Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2010 9:49:04 AM EDT
Got an old desktop computer that I've cleaned off.  Best Buy took the monitor, keyboard, and cables for recycling, but they won't take the tower (because it contains the hard-drive) or bag of parts that I've removed from the case.  They don't trust me that I've completely erased the hard-drive, and I can't take it out of the tower, as the bay it's inaccessibly screwed into is riveted into the case.  Any other suggestions for where I could recycle this thing, or do I end up sneaking it into a schoolyard dumpster?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:03:37 AM EDT
[#1]
if they won't take it, use it as a target, then throw the pieces in the trash. problem solved for a non-problem
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:04:30 AM EDT
[#2]
The only way to really erase a hard drive is to destroy it.

At my work, we just donated several used servers to Goodwill.  We removed the HDs first.  Boss wants to have a sledge hammer party next Friday.  I couldn't talk him into "50 BMG and Tannerite Day".

Some of our used HDs contain millions of credit reports.  We absolutely must destroy them.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Goodwill computer store

or target practice.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

At my work, we just donated several used servers to Goodwill.  We removed the HDs first.  Boss wants to have a sledge hammer party next Friday.  I couldn't talk him into "50 BMG and Tannerite Day".

Untrue, google "Eraser."
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Untrue, google "Eraser."

No software is good enough to meet our contractual obligation with Experian.  We have to physically destroy used hard drives that were ever used for credit reports.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Use this if you want to leave the drive intact.

http://www.dban.org/
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Sawz all, hammer, prybar, or something else should be used to access hard drive.

Open up hard drive to remove magnets.  Now you can really destroy the hard drive disk as well, fire works.

Chuck what is metal into metal scrap and don't worry about life so much.

I personally don't think you can totally erase a hard drive so I dismantle and destroy mine and all that is left is a bunch of random steel and some electronics.

Magnets are entertaining to play with and less deadly than some of the super mangnets folks have bought off the net and hurt themselves with.

Last computer that had an inaccessable bay only had some plastic blocking access to it, remove front plastic facia and suddenly stuff was accessable.

Due to potential warranty I can't see making something inaccessable.

But I have a sawzall and cut off wheel so I don't really worry about it much anyway.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:12:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I melt my HD's with a blow torch, then I toss them. I usually try to give away my memory sticks, but sometimes they're so old nothing will take them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Some of our used HDs contain millions of credit reports.  We absolutely must destroy them.

I keep one of these in my desk.

4 pound head.  Does the trick.  With a full sledge, you won't even need to get it outta the case if applied boldly and with vigor.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:13:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Hard drive platters make nifty wind chimes.  You can remove the recording media with hydrochloric acid.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#11]
1) Open the tower

2) remove Hard drive

3) Recycle (be green, don't have to pay trashmen)

Last time I was there, they offered geek squad support to remove a hard drive... like $35.

I recycle stuff all the time, since I take PCs from clients, strip the usable components and recycle the rest.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:32:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd find some way of removing the hard drive, just to salvage the magnets.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Tiger Direct's retail stores(now CompUSA) used to take them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Got an old desktop computer that I've cleaned off.  Best Buy took the monitor, keyboard, and cables for recycling, but they won't take the tower (because it contains the hard-drive) or bag of parts that I've removed from the case.  They don't trust me that I've completely erased the hard-drive, and I can't take it out of the tower, as the bay it's inaccessibly screwed into is riveted into the case.  Any other suggestions for where I could recycle this thing, or do I end up sneaking it into a schoolyard dumpster?

Save whatever components you want, if you intend to discard the hard drive erase it, and over right it with zeros, then erase it again a few dozen times (they make software for this), and if your really paranoid install a computer forensics defeating program.  Put all components to discarded in a sturdy non see through garbage bag, and just put it in the trash, fuck the hippie enviro freaks, what they don't know unfortunately won't hurt them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm having a bit of a problem with the idea that the drive is "inaccessible" - they got it in there, didn't they?  You might be overthinking the case assembly - sometimes those things just snap together, including the faceplate.

Also, before shooting it, hook the leads up to a 12v garden battery.  2000 fps + 7200 rpm=
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#17]
The glass platters get crunched up and pulverized. The aluminium platters get put in a kiln and taken to 2200f.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top