Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2017 12:17:17 PM EDT
UPDATE:
I got the Acer Chromebook 15.
The Samsung PRo is crazy buggy with defective units common.
The Core I5 Acer has the horsepower to last and the bigger screen is a plus for me.

Thanks all.

---

2-400$

I hate buying junk, but can't spend the 550$ to go high end.

Not sure how long these last and see alot of $200 options, so I'm wondering if they're good at that price point.

I see Dell has a "business class" series under 400$.

Use will be for business travel.  I use google mail, drive, photos, docs, and sheets.

Occasional YouTube and Amazon video.

Battery life a plus, touchscreen doesn't affect me.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my HP.  Much nicer quality wise than my wife's Acer.  Check out Woot.com.  They often have Chromebooks listed in their computer section sales.

ETA:  HP's on Woot.com  Looks like a number of them have sold out.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Stay away from HP products if you want them to last.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Lenovo that I got at Best Buy for $150. Smaller screen (which I like) that I use for personal Netflix viewing, email, banking, music streaming and most other functions. I think my laptop pc days are over.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:45:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Well this is $470. Little over your range but it's one of the top two or three chromebooks right now. Most of them have really budget CPUs so they will bog down with videos or multiple heavy webpages. At least from what I've seen. I'l

https://www.amazon.com/Chromebook-C302CA-DHM4-12-5-Inch-Touchscreen-storage/dp/B01N5G5PG2
Amazon Product
  • The flexible 360 degree hinge and 12.5" Full-HD touchscreen lets you use the C302 in tablet or laptop mode.
  • Extremely lightweight at 2.65 pounds with the protection of a sleek aluminum metal body.
  • Starts up in seconds and lasts all day, thanks to a long battery life rated up to 10 hours*.

Back in your price range this Acer seems like a solid chromebook but still has 4gb RAM, 1080p screen, metal body and good battery.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromebook-Aluminum-Quad-Core-CB3-431-C5FM/dp/B01CVOLVPA
Amazon Product
  • Intel Celeron N3160 Quad-Core Processor 1.6GHz (Up to 2.24GHz)
  • 100% Aluminum Chassis
  • 4GB LPDDR3 Onboard SDRAM Memory, 32GB Internal Storage

Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got rid of my HP 14 G4 because of battery issues and no warranty support.
Tiny SSD prevented downloading other programs (16GB) and the OS was a bit of a challenge, functionality is quite limited.
Poor quality screen didn't help it much either.

It was ok for surfing and that's about all it was good for.

Looking at proper laptops to replace it with.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well this is $470. Little over your range but it's one of the top two or three chromebooks right now. Most of them have really budget CPUs so they will bog down with videos or multiple heavy webpages. At least from what I've seen. I'l

https://www.amazon.com/Chromebook-C302CA-DHM4-12-5-Inch-Touchscreen-storage/dp/B01N5G5PG2

www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5G5PG2Back in your price range this Acer seems like a solid chromebook but still has 4gb RAM, 1080p screen, metal body and good battery.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromebook-Aluminum-Quad-Core-CB3-431-C5FM/dp/B01CVOLVPA

www.amazon.com/dp/B01CVOLVPA
View Quote
This is good advice. Try to wait if you can. There are a couple major changes rolling out over Chromebooks, if you care. The first is that almost all good ones will be touch capable going forward. This may seem gimmicky, but Android apps are now Chrome oS compatible, meaning the touch functionality is useful. The second is that the newest crop and higher end ones will all be USB-C capable, meaning cord/plug commonality with your phone. Less chargers and cords to carry, easier connectivity.

Whichever one you choose, get the option with the most RAM. Better processors and screens do increase the price a good chunk. And as I said, if you care, make sure it's touch and USB-C.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#8]
We have a Toshiba, and it is fine.

I would say don't be sucked in by all the bullshit like folds up to become a tablet and so on.

Go to  best buy or equivalent and play with them.

Get one that just works, as they all work the same.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#9]
So far looking at the Acer 14, Dell 13.  And that rugedized asus too.

All seem fine.

Have to decide screen size vs portability.

The processors all seem.similar.  some of the dual cores equal the quad core in that range.

But none have more than 4g of ram.  Not needed I guess?

And local storage doesn't concern me.

Sweet spot seems to be 260$ so far.

More input welcome thanks guys!
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:57:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been very satisfied with a <$200 Samsung from Best Buy.  Needed something small and portable for a cross country road trip.  I don't really do work on it though, just email and web stuff
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We have a Toshiba, and it is fine.

I would say don't be sucked in by all the bullshit like folds up to become a tablet and so on.

Go to  best buy or equivalent and play with them.

Get one that just works, as they all work the same.
View Quote
There's a reason they're becoming touch. Android app compatibility. Same experience on your phone as on your tablet. All synced.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a Toshiba I bought a few years ago and it lasted 4 years.  It lasted longer than any other of my laptop computers. I just bought a Mac so I don't use it anymore.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There's a reason they're becoming touch. Android app compatibility. Same experience on your phone as on your tablet. All synced.
View Quote
I also have a Pixel I, and I really don't use the touch screen that much.

It is one of those "It's nice, but ....... " sort of things.

A Chromebook is not a phone.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Why Chromebook?

Why not get a cheap small sized laptop for similar money?

I've seen refurbed touch screen 12-13" laptops for <$400 on w00t and on newegg.  

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:26:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess it depends which apps you use, if they benefit from it
 Games, organizational apps, ECT.

You have a Chromebook Pixel?!
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Why Chromebook?

What am I missing?
View Quote
Because they don't turn to shit in a couple years. They stay as fast as the day you bought them for years, and have the battery life, weight, and screens of laptops 3x their price.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why Chromebook?

What am I missing?
View Quote
All the fucking headaches that go along with Windows.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:36:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Just picked this one up this week, nice keyboard, ruggedized, 4gig ram.

So far I like it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DBGVB7K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Samsung Chromebook Plus here.  Android App Store (Google Play) compatible.  USB C ports.  Has the flip screen so it can be used as a tablet and a stylus for hand notes, sketching, etc.  Battery life is pretty decent and comparable to Android tablets I've previously owned.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Asus C300 Chromebook

Have had mine over 2 years.  Runs great.  Get 10-14 hours on the battery depending on what I am doing, but my screen is usually turned down.  

I have been very pleased.  I was going to get another Macbook, but analyzed what I needed it for at home and this fit the bill.  About a quarter of the price too.  Most of my stuff is in the cloud so no need for a huge hard drive.  

FWIW, if you are a Costco member and order a Chromebook from their website (they don't usually have Chromebooks in the stores, online selection limited), you get a good price, but also get a 2 year warranty from Costco, best I have seen out there.  If you have a Costco Visa, and use the Visa to buy it, Visa (or Citi) extends that warranty another 2 years for 4 years total.  No extra charge.

Whatever you get, spend a little more for a decent processor and get at least 4GB of RAM.  But even that doesn't have to break the bank, should be able to do it for around $300 or less.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.
Nice! I'm jealous. They were always sexy hardware. Now the competition is catching up and releasing premium stuff, but I remember how many tiers up the last two Pixels when they were released.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:30:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes, it is. It has a beautiful screen, and I like the aspect ratio.

It won't run Android apps though, but if I want to run an Android app, I pick up my Android phone, which has no SIM because SIM is in my iPhone SE.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Why Chromebook?  Because my life is on Google.  I love the whole suite.  I've bought into what they have to offer in a serious way.  I give them alot (my data and fee bucks a month for hosting) and they give me back alot more. (Total functionality, amazing apps that exceed the original they cloned and a cross linked data service -mail, phone, voice, chat, calendar, documents, etc).

Having an OS that is built lean to just do what I need it to do without all the crap windows has to put in is an easy call.  Windows gets clunky.  Always does.   These are disposable priced even at 260$ let's say two years?  Then like a prepaid phone it's all on Google anyway dump it.  I will not get a sub 600$ laptop.   Won't do it.  Bought too many for underlings when I worked at megacorp.  Guaranteed personal frustration in 12 months and business obsolence in under two years.

Having access to Android apps doesn't really affect me, I literally am just buying this for Google's productivity suite and occasional surfing.

Even on my Android, I don't have any apps that couldn't be easier on a website on a laptop (wells Fargo, Twitter, linked in etc)

[I used to mock apple people for their teenaged OS and their "I got a purple one!" Looks over functionality choices.  But now that they embraced serious hardware I get to mock apple taxpayers who give up even more to apple and get zero in return.  Seriously wtf do you get from Apple Corp for all the data you give them. ]
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So far I like it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DBGVB7K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
View Quote
That's one of my three finalists.   The compact size is a plus, but my compact eyes can't imagine traveling with a compact screen and a spreadsheet that goes to ZZ
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Let's not forget that the OS updates regularly and painlessly, unlike Windows.

Also fewer worries about malware and viruses.

If you are a geek (I'm not) they do a nice job of running Ubuntu etc.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:04:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Runs like the day I bought it, 8 years ago.

Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Runs like the day I bought it, 8 years ago.

https://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2014/11/macbook_air_yosemite-800x450.jpg
View Quote
For how much?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That's one of my three finalists.   The compact size is a plus, but my compact eyes can't imagine traveling with a compact screen and a spreadsheet that goes to ZZ
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So far I like it.

I have an Acer Chromebook 15, it's got a BIGGGG screen. But it hasn't entered the USB-C ect era yet.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Absolutely perect.  Well, if it had a backlit keyboard it would be perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-C100PA-DB01-Chromebook-Touchscreen-Laptop/dp/B00YY3X678
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:31:09 AM EDT
[#31]
I don't get the usbc deal.  My phone charges on one, but I don't have a single c to c product.  So who cares?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:31:21 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't get the usbc deal.  My phone charges on one, but I don't have a single c to c product.  So who cares?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:41:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
I mean all my small devices made in the past 5-10 years were usb micro. That cord commonality is convenient. But USB-C can carry enough power to charge larger devices. Which means the same power bricks, battery backup, and chargers for all devices.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:30:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Well good news, turns out my company is footing the bill for this.   Seeing as I'm choosing to not get a 'laptop' I asked for $500 and got a yes.

At this price this is a no Brainer.  Acer makes a Chromebook with a large screen and a real I5 processor.   I couldn't ask for a more ideal setup.  And the screen isn't terrible (still HD but not IPS) and 9+  batt life.

Seeing as my least concerns were  weight, razor sharp graphics and the touch screen, I am pumped.

I'll listen to other suggestions, but this is literally what I was hoping for.  A serious processor in a Chromebook.

Eta: here it is.  Even has dual top speakers, but they're not exactly booming.  Still useful.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:39:46 AM EDT
[#35]
I have zero doubt that over time and for my uses, in a year this Chromebook will be twice as fast as this laptop (for my tasks).
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:45:21 AM EDT
[#36]
We have three chromebooks in our house: HP 14", Samsung 11" and Dell 13". The first two are my kids units and I use the Dell. I work quite a bit from home and the only time I wish I had a little more horsepower is when I'm editing photos. I've been seriously impressed with the Dell and this keyboard is by far the best of all three.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:51:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Also, I just saw that the screen is IPS and pretty damn good.  Better than I thought.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:52:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We have three chromebooks in our house: HP 14", Samsung 11" and Dell 13". The first two are my kids units and I use the Dell. I work quite a bit from home and the only time I wish I had a little more horsepower is when I'm editing photos. I've been seriously impressed with the Dell and this keyboard is by far the best of all three.
View Quote
The Dell is tempting cause it looks like they used to offer an I3 in it.  Not anymore.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:01:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The Dell is tempting cause it looks like they used to offer an I3 in it.  Not anymore.
View Quote
For sure. I tried to get one with the i3 but couldn't. I haven't been disappointed with the Celeron like I thought I would be. Seriously though, try out the keyboard. This Dell has a kickass keyboard vs the other two I mentioned. Huge difference when you're editing sheets and sending emails. I haven't tried the Asus in person but it looks like a sweet machine.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#40]
The Samsung Chromebook Pro (the Pro has the Intel processor) is on sale for the first time right now on Amazon for $499.

The one comment people make regarding the Chromebook Plus and Pro is that it doesn't have a backlit keyboard.  It has never been an issue in my day to day use but YMMV. 
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:33:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't care for the backlit keyboard, but..... I just ran a comparison on that PRO M3 processor and it's pretty even with the Core i5 in the acer.

and it has USB-C charging which is allegedly quicker, but also shares a charger with my phone, not that I'd ever travel with just one charger.

It;s also metal (vs cloth) and has a touch screen and flip tablet feature with stylus...  hmm

got an interesting 3:2 screen that google apparently picked.

quick question, can one of those dual input anker batteries be used on these chromebooks?

Anker PowerCore Elite 20000 Portable Charger, 20000mah Power Bank with 3 PowerIQ, 6A Output, Dual Input and 4A Fast Recharging
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
2-400$

I hate buying junk, but can't spend the 550$ to go high end.

Not sure how long these last and see alot of $200 options, so I'm wondering if they're good at that price point.

I see Dell has a "business class" series under 400$.

Use will be for business travel.  I use google mail, drive, photos, docs, and sheets.

Occasional YouTube and Amazon video.

Battery life a plus, touchscreen doesn't affect me.

Thanks.
View Quote

Not sure if the offer is still on, but google were sending free HP chromebooks to anyone in tech departments in charge of cloud infrastructure. That's how I got mine.

If you or you know someone who can talk to google, you could get one free.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm still torn.

The acer R15 has a core i5, but the samsung pro has a M3 processor that offers the same performance for the purpose, AND the touchscreen (I get it now, for android apps), and usbc.....

I'm leaning samsung.  the stylus, the "designed for android apps" (I realize the intel processor isn't ideal for that, but give developers time)., the extra intel power vs anything else other than the r15...

thoughts?  really need to order today!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#44]
and the samsung was designed "with" google.  and has a much much better screen, albeit smaller.

I guess all choices require some form of compromise.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Ebay

Dell Latitude E6440

$200

8GB or 16GB Ram
+
128-512GB SSD
+Windows (you can download 10 for free and it will use the embedded key in the bios to activate)

That will whup the hell outa any chrome book on the market
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:26:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ebay

Dell Latitude E6440

$200

8GB or 16GB Ram
+
128-512GB SSD
+Windows (you can download 10 for free and it will use the embedded key in the bios to activate)

That will whup the hell outa any chrome book on the market
View Quote
I don't think it'll whoop the acer....

and lets fast forward to one year of the use I intend...   that laptop will be another paperweight, like the lenovo on my desk now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top