Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 6/7/2008 10:51:53 AM EST
And I don't mean Sherman in lacy underwear and a riding crop.

I'm reading Shelby Foote's 3-volume set and want to delve a little deeper on some aspects. However, I do not have the desire, or the time, to turn into a fanboy on the Civil War. My goal is to lurk on a discussion board and pick up information, much like I lurked on Arfcom for a long time to educate myself on AR's.

Sadly, these discussions on GD quickly turn into name calling bullshit festivals. Even the History board on AR15.com is susceptible to that, and it moves pretty slow anyway.

So, any recommendations?
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 10:54:36 AM EST
Why not just use the history forum
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 11:02:41 AM EST

Originally Posted By Steve_T_M:
Why not just use the history forum

Probably because of a tendency toward stuff like this:

I read this question a few years ago and it has rattled around in my head since. I thought I would ask it here.

During the night after the first day of battle a time warp place one Infantry Company (about 160 men) of modern fighting men in the command of General Lee. They were equipped with modern infantry weapons and a large supply of ammo.

I'm not going to link the thread. Some folks have an interest in this kind of thing. My interests do not coincide.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 11:57:38 AM EST
I would first go to Civil War Net, Civil War Home and check out some of the links there. You can get a lot of information on specifics starting with these. Luckily with the CW there are a lot of good sources, unluckily there are bad sources. too. The forums can get pretty bogged down with minutiae.

www.civil-war.net/

Among other things has the 1860 Census, Declarations and Ordinances of Secession, linked right on the front page. This seems to be my favorite site. Sometimes a little hard to navigate. Lots of links.

www.civilwarhome.com/

Links up the wazoo, another very good starting place

www.civilwar.com/

A little more commercial seems to be a little more pointed toward the re-enactor

On a serious discussion board, most of the participants can point you to places where you can get more information. Validate your research source, lot's of sites rely on anecdotal and less than reliable sources. Reliable information will have links to the original source, libraries, museums, academia, etc.

These seem to be concise guides. As you can see by reading this, a lot of the CW bs spouted here comes from sites that fail on several of the points mentioned

www.ecfs.org/academics/libraries/tate/guides/sourcevalidity.aspx

www.bcpl.net/~dcurtis/psd/handouts/s3-67/

A lot of the revisionist or advocacy sites out there fail miserably by even the lowest standards of validation.

Good Luck on finding a good discussion group.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 11:59:00 AM EST
http://www.civilwartalk
Top Top