Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/14/2005 6:39:15 PM EDT
Uncle Sam says I can't enter my workplace with anything more dangerous than a dull GSA-approved scissor or microscopic knife. There are cameras now where I used to stash my usual knife so I need something unobtrusive I can get into the building.

There are some really brutal walking-sticks and canes that nobody would deny a gimpy old Jarhead.
Any good basic defensive styles/school? I'm not very interested in hours of kata or forms, but if that's what it takes let me know.
Thanks!
Matthew

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:43:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 6:47:11 PM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:09:25 AM EDT
Some Hapkido schools train with a cane. It's a Korean style similar to Akido. Also check this link:
www.canemasters.com
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:44:24 AM EDT
I have a 4 ft oak short staff called a Jo (Japanese). I use it as a "walking stick" It was preety cheap too I think it was about $15. They use them like swords.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:55:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Chas:
Some Hapkido schools train with a cane. It's a Korean style similar to Akido. Also check this link:
www.canemasters.com

I gotta go with cane masters on this one. Although Bill "superfoot" wallace gets a little carried away with the high kicks. there are some nasty, nasty chin-na (joint locking / muscle ripping) things you can do with the tip and crook of a good walking cane.

I teach a cane seminar (not canemaster, the Chinese have been doing this for a long time) about 2 times a year, sorry I don't have any video or I would send you a copy.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:50:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Aimless:
Escrima was the big thing in stick fighting back when I was more into this kind of thing. edit-It's a filipino martial art and from what I saw of it, it'd work with a stick or large knife. Dan Inosanto, who was a friend of Bruce Lee, and was in one of the movies, kind of got escrima going in the US. I saw a few guys do it, but never took lessons or anything.

It's very effective too. You can do a LOT of damage with a stick if you're in danger and the adrenaline starts pumping or if you're just plain mean.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:02:28 AM EDT
Jodo.

Japanese based martial using a short staff, about 4 ft long.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:13:33 AM EDT
The short staff, young grasshoper.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:29:21 AM EDT
Escrima training/sparring is fun, but expect a LOT of arm/hand bruises. Barring becoming a really at it, a normal person basically learns attack patterns of hitting that you inflict VERY rapidly. Now defensive patterns (against another escrima pro) are much harder to learn, however since it is doubtful that another person will know it, it is doubtful you will you have to be extremely proficient to do a lot of harm against another.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:44:53 AM EDT
I liked Escrima too. The sticks I trained with were about 28" long.
The basic moves are applicable to one-handed swords and knives too. The basic blocks really aren't that hard. I also trained with staffs. I think both are very good weapons. If I had to choose one, I would take the Escrima sticks because it's easier to find objects of that size than it is to find objects the size of a staff.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:55:13 AM EDT
I tried polycarbanate sticks for a while. Them suckers were heavy and slow until your forearms started bulging like Popeye's after a few days. It was fun just beating the holy hell out of other people's standard sticks. Other students started complaing about me ruining all their sticks :-) so I had to go back to standards. Was a LOT faster after my arms got used to the weight of the polycarbs.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:00:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:35:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Xer0:
I tried polycarbanate sticks for a while. Them suckers were heavy and slow until your forearms started bulging like Popeye's after a few days. It was fun just beating the holy hell out of other people's standard sticks. Other students started complaing about me ruining all their sticks :-) so I had to go back to standards. Was a LOT faster after my arms got used to the weight of the polycarbs.

Ever tried using kids baseball bats! . I had several sets of kamagong (ironwood) sticks I brought back from the PI. After playing with my fellow instructors ,using rattan, sticks they would almost explode after a few good hits.
Top Top