Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2016 1:29:48 PM EDT
Took my Mother to her Doctor, and noticed a Red Cross blood center sign on the building.  Cool.  Wasn't there the last time I took her.  Told her I would be downstairs at the Red Cross if her appointment was over and I wasn't there.  When she was called in to see the Doctor, I left to donate blood.

Walked around the side of the strip mall to the Red Cross site and stopped.  The door had a photocopied 'No Concealed Weapons' sign w/ a crossed out pistol on the bottom.  I thought about tucking my shirt in and open carrying my revolver, but just turned around and walked away.  Not worth the hassle.  Did not donate any blood today.

tl;dr
Red Cross didn't get a pint of my O+ due to their fear of guns.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Won't do much good unless you send them a letter.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Wonder if a policeman stopped in if they'd even pay attention to their rule.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#3]
My blood is more valuable than a couple cookies and a cup of juice anyways.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:46:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Meh.  I don't agree with it, but I can actually follow a possible line of reasoning here for them.  You give blood, get a little woozier than anticipated, have an accident with your firearm---all of a sudden they're getting crap for not "taking steps to prevent such a thing."
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#6]
UBS lost me after almost 6 gallons when they posted a sign shortly after Sandy Hook. O-, CMV- too.  I feel bad for all the little babies that would have benefited from my blood.   I have thought about going back, but catering to the mass hysteria and feels does nothing to improve safety at the center.  There is literally nothing between the entrance and donation chairs except a counter  with an open walk-thru.  No thanks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#7]
The more you know about Red Cross, the more you will donate elsewhere.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#8]
local big medical center is at nearly all the Dallas Market Hall gun shows..some of the Ft Worth shows...

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I tend to agree.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Seems like discrimination, to me.

They seem to allow armed hamas members access to their facilities.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Took my Mother to her Doctor, and noticed a Red Cross blood center sign on the building.  Cool.  Wasn't there the last time I took her.  Told her I would be downstairs at the Red Cross if her appointment was over and I wasn't there.  When she was called in to see the Doctor, I left to donate blood.

Walked around the side of the strip mall to the Red Cross site and stopped.  The door had a photocopied 'No Concealed Weapons' sign w/ a crossed out pistol on the bottom.  I thought about tucking my shirt in and open carrying my revolver, but just turned around and walked away.  Not worth the hassle.  Did not donate any blood today.

tl;dr
View Quote

Concealed is concealed.......that's the whole point.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wonder if a policeman stopped in if they'd even pay attention to their rule.

View Quote

Yeah, but they all have expert weapons training.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
UBS lost me after almost 6 gallons when they posted a sign shortly after Sandy Hook. O-, CMV- too.  I feel bad for all the little babies that would have benefited from my blood.   I have thought about going back, but catering to the mass hysteria and feels does nothing to improve safety at the center.  There is literally nothing between the entrance and donation chairs except a counter  with an open walk-thru.  No thanks.
View Quote

You sure showed those blood recipients.

A business is one thing, but a non-profit blogs donation group is a little different in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Meh.  I don't agree with it, but I can actually follow a possible line of reasoning here for them.  You give blood, get a little woozier than anticipated, have an accident with your firearm---all of a sudden they're getting crap for not "taking steps to prevent such a thing."
View Quote

nope. Stupid.

Only one demographic follows the rule.......

law abiding people.

Criminals are gonna .....well, you know
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Is it a "rule" or does it carry the force of law?  If you are concealed, how do they know?   If the find out, do they just ask you to leave or are you up on felony charges?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I actually thought about putting my gun in the car, but didn't want to risk losing it in a car break in.  
The simple solution was not to donate today.  And after reading thebeekeeper1's thread, I'll donate unarmed tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

nope. Stupid.

law abiding people.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nope. Stupid.

law abiding people.

Never said it wasn't stupid, just pointed out I can understand the line of thought their lawyers might have used.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:15:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've heard a lot of bad things about them in using donated funds more for themselves then helping people.  My turning point was when they made deals with ISIS to aid people in ISIS controlled lands.  No way they did that without providing medical care/aid to ISIS fighters.   NEVER AGAIN!

http://www.newsweek.com/red-cross-attempting-build-relationship-isis-help-those-under-its-control-401756
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:17:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm B- and they like my blood or so they told me.  Here is SC their mobile donation centers are no problem to carry.  Hospitals are a no go in SC.  Unfortunately my military service sent me to places on the planet that have me permanently on the banded list.  Gay men that are hi risk for HIV can donate but I can't.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

tl;dr
View Quote

Call and make it hurt
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:44:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A business is one thing, but a non-profit blogs donation group is a little different in my opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#23]
This is like the 2nd good rationale I've hear for an ankle holster in my entire life.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Wat?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat?

I guess I'm supposed to go in unarmed, let myself be hooked to a machine that sucks blood out of my body, and just lie there if something bad happens, because feels.
 I really do feel bad about the babies.  I was a point of pride to me. They're asking me to come and GIVE them a pint of Premium Unleaded (look up O-, CMV-) for a juice box and a cookie?  Maybe throw in a tee shirt to go with the other couple of dozen I already have?  No thanks.  Treat me like a criminal and expect me to keep coming back?  No thanks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Where in PA?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Same here,B- and CMV-, always calling me to come donate. Finally told them as soon as the supported the second amendment I would donate,no more phone call since.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I guess I'm supposed to go in unarmed, let myself be hooked to a machine that sucks blood out of my body, and just lie there if something bad happens, because feels.
 I really do feel bad about the babies.  I was a point of pride to me. They're asking me to come and GIVE them a pint of Premium Unleaded (look up O-, CMV-) for a juice box and a cookie?  Maybe throw in a tee shirt to go with the other couple of dozen I already have?  No thanks.  Treat me like a criminal and expect me to keep coming back?  No thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat?

You may be reading a little too deeply into things.

And how dangerous are blood donation centers in Mississippi?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:04:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Is it a "rule" or does it carry the force of law?  If you are concealed, how do they know?   If the find out, do they just ask you to leave or are you up on felony charges?
View Quote

Asking if a sign in PA has the force of law is tricky because it's a "No, but..." sort of situation. On one hand the legislature never passed any laws making carrying a weapon in a posted business a criminal offense in and of itself, but at the same time it is a violation of trespassing laws if a business posts at the entrance a sign saying "No: this, that or the other thing in our place of business" and you do it anyhow. So you won't catch a "weapons charge" for doing it, just a trespassing one. That all applies to businesses, there are laws for things like courthouses and whatnot, plus the Federal ones for airports, etc.

So if a business is posted they can ask you to leave, and if you don't that's considered defiant trespass and they can call the police to make you leave and/or arrest you on a defiant trespassing charge, which is a summary offense and not a felony.

If the OP went to donate blood, carried despite the sign, and
somehow they knew he was carrying, the most likely outcome is he'd just
be asked to leave; if at that point he'd say "Go to hell, I want to give
away my blood" and refused to leave then the police could be called, because at that point
he'd be trespassing.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat?

Not only that but you are essentially paying them for the privilege of giving them your blood.  The cost of your transportation is on you.  Youd think you could at least get compensation for the standard mileage rate from your residence. But I do give blood every two months because I think it is better for my health.  Otherwise I probably wouldnt do it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If the OP went to donate blood, carried despite the sign, and somehow they knew he was carrying, the most likely outcome is he'd just be asked to leave; if at that point he'd say "Go to hell, I want to give away my blood" and refused to leave then the police could be called, because at that point he'd be trespassing.

View Quote

Bottom line then it sounds like he could still conceal carry since we know that mass murderers often go for places where they expect no one to have a gun.   If he is discovered to be carrying a concealed weapon and is asked to leave, all he has to do is smile, say "Have a good day" and leave.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Local hospital blood drives for me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

People say this but never suggest other places you can donate blood.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Vulcan94
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vulcan94

Google search is your friend. We found a few non-RC donations places near us.

Fuck the Red Cross.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:12:49 PM EDT
[#34]
 Seems I heard somewhere that the Japanese have been  manufacturing and  using synthetic blood for a few decades now.

Of  course, they also have draconian firearms carriage laws  there, for what that's worth.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Bottom line then it sounds like he could still conceal carry since we know that mass murderers often go for places where they expect no one to have a gun.   If he is discovered to be carrying a concealed weapon and is asked to leave, all he has to do is smile, say "Have a good day" and leave.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If the OP went to donate blood, carried despite the sign, and somehow they knew he was carrying, the most likely outcome is he'd just be asked to leave; if at that point he'd say "Go to hell, I want to give away my blood" and refused to leave then the police could be called, because at that point he'd be trespassing.

That's generally how it works, and 99% of the places you go won't have any idea you're concealing anyhow unless you do something silly like dump your pistol on the floor by accident.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm back.  Donated today instead of tomorrow.  I'm familiar w/ PA's carry laws, and as stated I risked a defiant trespass charge, at most,  if I ignored the signs.  The gun I was carrying was a S&W M64, 2" barrel w/ boot grips.  In a Galco high ride holster.  I let my polo shirt cover it and I was wearing a golf windbreaker   The holster tucks well and the shirt covers w/o a hint of something under it.  Well hidden.  And this was in Scranton, PA.

I would be no better than they are if I ignored their rights (rules).  I realize my rights stop at their door.

And I had decided to donate blood.  So I did.  Now I will find another place or company to donate to, other than the Red Cross.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat?

Who cares?  Its possible. That's all I need to know.  How much have you donated?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top