Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2002 1:35:50 PM EDT
Anyone have an recommendations on a pair of reasonably compact or midsize (under 35mm obj) binoculars for $100-150?  Just looking for a pair of porro prisms for my father, mainly to be used at sporting events, so ruggedness is not a primary concern, nor is brightness (hence the preference of a more compact model) as they will be used during daylight in an open field.

I checked out [url]http://www.betterviewsdesired.com[/url] based on search results found here.  They give a bunch of recommendations, but it appears that the reviews are sort of old, as I can't even find most models in the categories I am looking for online for sale, let alone a retail store that carries them.  I'd like to end up ordering them online - any recommended sources would be appreciated, but I'd like to be able to take a look through them first at a retail shop, if possible.

It actually seems like BVD rated most of the compact ones with bak4 glass they reviewed pretty much the same.  This sort of worries me, as it probably means everything is pretty much ho-hum without any really good buys for the size and price.  Opinions?

Thanks,
Rocko
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless you're looking for really high quality, Wal-mart and most sports stores sell good binos for around $20-30.  I have one I bought for something like $20, and it's pretty good.  I think it's 25mm 10x, and it has coated optics, each eyepiece is focusable seperately, and they're all in all pretty nice.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Rocko

I bought a pair of Nikon diplomat 8x32 compact long eye relief binculars direct from Nikon as factory refurbs. I paid $105 for a binoculars that cost close to $300 originally. I have had them for about 3 years now and haven't had any problems at all. In fact they are the binoculars I use most often now.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been using a pair of [url=http://www.steiner-binoculars.com/binoculars/predator/222.html]Steiner Predator 8x22 compact binocs[/url] for about a year now.  Very good optics, lightweight, etc.  SWFA has them for $149.95.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top