Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2008 5:57:02 PM EDT
I was just hired on as a CO and need to get some boots. I have a pair of 5.11 that I wear when I ride my Harley. They aren't bad and I was thinking about getting another pair, but have heard good things about Danner boots.

I don't mind spending up to $200 for a good pair if I only have to buy them once and they will last a few years.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Danner.com

Which one? I think the Striker GTX may be a little better for the FL weather.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Danner.com

Acadia plain toe

Can't be beat for country of manufacture, weight, and mix of materials (keep you cool, warm, dry, whatever).

yeah, I work as a CO and I wear the Acadia.  Non-insulated Safety toe.  I love em, sometimes though I switch to my Bates because they have a side-zip.  but the Acadias are my number 1 choice.  they work like a boot but wear like a tennis shoe.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 1:43:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Acadia also.  I thought I'd sweat more but somehow I sweat less in them.  Exellent boot, tough as nails, and can be resoled.  I love my Danners and will never change up unless they quit making them.

On a similar note, I found out why my heels were so darned callused up.  I used those stupid orthodics they include with them.  Finally got rid of those stupid things and heels quit cracking, d'oh!

Link Posted: 10/14/2008 2:04:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Danner.com

Acadia plain toe

Can't be beat for country of manufacture, weight, and mix of materials (keep you cool, warm, dry, whatever).

This-still have them after 5 years. Only changed the soles once.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 3:14:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a set of Acadias that need soles and a set of Ft. Lewis that are brand new (last set was cut off my leg after a motor vehicle crash)
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:30:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys.

I am going to go to the Army/Navy store today. They carry both Danner Acadia and Striker GTX. Do the Acadia's get heavy after 8-10 hours? 12 hour shifts here!
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:01:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks guys.

I am going to go to the Army/Navy store today. They carry both Danner Acadia and Striker GTX. Do the Acadia's get heavy after 8-10 hours? 12 hour shifts here!

I have the Acadias and I'm on 12s. The only time they get heavy is after foot chases.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:47:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#11]

I've been wearing a pair of these for about 6 years now, and I love them.  I tried the lace in zippers but thought they looked ghetto.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been wearing Matterhorn which have similar styles and features of Danner. I am wearing these;
www.corcoranandmatterhorn.com/ItemDisplay.asp?Style=102494&CategoryID=33
I have been all over with them and they have served me well. Danners are also great too.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:28:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
s7ondemand5.scene7.com/is/image/LaCrosse/22500?$thumb$

I've been wearing a pair of these for about 6 years now, and I love them.  I tried the lace in zippers but thought they looked ghetto.

Nonsense!  The only thing more jack-booted would be motor boots.

The boots I spoke of are Danner Acadias.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:40:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Most comfortable pair of footwear I own are my duty boots, I have a pair of Converse (I know I know, but try em and you'll love em) 8" boots with side-zip that are waterproof and have the composite safety toe. These things are light and very comfortable. Easy to shine, very well made. IIRC I got mine for about $100 from Galls.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:04:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I have the Danner Striker GTX boots.  I've had them for about 5 years.  They still have another year or two in them.  The soles are getting a little worn but they are still going strong.

I'll definately buy another pair.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 8:17:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Most comfortable pair of footwear I own are my duty boots, I have a pair of Converse (I know I know, but try em and you'll love em) 8" boots with side-zip that are waterproof and have the composite safety toe. These things are light and very comfortable. Easy to shine, very well made. IIRC I got mine for about $100 from Galls.

Are these the moon boot looking things with big, padded uppers with all kinds of Star Trek gizmo designs?  The kind that make your trouser hem hang up on them?
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:03:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are these the moon boot looking things with big, padded uppers with all kinds of Star Trek gizmo designs?  The kind that make your trouser hem hang up on them?

HAHA ya they do look a little like moon boots. I have never had an issue with them getting hung up on my uniform pants though. Through the Fire Academy, EMT school, or on the job haven't had that problem or heard that complaint.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I was just hired on as a CO and need to get some boots. I have a pair of 5.11 that I wear when I ride my Harley. They aren't bad and I was thinking about getting another pair, but have heard good things about Danner boots.

I don't mind spending up to $200 for a good pair if I only have to buy them once and they will last a few years.

Thanks.

I used to wear the Danner's for years til I tried the Bates Durashock line of boots.  Much better, more comfortable on the feet and an overall lighter in weight boots.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#20]
The Blackhawk Warrior Wear Black Ops are my current boot and the most comfortable pair of shoes I have ever owned.  Yes over my Nikes, New Balance, and such.  I still have my Danner Arcadias and they are in great shapes after 5 years of duty use, you just can't hurt them.  But they are very heavy, and when I came home after a 12 hour shift my legs and knees ached very bad.  I got my Blackhawk's and never so much of a pain since.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I ordered the Danner Striker II GTX today.

I bought them from LA Police Gear, they drop ship from Danner and I called Danner to make sure they had them in stock before I placed the order. Danner recommended buying them from a retail store even though you can buy them directly from them. Danner was $200 and LA Police Gear was $180 shipped 3 Day Select and two free pairs of socks. I wasn't to sure of the Acadia's. I did get to try the Striker's on locally, but the Army-Navy store did not have the side zip model.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm a big fan of the Oakley's.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been wearing the Danner Acadias for years. Great boots.

On the other hand, I was thinking of trying something new. Maybe something that is a hybrid between a boot and an athletic shoe. Basically something lighter and easier to run in than the Acadia, but still offers better protection and weatherproofing than an athletic shoe.

I'll still keep my Acadias, but I'd like to have other options in the summer. Any ideas?

Quoted:
I'm a big fan of the Oakley's.

Which Oakley?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#24]
i wore out 2 pairs of oakleys in 2 years a while ago. while they were damn comfortable there was one thing i hated about them...the soles. once wet, they squeaked like mad on tile floors. the soles were also very soft and went slick in about a year.

supposedly they've updated them and the soles are now a more sturdy material. i dont know as i haven't tried them.

HKocher, if you're leo or .mil, go to www.usstandardissue.com. you can get them for about 100 bucks a pair once registered. its easy.

i'm on my second pair of 5.11 HRT's. first pair blew out in 11 months and started leaking in from where the sole meets the leather. since i still had my receipt and the warranty was good for a year, I got them exchanged by 5.11. took about 2 months because the retailer i bought them from drug their feet, but 5.11 made it right. the 5.11's took about 2 weeks to break in, but once done, they're really comfortable. they're surprisingly light too, even though they look clunky.

im still searching for a better boot. one that'll last longer than a year, lightweight, and at least water resistant. i do a lot of standing some times and want something that provides a lot of support and cushion for my heels too. (man i sound whiny).

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:31:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Do they have a plain/polishable toe, yet?  There was some scuttlebutt about newer models...

Normal/narrow foot guys might also check out Lowa boots, Seeker and Patrol models.  I hear they're awesome, but they don't seem to make a model for us'n wide foot guys (EE).
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 4:47:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Who's got the best online prices for Danner Acadias? Mine could use replacing.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I ordered from LA Police Gear. They drop ship from Danner and the price on the Striker GTX II's was the best I found. Call Danner and make sure they have what you want, then order from LA Police Gear. I even told the guy at Danner they were $40 more than LAPG and he said they keep their prices higher than retailers to encourage customers to buy from the stores they sell to. But, Danner does offer free shipping to you and back if the size is wrong.  You won't get that from LAPG.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#29]
I have worn a pair of Converse Boots for the past year and they are great.

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#30]
i have worn these redwing 606 for a year 16 hours a day and love them
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Depending on just how bad off they are, you could alway send them in to Danner for a rework. New soles, new eyelets, new laces, and they recondition the leather for about $100. They will also send ya some cool shwag like polish, laces, and a hat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top