Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/26/2006 9:07:18 PM EDT
I was going about cleaning my place today and my Oreck started smoking and then promptly stopped working.  I took that as a subtle hint that is was time for a new one.

So, any suggestions?  I only have carpet in my place and I do have a dog that does shed - he's a short hair.  I am looking for something that is well built and will clean well.  That's what important to me.

I did some digging around on Consumer Reports and they seem to like Sears and a couple of various Hoover models.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#1]
This may sound funny but my neighbor has that Dyson vac and he says that thing is the best vac he's ever owned.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:10:48 PM EDT
[#2]
those things suck
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing sucks like Electrolux.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:11:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Dyson
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea he says the Dyson sucks.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:13:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a Dyson that kicks ass.  Buddies got a Kirby.  they are both awesome sucking bastards but the Dyson is cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Luv my Dyson
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Kirby - nothing else comes close.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Consumer's Report did an extensive evaluation on vacuum cleaners, go read the story at your local library.  They have somre rather interesting test results.  I know many poeple on this board to believe them, its worth a read even though you don't have to follow their recommendations.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#10]
One word......Rainbow
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A woman.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

really nice but expensive
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I believe a built in central vacuum system (we have Nutone units) is the route to go, with the power head(s) in the garage, they vent outside and are very quiet.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Sears Kenmore canister vac. I believe it came out on top in Consumer Reports. I like mine a lot.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yeah, thats what I have.
A vacuum is a vacuum to me, I dont give a shit. But the wife wanted another Kirby so......
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:11:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

really nice but expensive

The wife or the vacuum cleaner?  hanks
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:31:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Dyson.. Thats all I gotta say. The BEST vacuum I ever owned!!

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:02:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Resurrecting this thread:

I just got a Dyson. A Dyson 07 "animal" to be precise.
I'm still learning how to use the damn thing...but I gotta tell you, the stuff it took outta my finished basement carpet (which had been vacuumed 2 days ago) is frightening.

I predict less headaches and less sneezing in my family's future.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:06:20 AM EDT
[#19]
We just reitred out Electrolux that we got as a gift when they Wife and I got married. Worked great for 27 years!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:11:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I like the Orecks we use here in the dorms...nice...and made in the USA.

Hoover, and other Wallymart brands are cheap pieces of Sh!t IMHO...

You could go the uber expensive route and buy a Kirby or a Rainbow (uses a tub of water instead of bags)...nicely made, but too pricey..
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:15:51 AM EDT
[#21]
We bought a Hoover Windtunnel with two counter-rotating brush rollers. It does a very good job, but longer hair will wrap aound the rollers and need to be cut off occasionally.  About ten minutes of work every couple of months.  I'd buy another one.  We got ours for about $160.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:16:00 AM EDT
[#22]
My grandparents still use a 30+ yo Kirby. My mom bought one about 10 years ago and still works like new.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:29:19 AM EDT
[#23]
We have a 2 story and my wife does not like to lug the vacuum up and down.  When we moved in we had a Sears cannister. It cleans well and we like the on board tools.

I went on ebay an found a rebuilt Kirby for about $200 with shampooer.  It is a better vac than the Sears, IMO.  

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Dyson

+1

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:40:56 AM EDT
[#25]
I hear good things about Dyson.

However, I'm a single guy and am still using the Wally World special I bought for 50 bucks 4 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:44:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Isn't a dyson around $500?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:44:33 AM EDT
[#27]
I can tell you what NOT to buy.

Bought a Hoover Windtunnel a couple of years ago. What a piece of crap. It's hard to vaccuum because you're constantly having to pick up the pieces that either fall off or break off of it.

I'm going Dyson next time.

Ed
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:47:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Yes...But, typical woman, I had a 20% off coupon for the store I got it at!
That said...When I started using it yesterday, the suction was so intense I would not let my 4 year old near it...I was afraid it'd suck him up!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:01:11 AM EDT
[#29]
I bought a Dyson DC-14 (with a discount coupon) a month ago.  I had a Hoover Windtunnel before that.

The day I brought it home I vacuumed my living room with the Hoover, and then with the Dyson.  I had to empty the Dyson 8 times before I was done.  Now I only have to empty the Dyson when I'm done with a room.  Allergy problems have decreased.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:05:28 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That said...When I started using it yesterday, the suction was so intense I would not let my 4 year old near it...I was afraid it'd suck him up!

Damn, I'd buy one if I could get $100 off too.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:06:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Dyson Animal - it saved my dog's life.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:19:44 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Dyson Animal - it saved my dog's life.

Yup...that's the one I got, Dyson 07 Animal
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:27:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Anyone got that $1K Miele German job?  Or willing to admit to it?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:07:30 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I bought a Dyson DC-14 (with a discount coupon) a month ago.  I had a Hoover Windtunnel before that.

The day I brought it home I vacuumed my living room with the Hoover, and then with the Dyson.  I had to empty the Dyson 8 times before I was done.  Now I only have to empty the Dyson when I'm done with a room.  Allergy problems have decreased.

You know how many people have repeated your same story. Its more common than you think. We did it as well.

As far as the price goes, I have a belief. You want the BEST you have to pay for it. ALL the work tools I purchase follow that belief.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Dyson, we have had Kirby's, Rainbows, and cheapos. Nothing sucks like a Dyson.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know how many people have repeated your same story. Its more common than you think. We did it as well.

As far as the price goes, I have a belief. You want the BEST you have to pay for it. ALL the work tools I purchase follow that belief.

It was the postings here that convinced me to buy one.  I didn't mention that I got the Dyson DC-14 Animal model.  I have a Siberian Husky mix and two Pugs.  Dog hair problems dropped to zero.  When I first saw Dysons I thought they were an over priced gimmick.  Was I ever wrong.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Consumer's Report did an extensive evaluation on vacuum cleaners, go read the story at your local library.  They have somre rather interesting test results.  I know many poeple on this board to believe them, its worth a read even though you don't have to follow their recommendations.

Just last month, it was.  I have a hoover Saavy, which was number 6 out of 50 or so.  little over 200 bucks, and I swear with the amount of loose carpet filiments it pulls up on the second to HIGHEST brush setting, I am going to have wood floors next week.   I have only about 600 sq ft of carpet and I have empty it TWICE during a weekly floor sucking.  (no shoes on in the house and I don't live a nasty dusty life either)
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:07:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Dysons are awesome.  Had a hard time willing to spend the money for it but I'm glad I did.   A friend bought a reconditioned one some where and he said it works like a champ.  Only thing about his it's got a crazy color scheme I never saw.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I know the Dyson's don't use a bag. Do they have some sort of final filter to keep any residual dust from going back in the room ?

Ed
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:44:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Dyson!  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it's Bed Bath and Beyond that ships out 20% off coupons on a weekly basis. Probably one in your mailbox.

My buddy got his the same way PlaymoreMinds did, with a coupon.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Dyson - we have the purple 'animal' model, and it's magic on our carpets (we have nine cats).  I never thought I'd admit it, but it's well worth every penny.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Just bought a Dyson after reading this thread for a while. I got the one with the ball roller and really like it. Only thing that suprised me was it didn't have an adjustable height. But it don't matter, it works wonders on all my floors and has a quick detach wand for corners and etc. Very light and monuverable.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Kirby, and don't pay too much. Ebay is your friend. $1200? Try $300, with attachments. Watch the auctions for a while.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#46]
What's the life expectancy of a Dyson?....My Grandma had a kirby that was 35 yrs old and still worked fine....
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Sears Kenmore canister vac. I believe it came out on top in Consumer Reports. I like mine a lot.

I can't believe only one guy posted this. The wife bought a Kenmore canister a few yesrs ago and that thing kicks ass. Cheaper than Dyson too - we paid $250.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't believe only one guy posted this. The wife bought a Kenmore canister a few yesrs ago and that thing kicks ass. Cheaper than Dyson too - we paid $250.

I'm currently using a 6 gallon Craftsman shop-vac, does that count?
I wouldn't recommend it though, replacement filters are cheaper for the Shop-Vac. And they're one size fits all, so you don't have to remember the model number.

I think an upright is easier to use.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:08:42 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it's Bed Bath and Beyond that ships out 20% off coupons on a weekly basis. Probably one in your mailbox.

My buddy got his the same way PlaymoreMinds did, with a coupon.

Stryfe is the winner!
BBB is where I got it.
With my coupon.
Love that store...Hubby hates it. As he says: It's BEYOND him how I can spend so much money on BED and BATH things....
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:21:18 AM EDT
[#50]

I'm currently using a 6 gallon Craftsman shop-vac, does that count?
I wouldn't recommend it though, replacement filters are cheaper for the Shop-Vac. And they're one size fits all, so you don't have to remember the model number.

So do I.  A trick I found is to put a little water in the tank and to wet the filter.  Then it does a better job of trapping dust.  You can also suck-up a little water when you're finished to clean the dust from the inside of the hose.  You can't do that with a normal vac.

We had a Dyson for a couple of days at work before the owner of the company made me return it.  An employee was playing with it and made the comment in front of several people that it "sucked good enough to perform an abortion."   That freaked out the owner a little, and he made me return it.  It worked very well the few minutes I used it.z
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top