Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2013 4:55:02 PM EDT
Just cancelled my DirectTV subscription in favor of Netflix and my local HD channels. Since I'm only about 15 miles from my local stations, I'm guessing an indoor HD antenna should work. Since there seems to be a gazillion choices out there. Can anyone recommend a certain brand, type, or design that they've successfully used to bring in their free local HD channels?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 4:57:41 PM EDT
Any antenna will do. Don't be fooled by the HD antenna BS. I am using the same antenna that I have use for almost 15 years. No difference when the signal changed from Analog tp Digital
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:00:52 PM EDT
I spent $40 on a Mohu Leaf. I love it. It's the size of a sheet of paper. I tossed it on the cabinet next yo my entertainment center. I didn't even put it on the wall. I get every channel available in my area.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:10:19 PM EDT
Correct, no such thing as an 'HD 'antenna.
Radio Shack sells a good one, do not recall P\N, is about 18" diameter, is amplified, and Really pulls in the stations.
Is made to be mounted outdoors, however, will work in attic or such, if not too far away from stations.
Works Great.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:14:44 PM EDT
psst...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how-to/tv/build-your-own-digital-tv-antenna

works like a charm and cost me $5 or so to build.

I actually bought several store bought digital antennas and they all sucked. Returned them and built the one in the article.

It's worked so well, I've built more for other people.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:17:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:25:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hdhogman:
Correct, no such thing as an 'HD 'antenna.

Correct that there is no HD antenna; however, when they changed to digital signals some stations changed from UHF to VHF. The different bands do use different shaped antenna's. If all the stations are one or the other then you can choose the best antenna for that type of signal.

Start by going here http://www.antennapoint.com/ and entering your zip code. It will show you all the stations around you, which bands they are on, how far away they are, and which direction they are in. The bow tie shaped antennas are the best for UHF, most homes have the older style antenna that picks up both UHF and VHF but not as well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:45:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By zeekh:
Any antenna will do. Don't be fooled by the HD antenna BS. I am using the same antenna that I have use for almost 15 years. No difference when the signal changed from Analog tp Digital

This. I swung by my parents house after work today to reconnect their TVs to the antenna on the roof that has been there for 20 years (they cancelled uverse). Each TV or tuner in the house picked up 63 digital channels.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:13:49 PM EDT
I have this one, it works amazing for long ranges or poor conditions. I get 90% reception at 20 miles in a valley with the antenna mounted in the attic.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=hd8200u&d=winegard-hd8200u-heavy-duty-platinum-vhf%2Fuhf%2Ffm-hdtv-antenna-%28hd-8200u%29&sku=615798398491

I also have set up a DB4 for my parents and am impressed on the reception for its size. 15 miles with no major blockages and you will be fine.
Top Top