal.

3) He doesn't go.  Wha?  He can't take time to see a game?  He ain't no regular guy.
Bush shows up for game seven.  First pitch.  Strike.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ppl. still watch baseball? Oh, that's right, the drug enduced home run records have brought back the fans, I forgot...

i've been watching and following baseball for the past 8 or 9 years.....
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Dude, the Red Sux are playing the Choke Louis Cardinals, and they have home-field.

Count on the Redbirds to mail it in...they shot their wad in the NLCS.

I've watched 'em for too long.

SG
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Nope LarryG assured me this would not be the case when I mentioned the Red Sox victory was a powerful piece of political imagery...  But what do I know, not like I know anything about campaigns or public relations...

I agree with you HiramRanger, and this is why.  The big push right now is for the undecided voters.  Now, in this election year, who in the world could be undecided at this point in the race?

In a word - idiots.

These are people who don't really care about the issues of the day, the ones who are happy as long as they've got their fast-food, Pabst Blue Ribbon, and Jerry Springer at 4 pm.  These are the folks that a Red Sox win would influence.  In their mind, "The Red Sox are from Boston.  John Kerry is from Boston.  The Red Sox are winners.  There's a picture on the TV of John Kerry with the Red Sox.  He must be a winner too.  I'll vote for him."

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

GO CARDINALS!!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:31:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Nope LarryG assured me this would not be the case when I mentioned the Red Sox victory was a powerful piece of political imagery...  But what do I know, not like I know anything about campaigns or public relations...

I stand by that.  If anyone really thinks one has anything to do with the other, they should seek professional help.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Yes, those people who base their votes on something like that are fools... but that doesn't mean they won't and that doesn't mean that there aren't people looking to exploit this as a campaign issue.  Come on, it won't kill you, just admit that I was right in saying this would become a campaign issue... regardless of whether it SHOULD be or not.

Well, gee, the only two who put forth this nonsense also happen to be fans of the A: team they beat and B: the team they are currently playing.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#24]
He was gonna win Mass anyway.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:32:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes, those people who base their votes on something like that are fools... but that doesn't mean they won't and that doesn't mean that there aren't people looking to exploit this as a campaign issue.  Come on, it won't kill you, just admit that I was right in saying this would become a campaign issue... regardless of whether it SHOULD be or not.

Well, gee, the only two who put forth this nonsense also happen to be fans of the A: team they beat and B: the team they are currently playing.

Nope, I really don't follow baseball at all.  I'm an Atlanta Falcons fan.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You did say "Go Cards" in your post.

Did you become a Falcon's fan when Vick arrived or before then?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
You want to keep talking smack Larry or admit you are wrong?

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6301121/site/newsweek

politicalwire.com/archives/2004/10/22/can_the_red_sox_help_kerry.html

Those are two... and if you watch the cable news stations you would know this is being talkied about extensively.

OK, I'm done with this... Larry, you were wrong, the sign of a man is someone who can admit when they are wrong.

I am not wrong, so why admit it?  I don't care who is talking about it, the two things are not connected, no matter how much MSNBC wants it to be.  They may try to make it an issue, but it is not, no matter how much they talk about it.  It will have no bearing on the election, period.

It's all bullshit.  You are the one who needs to admit this is all about your Yankees losing, period.  Apply your own "sign of a man" bullshit to yourself.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:44:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I said "Go Cardinals" because of the basic premise of my post.  I don't want Kerry to have any PR advantage, no matter how small.  As for your crack about my affinity for the Falcons, I am originally from Cordele, GA.  I have been a Falcons fan for 30+ years.  No bandwagon here, Buckwheat.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I stand by that.  If anyone really thinks one has anything to do with the other, they should seek professional help.

you honestly don't think kerry getting on tv every chance he gets to show himself watching the baseball game, just 'being one of the guys' helps him?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

+1
Besides, if the Sox win, their fans will have nothing to identify with.  It just wouldn't be the same.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:12:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Sorry, Hiram, but I must agree with Larry here...

The outcome o the World Series (or the penant race, for that matter) will have ZERO to do with this election in reality.

Sure, some will try to spin it that way (the dork in that Newsweek article is an example) just to make themselves feel better and to be able to point to it IF their prediction turns out to be right, but to think that any significant portion of the electorate will actually vote one way or the other because of the outcome of the baseball season is REALLY reaching.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:08:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Damn it, had Astro won, we'd have a Texas vs. Massechusette World Series right before the election of a Texan vs. French.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:15:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:57:15 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The outcome o the World Series (or the penant race, for that matter) will have ZERO to do with this election in reality.

Sure, some will try to spin it that way (the dork in that Newsweek article is an example) just to make themselves feel better and to be able to point to it IF their prediction turns out to be right, but to think that any significant portion of the electorate will actually vote one way or the other because of the outcome of the baseball season is REALLY reaching.

Once again, you need to go back to my original statement in another thread.  I did not say the election would be determined by the outcome of the series... that is Larry trying to spin my argument to serve his purposes.  I said the Red Sox and their amazing come from behind performance would be used as a piece of political imagery as Kerry was always known as the Comeback Kid and you could hear the pundits crowing about it after the first debate.  I said the comparisson would be made far and wide and it might play with some idiots that shouldn't be allowed to vote, but it would be used... and it HAS been used.  Changing somebody's argument that you can't defeat to one that you can is a classic debating strategy and Larry has tried to do that here by arguing no possible way it would determine the election...  which I happen to agree with.  However, that is not the argument that was made.  Once again, I said for a Senator from Boston who has a history of being the "Comeback Kid," Boston's come from behind , never done before, 4-0 sweep to win the ALCS would fire up Kerry's base and give him a motivational tool.  It has done all of that.

Now if somebody can show me where I said that Boston winning the series would result in Kerry winning solely from that, I'll eat crow right here.

Good luck to anybody who goes searching for that.

I didn't spin anything for my purpose, as I am not the one spouting this ludicrous bullshit.

What I have said is that they are two seperate entities, that one has nothing to do with the other.  If it would not result in Kerry winning, what is your point?  Why even bring it up.  While you may not have said it directly, that sure seems to be the crux of your argument.

Besides, you already said you were done with this thread, yet you continue to post.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:58:14 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I said "Go Cardinals" because of the basic premise of my post.  I don't want Kerry to have any PR advantage, no matter how small.  As for your crack about my affinity for the Falcons, I am originally from Cordele, GA.  I have been a Falcons fan for 30+ years.  No bandwagon here, Buckwheat.

Well, Alfalfa, that wasn't a crack, it was just a question.  Overyly sensitive?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you honestly don't think kerry getting on tv every chance he gets to show himself watching the baseball game, just 'being one of the guys' helps him?

Nope, I don't think it will help him one bit.  He may try it, but it is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Once again, you need to go back to my original statement in another thread.  I did not say the election would be determined by the outcome of the series... that is Larry trying to spin my argument to serve his purposes.  I said the Red Sox and their amazing come from behind performance would be used as a piece of political imagery as Kerry was always known as the Comeback Kid and you could hear the pundits crowing about it after the first debate.  I said the comparisson would be made far and wide and it might play with some idiots that shouldn't be allowed to vote, but it would be used... and it HAS been used.  Changing somebody's argument that you can't defeat to one that you can is a classic debating strategy and Larry has tried to do that here by arguing no possible way it would determine the election...  which I happen to agree with.  However, that is not the argument that was made.  Once again, I said for a Senator from Boston who has a history of being the "Comeback Kid," Boston's come from behind , never done before, 4-0 sweep to win the ALCS would fire up Kerry's base and give him a motivational tool.  It has done all of that.

Now if somebody can show me where I said that Boston winning the series would result in Kerry winning solely from that, I'll eat crow right here.

Good luck to anybody who goes searching for that.

Ah!

I stand corrected....
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#41]
I agree with Hiram, and that is exactly what I meant when I made this post. Kerry will get a swell, and also a morale boost into the election. It will give them hope. We do not need this. I originally wrote this before I even knew that there were news articles written, and it seems I am not the only one who thinks this way. But only time will tell, and in a few days somebody will win the world series, and soon after that someone will be elected president. I just hope to god that it is not kerry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top