Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2002 9:30:40 AM EDT
... and making friends and influencing people. The fact that they take a censorship position on things [b]so traditional[/b] is telling.

-----------------------------------------------

Red Cross nixes 'God'
from 9-11 program
Song based on Declaration of Independence also barred
--------------------------------------------
Posted: March 9, 2002
By Ron Strom
© 2002 WorldNetDaily.com

The Orange County, Calif., chapter of the American Red Cross has canceled the planned performance of a music group at an upcoming event honoring the organization's volunteers who helped at the World Trade Center after the Sept. 11 attacks because the group planned to sing songs that mention "prayer" and "God."

"Somebody has gone a little overboard" at the Red Cross, said Cherilyn Bacon, director of First Act, a choral group made up of middle school-aged students from a local performing arts school.

The group was invited to perform "Heroes' Trilogy" and to dedicate it to the 9-11 volunteers at tomorrow's event. The arrangement includes three songs: "America the Beautiful," "Prayer of the Children" and Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the U.S.A."

First Act's rendition of "Declaration," a song that includes the opening lines from the Declaration of Independence, was also deemed inappropriate. Bacon says Patricia Johnson, a representative of the American Red Cross in Orange County, told her the Declaration is "a political document that … may offend" some.

Lynn Howse, public affairs director in the Orange County Red Cross office, defended her organization's decision on the Fox News Channel yesterday.

"We need to remain a neutral organization," she said. Howse said another group from the same school will perform in place of First Act and that the program will still include patriotic numbers.

While there have been issues raised by public school districts throughout the U.S. about the religious content of songs students perform, the charter school First Act represents has no problem with its repertoire. As a California charter school, it receives some private funding.

"The school is totally supportive," Bacon told WorldNetDaily. She refused to divulge the name of the school, citing the desire of administrators not to be drawn into the controversy.

Bacon mentioned that her group has received rave reviews for its moving rendition of "Heroes' Trilogy," which was arranged specifically to commemorate Sept. 11.

"The kids have performed these songs for a wide variety of organizations, from the Democrat and Republican Parties to the Santa Ana Interfaith Council," she said in a statement. "Without fail, the performance has brought tears and instant standing ovations. From Muslim to Hare Krishna to Christian to Jew … there has been unanimous applause."

Cindy Boragno, mother of one of the performers, was stunned by the Red Cross' action.

"What rot! This is outrageous," she said. "To think that the word 'God' cannot be used in a song."

Student Malorie Bryant expressed disappointment at the withdrawal of the group's invitation.

"We were so excited to finally be able to perform our special 'Heroes' tribute to the real heroes themselves," she said.

Surmised Bacon, "By taking this 'neutral' position, [the Red Cross] has just offended most of America."
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this true?  Any idea if it represents the national Red Cross position or is it just another CA liberal?  (Of course, that leaves the question of how this woman at the Red Cross got from Berkley to Orange Co?!)
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never donated a nickel to that horseshit organization, and never will.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have never donated a nickel to that horseshit organization, and never will.
View Quote

Same here! 40 years ago my Dad wouldn't even
give me 10 cents to donate to them at school
so I could wear one of those tin Red Cross
clips they used to give out with each donation.

He use to tell me about his experiences with
them during WW-II. They'd set up a donut
and coke stand on the base (Pacific) and go
to the Mess Hall, have the cooks make up the
donuts (using Navy Food/kitchen/cooks), then
sell the donuts and cokes for 10 cents each.
The cokes were 'donated' by coke and transported by the Navy to the base, so they were basically free too! Every week  he'd see
the Red Crossers go to the Exchange to turn in their money for Money Orders, then mail the
Money Orders home. This was a good chunk of
money being sent home every week! It wasn't only on one base this happened either. He was
sent around the Pacific and Aleutians to install
electrical systems on the fighters so they could mount and fire rockets. He said this was
occurring every where he went, and that officials of the Red Cross did nothing to curb the practice.

After 9/11, when the shit hit the fan about
the Charities not giving out the $$$, a number
of news shows where interviewing people and
a few of the old codgers where telling similar stories, and that they weren't surprised that
the Red Cross was in the middle of the controversy.  I guess nothing has changed with them.

Neil
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:25:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I watched '60 minutes' on Sunday. Among other things they revealed that the Red Cross had refused help to people [b]and then[/b] used their story in advertising to solicit funds. Totally unbelievable...
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:38:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I won't give them my blood, my money, or anymore of my time.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:28:34 AM EDT
[#6]
It wasn't just in this country the Red Cross scammed service men, it was done over in Great Britain too.  Canadian, American, and British alike were charged for "free," coffee and donuts.  They were dispised for selling stationary too.  The Salvation Army was the organization that everyone liked.  With them, it was free.  

It figures they would pull all that crap they have been doing since 9-11.  Now something new.  I hope these ratlickers get all the negative publicity they deserve.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#7]
After the WTC the red-cross has been the only organization to give me help. They came to my house with a Case Worker, A nurse and a Psychologist. They sat there for hours with me. They filled out all my paperwork,called the grocery store and set up an account to use a $250.00 voucher. They gave me money for all the meds I used which was close to $200.00. They have sent me 3 months morgutage.paid my electric,oil,car insurance. They took care of some outstanding credit bills. They have just given me close to $54,000 this week.
The United Way has given me about $4,000 and paid a month of heating bills. I can't agree with the Red Cross stand on this G-d thing. I thank them with all my heart for the support I have gotten and still get from them.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#8]
edpmedic:

Thanks for posting. We discussed the Red Cross about a month or two (?) after the attacks, and how they had done little at that time for the victims families. Later after much negative publicity they started handing out all the money they had taken in it seems to whomever they could find.

When did they first assist you?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's what I sent the Red Cross:

Your organization doesn't have a PRAYER of getting another dime from me - so help me, GOD.

Tate Strickland

link to let them know what you think:

[url]http://www.redcross.org/contactus.html[/url]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Try this one on for size.....

Canadians donated millions of dollars to the Red Cross for the relief efforts post 911.

Now it seems that the American Red Cross has decided the families of the 25 Canadian Victims will not get a single RED CENT OF THE MONIES......it seems that our Canadian Dead are not as valuable.....

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Message sent.[}:D]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#13]
The Unbiased Red Sticks will not like me very much, although I am interested in what their response to my .02 will be.

I recommended the above name so that they might minimize unnecessary offense to anyone. Any other suggestions out there?
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 8:25:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Canadians donated millions of dollars to the Red Cross for the relief efforts post 911.

Now it seems that the American Red Cross has decided the families of the 25 Canadian Victims will not get a single RED CENT OF THE MONIES......it seems that our Canadian Dead are not as valuable.....
View Quote

Doesn't surprise me Storm. From the '60 minutes' piece (and responses gathered from their top people) I got the impression that this is a very arrogant group of elitists.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 8:39:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Try this one on for size.....

View Quote

To this American the Canadian dead are of exactly equal importance to our American dead.

As a general statement, the Red Cross shafts all.  At least any and all they can get away with.

Link Posted: 3/13/2002 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#16]
As the Red Cross is now hosing our Canadian friends this is worth another pass.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I sent Bill O'Reilly (The Factor) Fox News an email on this.

Bill has been hard (and correct) about the Red Cross before so we'll see.

The Canadians raising money and then being cut-out really pisses me off.

Of course the Red Cross in general really pi$$es me off.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 4:49:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks 5sub....I know that most Americans would want to do the right thing.  That is why I was so shocked by the Red Crosses move on this matter.  
I think that the dead from any country should get some sort of funding as they are ALL victims in this case.

Link Posted: 3/15/2002 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's the reply I got from ARC:

Dear Tate:

The Fundamental Principles that guide the American Red Cross - Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntarism, Unity and Universality - are more important today than ever before.

The Red Cross is woven into the fabric of American history, responding to those who have needed help for more than 100 years.  Whether it has been a hurricane, earthquake, local house fire or world war, the American Red Cross has supported people around the world, regardless of race, ethnicity, culture or religion.

With the President of the United States serving as our honorary chairman, the American Red Cross does honor the freedoms of this country.  Songs like "God Bless America," "America the Beautiful," and "The Star-Spangled Banner" are often celebrated within the American Red Cross at volunteer recognition events, official organizational meetings, and other Red Cross functions.  National headquarters fully supports its own Red Cross Choir, which for several years has performed these and other inspirational and patriotic songs.

In the ranks of Red Cross volunteers and employees, there is wide religious and cultural diversity.  In the spirit of inclusivity, these individuals help us establish celebrations for internal and external audiences that appropriately recognize other faiths and cultures. It is this spirit that allows the organization to maintain the public's long held trust that the Red Cross is always there to help. Recently an error in judgement was made by an employee of the organization during the planning of a Red Cross recognition event.  This unfortunate incident, in which we were unable to come to an agreement regarding the content of an appropriate, inclusive volunteer recognition event, resulted in an unintended affront to many of our long time supporters. We would like to take this opportunity to extend our deepest apologies to those we may have offended.

The American Red Cross joins the millions of Americans who believe that America is, indeed, beautiful, from sea to shining sea.

[puke]

Link Posted: 3/15/2002 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top