Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2021 2:03:57 PM EDT
Looks like I'll be renting an enclosed 15' trailer for a 2,000+ mile journey.  Overnight hotel stays will be required.  The trailer will remain hitched to the tow vehicle for the entire trip.

1.  What's the best way to secure the trailer against theft?  

2.  What's the best way to secure the trailer against break-in?

The trailer is a rental, so I can't do permanent mods.  But I am open to carrying wrenches and jack stands to do things like removing one or both tires overnight.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I usually use a lock
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Lock and back in where doors cannot be opened.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Heavy chain and bolt cutter proof padlock through rims and around frame.  Also one around trailer tongue and truck's hitch frame.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Lots of flex tape.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Locks on the trailer, chain and lock trailer to car but I would say its rare for a small trailer to be unhitched and stolen, backing up to a wall works as well
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:11:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't stop
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Locks on everything?  I never bothered with pulling a wheel.

Just got matching locks for a new trailer from PackLock.  Pretty decent looking/feeling.  Lock drawbar to tow vehicle, and the coupler latch on the trailer.  Puck locks on the rear and side doors.  Stay in decent areas.  Someone really wants in, they can cut through a trailer easily.  They can also unbolt a coupler.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#8]
And don't forget the spare tire if hanging, have seen those get swiped
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Dontt forget to put a lock on the coupler and trailer hitch

If it has a rear cargo door then back up against a utility or light pole

Get a room where you can see the trailer from

Put solar powered stick on motion lights on the trailer

Call the local PD where you are staying and ask them to do a drive by patrol a couple times

Put a bio-hazard decal on the trailer

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Is it a big enough trailer that you can stick a Korean on it's roof?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 3:06:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lock and back in where doors cannot be opened.
View Quote

THIS.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Heavily smear with feces.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I have traveled all over the country pulling a job trailer.  All cargo trailers have a place for a padlock on the door.  You can work a padlock into one of the safety chains if really worried about that.  Avoid hotels in the ghetto and you'll be fine.  Even in the ghetto you are still going to be fine most of the time.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#15]
One of the Harbor Freight driveway/motion alarms can be useful.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Theft- boots on all of the wheels.

Break in... good luck.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Pick up a couple Biohazard and Infectious Substance placards and slap them on at night; do not leave them on while moving.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#18]
The big locks that look like a hockey puck and back up into something to block the door.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Locks like this that can't be defeated with bolt cutters.

security lock
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Gotta find a way to work it onto the trailer but you could try one of those cable locks that also have an alarm on them.  

Just for the alarm's sake of it all.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#22]
dude where are you stopping? Maybe take a different route
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
dude where are you stopping? Maybe take a different route
View Quote

@StanleySpidowski

Any place with roadside hotels is known to thieves.  The cargo is also a risk too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Locks like this that can't be defeated with bolt cutters.

security lock
View Quote

There are a lot of really good hardened steel puck locks that can't be bolt cutter-ed off.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#25]
There was one parked in front of our business that had a coupler lock, heavy hasps on the doors, and a bar that ran through both wheels with locks on both ends.

It still got stolen.

Sleep in the truck in a walmart lot or trucker lot where there is less crime than a shitty motel maybe?
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There was one parked in front of our business that had a coupler lock, heavy hasps on the doors, and a bar that ran through both wheels with locks on both ends.

It still got stolen.

Sleep in the truck in a walmart lot or trucker lot where there is less crime than a shitty motel maybe?
View Quote

The problem is that it happens everywhere.  My cousin stayed at a hotel in The Woodlands TX for $200+/night.  (It’s hard to get less shitty than the Woodlands.)  His trailer was broken into and his tools were stolen.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 1:55:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Cheap driveway alarm put the sensor in the trailer and the receiver in your hotel room. Carry a gun and a big spotlight.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Locks on the trailer, chain and lock trailer to car but I would say its rare for a small trailer to be unhitched and stolen, backing up to a wall works as well
View Quote

You never been to Albuquerque have you?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top