Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/15/2009 11:11:47 PM EDT
I usually am not to much into this, but I just moved to the emptiest city on the planet in Jackson County, MS and they have like 3 radio stations. Consequently, my preferred hard rock/metal isnt one of them, r+b/hiphop/rap isnt here either, this leaves me with douchebagish American top 40 pop, or country.

Anyhow, this stuff isn't that bad. I'm looking to get some CD's or DL some stuff can anyone recommend some good bands or singers thanks?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#1]
old DAC.

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffHcGlF0xDw

Still need to get a mama tried tattoo.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:13:32 PM EDT
[#2]
New or Old?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
New or Old?

either or

I'd prefer new

Ive been a Cash fan for years, but that's as country as I got, with the exception of the songs everyone knows.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:15:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Good country music is an oxymoron....

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:16:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1

It doesn't exist.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Lets see you need some Buck Owens, Marty Robbins, George Strait, DAC, Alabama, Hank Jr. and Sr,Michael Martin Murphy, Tracy Lawrence, Waylon Jennings, Willy Nelson. Get those and come back to me Should keep you busy for hours.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Normally i'd agree, but there are a few exceptions. Hank Sr, Hank Jr., Haggard, DAC, old school Charlie Daniels Band, Cash. New country is queer IMO.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:19:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Hank Williams Jr.

Merle Haggard

Waylan Jennings

David Allan Coe

Alabama

Brooks and Dunn

Aaron Tippin

Garth Brooks

That's a few.  There's more.  The newest stuff seems like American Idol crap to me, but I might just be getting old.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:20:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hank Williams Jr.
Merle Haggard
Waylan Jennings
David Allan Coe
Alabama
Brooks and Dunn
Aaron Tippin
Garth Brooks

That's a few.  There's more.  The newest stuff seems like American Idol crap to me, but I might just be getting old.  

I'm only 27, but new country sucks. I HATE it, I do however appreciate the classics, atleast the men back then were real men.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:20:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lets see you need some Buck Owens, Marty Robbins, George Strait, DAC, Alabama, Hank Jr. and Sr,Michael Martin Murphy, Tracy Lawrence, Waylon Jennings, Willy Nelson. Get those and come back to me Should keep you busy for hours.

Add Alan Jackson, Brooks and Dunn, Clint Black, Randy Travis, Brooks and Dunn, Darryl Worley and Jason Aldean too.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Add Alan Jackson, Brooks and Dunn, Clint Black, Randy Travis, Brooks and Dunn, Darryl Worley and Jason Aldean too.

Yep.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:25:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Normally i'd agree, but there are a few exceptions. Hank Sr, Hank Jr., Haggard, DAC, old school Charlie Daniels Band, Cash. New country is queer IMO.

I like Cash but his music is the only exception to the rule for me. I can't stand new country music. It all sounds the same. Just like hip hop/r&b.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:27:23 PM EDT
[#13]
There's a lot of good new country out there. You just have to filter through the cry baby bullshit like Tim Mcgraw, Brad Paisley and Kenny Chesney. Granted they have SOME good songs, but most of it is crying about how they still love their girlfriend that left them for a better man. Also, try to avoid the total pussified douchebags such as Keith Urban and Rascal Fats.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:29:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
New or Old?

either or

I'd prefer new

Ive been a Cash fan for years, but that's as country as I got, with the exception of the songs everyone knows.

New artist with old flavor - Jamie Johnson
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:31:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Let me take this opportunity to express my vehement hatred for Tim McGraw and all of his shitty, sappy, gimmicky songs.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:35:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's a real trip for you guys. Remember Darius Rucker from Hootie and the Blowfish?
Well, he sings country now. It's actually a farely decent song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at_lUnFjXg8
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:35:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Let me take this opportunity to express my vehement hatred for Tim McGraw and all of his shitty, sappy, gimmicky songs.

Here, here.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:37:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
New or Old?

either or

I'd prefer new

I have a few of his songs bookmarked from youtube. Pretty good stuff.

Jamey Johnson - In Color
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:40:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Jason Boland & The Stragglers!  You may also like Roger Creager, Wade Bowen, Randy Rogers Band, and a litany of other bands that come out of the Texas Country/Red Dirt scene.  Fuck Nashville.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:54:41 PM EDT
[#21]
One of my favorites is Blackhawk. Its like the Ozzie of country music. Jason Aldean is good too. Anything by brook and dunn, alabama, nitty gritty dirt band, david balll etc. Not all country is about losing your truck, dog and woman.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:02:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Eric Church.
Good, no Great Stuff

How 'bout you?

Guys Like Me

Sinners Like Me

Willie
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:12:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My guess is you know dick about country music.

There's a lot of good new country, it's just coming out of Texas instead of Nashville. Check the Texas Music chart for good stuff.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Jason Boland & The Stragglers!  You may also like Roger Creager, Wade Bowen, Randy Rogers Band, and a litany of other bands that come out of the Texas Country/Red Dirt scene.  Fuck Nashville.

Adam Carroll, too.

And don't forget Jerry Jeff Walker and Robert Earl Keene
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:16:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Hank Sr. is the shit, Hank Jr. sucks cock, and then there is HANK III.  Hank III rules.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:49:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Robert Earl Keen-The road goes on forever (the best quality i could find great story teller

Billy Currington - (God is great, beer is good,) PEOPLE ARE CRAZY just found this guy

Brad Paisley - I'm gonna miss her GREAT guitar player

Pride and Glory - Losin your mind Zakk Wylde throws some banjo down....kinda a metal/bluegrass combo. only did 1 album but good though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:07:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My guess is you know dick about country music.

There's a lot of good new country, it's just coming out of Texas instead of Nashville. Check the Texas Music chart for good stuff.

Good guess. I don't know dick about country music because I can't stand it. I gave it an honest try when my ex tried to get me into it. Aside from the basic 6 chord format, they also almost always have terrible lyrics. I turned on the radio and put it on a country station a few months ago when a few of my buddies and I were on the way back from a weekend trip, we started laughing about a song that was talking about a pickup truck. Then the next song mentioned a pickup truck. We laughed and turned it off. No doubt the next song was about a pickup truck. In the same way rappers talk about drugs, egos, and loose women, country singers talk about pickup trucks, small towns and drinking. Neither strike me as genius lyrics. There are no "Bob Dylan"s or "Aaron Weiss"s of country music. The closest would be Cash but they don't make any like him anymore
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:32:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

+1

Add Stoney Larue, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Ray Wylie Hubbard, James McMurtry, Hank 3, Shooter Jennings, and a whole list of others.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:38:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Dixie Chicks

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:44:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Hank III & Wayne Hancock would be good places to start for newer stuff.

Hank Sr, Cash, Haggard, CDB, Jennings for more of a classic feel.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:48:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There's a lot of good new country out there. You just have to filter through the cry baby bullshit like Tim Mcgraw, Brad Paisley and Kenny Chesney. Granted they have SOME good songs, but most of it is crying about how they still love their girlfriend that left them for a better man. Also, try to avoid the total pussified douchebags such as Keith Urban and Rascal Fats.

Sorry, can't stand most listed but I enjoy B Paisley and he's a FAR better musician then most in ANY music genre nowadays. His songs are usually anything BUT cry baby BS. And, unlike most, the guy has a damn good sense of humor.

If the "fishing song" is crybaby in any sense of the word I fail to see it.

The guy can play a guitar better far better then most and actually writes much of his own stuff and can do passable blues music.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:03:28 AM EDT
[#32]
CCR check em out. good mix

CCR

dimebag
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:05:08 AM EDT
[#33]

Jamey Johnson - In Color

I guess I'm unusual in that I have as heavy a back-woods Alabama accent as one will ever hear yet, I generally despise "country" music.  However,it's been a long-long time since a song reached me as deeply as that one does.  

I'm not into music; I go for weeks at a time without listening to anything; there hasn't been a CD in the player in my truck for probably a year.  Music doesn't really have an entertainment value for me but rather it's a genuine form of expression that when I recognize it, I'm moved by it.  I really do appreciate music if and when it reaches me, but it rarely does.  

I was with a friend and his brothers over memorial day weekend on a camping trip––camping out of our trucks.  One of my friends brothers (Dennis) and I were talking about patriotism and especially our shared reverence for the greatest generation whose passing was noted as we spoke.  The conversation spilled over to the other men around the campfire; we all remembered as any American worth his salt occasionally should.   Dennis quietly got up and played that song from his truck's stereo and he sang along with it; nailing it.  That's how In Color was introduced to me and I'll never forget it.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:41:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Country is like any other kind of music in that the best of it will never get played on the radio.  Go find yourself some Dale Watson, Wayne Hancock, J.B. Beverley and the Wayward Drifters, and the first two Hank Williams III albums.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:57:25 AM EDT
[#35]
as good as he is you prob wouldnt like hank sr., he is twangy and sings about stuff you dont want to hear (but once you get turned onto country you will enjoy him because of what he means to country) you might like some of Hank jr. though, and someone mentioned Hank III who i havent really heard but do know that he is even more rock and prob up your alley.

my sugestion would be to go for more southern rock such as skynyrd, charlie daniels band, and montgomery gentry. montgomery gentry is new but they are good and can rock it. (listen to Hillbilly Shoes, what do ya think about that, and hell yeah.) also you might like keith anderson (pickin wild flowers, and three chord country)

what turned me onto country was right after 9-11 they were the only ones singing about getting up and fighting, and toby keith is the first one i listened to w/ Courtesy The Red White and Blue. Keith is good, Trace adkins also has a good song about Arlington (very sobering)

if you need more suggestions on patriotic, southern rock, or anything else send me a message and i could just give you a bunch of artist names

also, look up Cpl. Joshua Belile online. The guy was/is a marine who caught alot of flack for a song he made up but its pretty good if you ask me (i downloaded it for free just off the internet)
Hadji Girl Song
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:58:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Hank 3.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:06:32 AM EDT
[#37]
While I listen to a bit of the new stuff- take a look at Shelby Cobra..... one of my kids at school gave me the CD and it's pretty damn good....

-Roth
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:07:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Chris Ledoux
Steve Earle
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:09:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Hank 3.

PFF FTMFW

Craig Morgan is good....10+ year Ranger, now a CM artist

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:09:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Zack Brown Band
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:11:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Check out Hank Williams III.

http://www.hank3.com/

Also look into Rockabilly.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:17:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Chris Ledoux
Steve Earle

How can this be the only mention of Chris Ledoux?  Excellent songs and a great voice to back them up!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:32:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:33:01 AM EDT
[#44]
OMG!!!  Toby Kieth.  Duhhhh
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:36:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, can't stand most listed but I enjoy B Paisley and he's a FAR better musician then most in ANY music genre nowadays. His songs are usually anything BUT cry baby BS. And, unlike most, the guy has a damn good sense of humor.

If the "fishing song" is crybaby in any sense of the word I fail to see it.

The guy can play a guitar better far better then most and actually writes much of his own stuff and can do passable blues music.

+1  Thumbs Up for Brad Paisley

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=EA7D906C9E896428

Waitin on a woman
Whiskey Lullaby
When I get where I'm going
Alcohol

Also http://www.radiofreetexas.org/ FTW
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:43:33 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm surprised I haven't seen it mentioned, but check out Rodney Atkins as well. I'm not a huge fan of his first album, but the last two were very good, in my opinion.

It's America
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:48:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Huge Jamie Johnson fan here.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:48:31 AM EDT
[#48]
My usual plug for Old Crow Medicine Show and Gillian Welch & David Rawlings:

OCMS - Wagon Wheel

Gillian & David - Red Clay Halo

Gillian, David and OCMS - The Weight
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:09:19 AM EDT
[#49]
A good rule of thumb is if it's from Nashville, it's crap. Mix and match the following FTW:

Ryan Bingham
Jason Boland & the Stragglers
Bleu Edmondson
Cory Morrow
Roger Creager
Randy Rogers
Eli Young Band
Aaron Watson
Ryan Adams
Adam Hood
Bart Crow
Brian Burns
Corb Lund
Mark McKinney
Reckless Kelly
Wade Bowen
Walt Wilkins
Townes van Zandt

Notable exceptions to the Nashville rule are The Mavericks and Dierks Bentley.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:09:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
as good as he is you prob wouldnt like hank sr., he is twangy and sings about stuff you dont want to hear (but once you get turned onto country you will enjoy him because of what he means to country) you might like some of Hank jr. though, and someone mentioned Hank III who i havent really heard but do know that he is even more rock and prob up your alley.

my sugestion would be to go for more southern rock such as skynyrd, charlie daniels band, and montgomery gentry. montgomery gentry is new but they are good and can rock it. (listen to Hillbilly Shoes, what do ya think about that, and hell yeah.) also you might like keith anderson (pickin wild flowers, and three chord country)

what turned me onto country was right after 9-11 they were the only ones singing about getting up and fighting, and toby keith is the first one i listened to w/ Courtesy The Red White and Blue. Keith is good, Trace adkins also has a good song about Arlington (very sobering)

if you need more suggestions on patriotic, southern rock, or anything else send me a message and i could just give you a bunch of artist names

also, look up Cpl. Joshua Belile online. The guy was/is a marine who caught alot of flack for a song he made up but its pretty good if you ask me (i downloaded it for free just off the internet)
Hadji Girl Song

Dirka Dirka Mohamed jihad...... One of my favorites!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top