Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2008 7:15:01 PM EDT
I did my BFR and "soloed" again after a 15yr hiatus. Now I'm lookin for places to fly to around Texas. I guess I could buzz the Larue factory.

What's your favorite spot?

Jess
Link Posted: 11/8/2008 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratualtions on your BFR!!!!!

My mom just got her first BFR since 1984.
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 5:09:24 AM EDT
[#2]
That your decathlon in the picture? I'm definitely going to get my tail dragger endorsement, and the decathlon looks like a nice blend of go and show.
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 5:11:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Fly out to Carlsbad Caverns in NM.  Rent a car and see the caverns.
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 5:28:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Fly out to Carlsbad Caverns in NM.  Rent a car and see the caverns.

For anyone ever planning a trip to Carlsbad Caverns, BE SURE to call as far in advance as possible and make a reservation for NEW CAVE.  It is the only other cavern in Carlsbad Caverns N.P. (there are many) that is accessible to the public, but you must have reservations for the guided tour, bring your own light (there are non/few) and be prepared to hike the 1/2 mile to get there from the parking lot and some mild climbing inside the cavern.  It is X miles away from the big cavern but I guarantee you, you won't be disappointed. (Apologies if conditions may have changed since I was there)
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That your decathlon in the picture? I'm definitely going to get my tail dragger endorsement, and the decathlon looks like a nice blend of go and show.

Its a 7KCAB Citabria, but yes. Its what Im working on my private in.
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 8:16:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Their use to be a good airport cafe in LaGrange. Don't know if its still there or any good.
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#7]
If you get near Houston stop at Weiser air park, the restraunt is on field
as I recall. Its called Carl's BBQ and it was good indeed.
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Stephenville Tx is an absolute must.

Its pretty much where everyone in N. Tex goes once they get there licenses or solo XC.

Fly into the airport then get a ride over to Hard 8 BBQ.  They used to pick you up in a golf cart.  It is absolutely badass.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 5:15:31 AM EDT
[#9]
David Wayne Hooks in Houston.  Pretty girls, and a great place to eat at the FBO.

You can always check - http://www.fbohotties.com/
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 5:59:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Stephenville Tx is an absolute must.

Its pretty much where everyone in N. Tex goes once they get there licenses or solo XC.

Fly into the airport then get a ride over to Hard 8 BBQ.  They used to pick you up in a golf cart.  It is absolutely badass.

Yup. Good place. Also, Sulphur Springs (SLR) has the Red Barn restaurant just across the road.

Lancaster (LNC) has a little restaurant on field.

Addison (ADS) has the Outer Marker and I think another restaurant.

Amarillo (AMA) has an awesome restaurant right next to the FBO

Northwest Regional (52f) has good restaurant

Ardmore Regional in OK has a good BBQ place too.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Brenham  (11R) Great Food!
LaGrange (3T5) The Local EAA chapter has a flyin once a month, lots of neat aircraft and good food.
Lufkin - Angelina County -Has a monthly Fahita fly in
This link has many more!
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=11869

Have fun
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 5:53:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/11/2008 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We installed anti aircraft emplacements

What kind? Is there a strip nearby to fly in and check them out? :)

I miss the white lightning hanging out at Burnet airport.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#14]
The airport at Hondo has a real nice Cafe that serves a mean Chicken fried steak, might not be the best thing if you got an 8 hour burner scheduled buts is a cool place to fly into if you are out of Austin. Also just North of Fredricksburg is Enchanted Rock State park that at a minimum deserves a fly over, bring your camera its beautiful.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I am a spaceship door gunner on the weekends. Pick me up when you buzz LaRue's and I'll take care of their so called defenses.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Amarillo has a nice little airport restaurant on the field.  
I have not been to this place, but others I know have gone to the Big Texan close by.  I think a van comes and gets you from the airport.  They came back raving about the place and had giant foam cowboy hats that I think they wore home in the jet....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top