Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/24/2003 11:09:55 AM EDT
We need a new printer, the old laser Brother is having issues and it needs to be retired. We want the new one to be able to print photos that we take with our digital camera. We want it to scan, send and receive faxes. What's a good DPI? What are things to watch out for? I've always been a fan of HP printers since I had a bad experience with an Epson once. Our current scanner bed is about 12x8.75 or so. I'd like that size or a little smaller. USB!! I want USB dammit. This scanner on parallel bogs down the computer when it scans.
Thanks!
Jim
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:11:30 AM EDT
HP 6110.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:15:29 AM EDT
I recommend HP all the way. The unit I have is USB and has had very few problems compared to all the other brands and I tried them all. I tried to get off cheap by buying something that wasn't HP and had nothing but problems.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:16:00 AM EDT
I have an HP Officejet D135, I like it. It sends and recieves faxes, prints, copies and scans.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:20:22 AM EDT
We've got a Canon MultiPass F30 and although it doesn't receive FAXes (we have a separate machine) it does a FABULOUS job on printing, copying & scanning. Think we paid $199 for it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:28:40 AM EDT
Epson makes the best inkjet printers on the market today... They use individual ink cartridges for each color (4 cartridges - black and 3 colors), and don't put the print-head in the cartridge (resulting in cheaper cartridges). Also, HP has been known to consider ink cartridge capacity as an effective 'profit-saving tool' - when they are low on money, they just reduce the amount of ink in the cartridges (If you ever see public memos from when HP had bad times, someone allways raises 'Well, we can reduce the ink, and charge the same price!')... HP makes the best laser printers.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:47:14 AM EDT
i also like the HP line
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:36:10 PM EDT
Beware the multi-function printers, they're a nightmare! I have a Canon MultiPASS C530 that is the gizmo from hell. It has a mind of it's own, won't print whenever it "feels" like it, runs out of ink too often, I could go on for hours. My .02 AB
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:23:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bvmjethead: I have an HP Officejet D135, I like it. It sends and recieves faxes, prints, copies and scans.
View Quote
I've got a d135 also and like it. If you have a digital camera with cards, just get the version (d145 or better) that has a slot for them. You can buy a reader seperately, but it's nice to have the space and convenience. Mike
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:34:53 AM EDT
My printer doesn't fax but it prints, scans and copies and I love it. It's an HP 750xi that I got on sale at Sam's for like $125. It's awsome and prints great digital photos.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:41:10 AM EDT
i bought mona an hp2175 a few months ago. ROCK SOLID! decent photo quality fast scanning and have had zero software issues with it. It does not fax on it's own but the pc does so that is a non issue for me. The only drawback is the newer HP in carts are rather small and don't last as long as the old larger ones. mike
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:35:35 AM EDT
NONE...I dont' know a vendor sales rep that will recommend one of those things for anything other than very light duty. YMMV, but I know a few folks that have 'em, and sooner or later (usually sooner), something fails. One of my co-workers just brought in a 3 month old Lexmark X125 that shit itself...he's trying to get me to fix it, but I dont' know squat about it, and my guess is it's still under warranty.
Top Top