Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/22/2016 7:51:50 PM EDT
Time for me to get my VA CHP permit.

I know the most popular answer is a Glock 19.

However I can not stand my pinky finger hanging below the mag. Do the mag extensions work?

Where I work firearms are banned, so I never got a CHP since I could never use it 95% of the time.

I would also like to minimize the ammo sizes so I would prefer a .45 that conceals well (but could stock 9mm if needed).

What would you recommend? My budget is $500 - $1000.

Thanks

ETA: I should add...The firearm I own that fits my hands best is the Glock 21.

That is a bit to big to conceal carry IMO.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#1]
GLOCK 17
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#2]
CZ Rami, HK P30sk, S & W Shield, all in 9mm
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#3]
G30S
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry depending on how I feel.

a
Glock 21c
1911 full size
S&W 629
Beretta M9A3

small guns suck...

I own compact pistols that I carry when doing yard work...
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Your pinky doesn't fit on a G19?  Just how big are your hands?  

I don't own one, but the HK45 compact is pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#6]
HK USPc

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#7]
HK45C

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

However I can not stand my pinky finger hanging below the mag
. Do the mag extensions work?

Where I work firearms are banned, so I never got a CHP since I could never use it 95% of the time.

I would also like to minimize the ammo sizes so I would prefer a .45 that conceals well (but could stock 9mm if needed).

Thanks

View Quote

Are you talking about the Glock 26?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

They are like oversized cricket bats (Archer quote to Lana BTW)

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:07:15 PM EDT
[#10]
CZ 75 D (PCR) in 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Sig p320 compact. Its 15rds and a hair bigger than the 19 but the grips should be big enough for your whole hand. If they aren't, the gun is modular and for $45 you can swap in the fullsize grip frame that takes 17rd mags. If you want to go smaller you can get the subcompact grip frame that takes 12rd mags.

Eta: the p320 Carry is the factory model that has the same slide as the compact but has the fullsize frame.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

HK45C

View Quote

HK P2000 LEM if want to go 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I should add...The firearm I own that fits my hands best is the Glock 21. That pinky finger not being on the grip annoys the crap out of me.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#15]
G19.

How fucking huge are your hands where the pinky is hanging off the bottom of a G19?

Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

You must have a cock the size of a preteen's forearm. Fucking hell. Pinky extension on a G19 ...
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#16]
If you like Glocks, but the 19 is too small, do a full size. Try a 17 for 9mm or 22 in .40S&W or even a G21 if you want to carry .45ACP.

The H&K P30/VP-9 has a bit more grip than the 19 but is a little more compact than the full size Glocks. Same for the M&P9.

There is always Sig if you want to go full metal frame. A 226 would be a bad ass gun to carry.

Just read your edit. I agree with Furyataurus - check out the H&K45C. It's right at the limit of your budget, but it appears to be a solid shooter by all accounts.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I like mine.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
G19.

How fucking huge are your hands where the pinky is hanging off the bottom of a G19?

You must have a cock the size of a preteen's forearm. Fucking hell. Pinky extension on a G19 ...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
G19.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Sadly no relation to size of penis and hands IMO
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I swap between a G19 and a S&W Shield 9mm. but if you think a G19 is too small, you would not like the Shield. I love it, it seems like it is not even there.
I like the G19 and Crossbreed Supertuck holster combo. Very comfortable
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll pour one out for you tonight, buddy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#21]
How do you plan to dress when you carry this hand cannon?

do you wear loose fitting clothes?  golf shirts?  dress shirts? t-shirts? Hawaiian shirts?

I wear jeans and a golf shirt to work.  Glock 42 works perfectly.  I shoot a minimum of 200 rds weekly.

I know what you mean about your pinky.... do yourself a favor, and put a Glock 43 in your hand.  I promise, it's different.

doesn't bother me at all. I think the pinky issue is a double stack issue, and not so important with single.

The ergonomics of the grip just seem to put it in your hand correctly, short grip or not.

In this pic, my pinky is under the grip, but notice how it looks lined up with the remaining fingers.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Probably everybody's least favorite but I cary a walther ppq m2 in 9mm.

Best trigger and feels great in the hand
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have PPQ M2s and still carry the Glock 19.  

Because Glock 19.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Commander sized 1911 or Sig P220
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

However I can not stand my pinky finger hanging below the mag
. Do the mag extensions work?

Thanks

+1

Sounds like you're talking about the 26.  If not, there's the 17 I guess.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#26]
If your banana hands really can't fit a pinky finger on a G19 (and not a G26?), and you already have a G21 that you think is too big for CCW, then a G17 might be the ticket. The grip is slightly longer than the G19, and the frame is a bit slimmer than the G21.  Is your's an SF or Gen4, or is it a fatty?  If it's a non-SF Gen3 or earlier, might even consider holding a Gen4 G21.  

If you're sure you don't fit a G19, then I'd go with a G17, which I love to hold and shoot, and shoot better than a G34 for some reason.  

If you're not feeling those options, and want to stay a bit smaller than a G21, a Sig P228 might be a good way to go if you can find one.  Beefier grip than the G19, which might help.  You can, of course, run with a P226, but are getting back into heavier, full frame CCW territory.

ETA: with your 45 ACP preference, maybe a G30 or a good ole fashion 1911, which carries well since they're relatively slim.

I have all of the above and still love the G19 before all others.  Of course, I've never been to Chernobyl and have human-sized hands.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I enjoy my XDMc 3.8, very flexible for grip length.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Have a Glock 19 and a Glock 42, the 42 gets carried most often.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:01:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How do you plan to dress when you carry this hand cannon?do you wear loose fitting clothes?  golf shirts?  dress shirts? t-shirts? Hawaiian shirts?

I wear jeans and a golf shirt to work.  Glock 42 works perfectly.  I shoot a minimum of 200 rds weekly.
I know what you mean about your pinky.... do yourself a favor, and put a Glock 43 in your hand.  I promise, it's different.
doesn't bother me at all. I think the pinky issue is a double stack issue, and not so important with single.
The ergonomics of the grip just seem to put it in your hand correctly, short grip or not.
http://i.imgur.com/TDS6x86.jpg?1
  In this pic, my pinky is under the grip, but notice how it looks lined up with the remaining fingers.
View Quote

Since I can't carry at work...Plan on Jeans/Shorts and Golf shirts/T-shirts as my primary clothing.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:04:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Post a pic of you hand bro
You must be 7'6" tall and 300 lbs if your pinky finger hangs off a G19
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If your banana hands really can't fit a pinky finger on a G19 (and not a G26?), and you already have a G21 that you think is too big for CCW, then a G17 might be the ticket. The grip is slightly longer than the G19, and the frame is a bit slimmer than the G21.  Is your's an SF or Gen4, or is it a fatty?  If it's a non-SF Gen3 or earlier, might even consider holding a Gen4 G21.  

If you're sure you don't fit a G19, then I'd go with a G17, which I love to hold and shoot, and shoot better than a G34 for some reason.  

If you're not feeling those options, and want to stay a bit smaller than a G21, a Sig P228 might be a good way to go if you can find one.  Beefier grip than the G19, which might help.  You can, of course, run with a P226, but are getting back into heavier, full frame CCW territory.

ETA: with your 45 ACP preference, maybe a G30 or a good ole fashion 1911, which carries well since they're relatively slim.

I have all of the above and still love the G19 before all others.  Of course, I've never been to Chernobyl and have human-sized hands.
View Quote

I have never tried to conceal a G-21 (open carry in VA when I thought it has good to have)  or a G-17...do they stay concealed?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#33]
The one you're going to carry the most. Nearly everything on the market now is good
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
CZ Rami, HK P30sk, S & W Shield, all in 9mm
View Quote

Homerun.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If it's a non-SF Gen3 or earlier, might even consider holding a Gen4 G21.  
View Quote

It is a Gen3 G-21
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Doesn't everyone's pinky hang off the Glock 19?   It's not a big gun.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:18:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have never tried to conceal a G-21 (open carry in VA when I thought it has good to have)  or a G-17...do they stay concealed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I conceal a G-21 under a t shirt even at work, where I have to bend over and contort to fit in tight places and no one has seen it. A crossbreed supertuck and gun belt work wonders.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Are you trying to find a gun to conceal well or fit your big meaty paw? Like I tell people looking for a carry pistol, you are not looking for a target pistol where the grip is the dominate factor. You are buying a pistol that you will comfortably carry all of the time.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#39]
My pinkie is barely on the grip of my G19 and I don't have huge hands.  Must be a bunch of small handed MFers on here.

I hate having "pinkie dangle" too but I just make sure to keep a high and tight grip and it works for me. If you still have problems you can allways get the trigger guard undercut, that should net you an extra .25" or so. I've thought about it because the knuckle on my middle finger is raw after a couple hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Sig P320 Carry

a little shorter than a full-size, but with a longer grip so no pinky hangs off.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Are you trying to find a gun to conceal well or fit your big meaty paw? Like I tell people looking for a carry pistol, you are not looking for a target pistol where the grip is the dominate factor. You are buying a pistol that you will comfortably carry all of the time.

View Quote

Combination of both really...

I can open carry my G-21 Gen 3 comfortably and don't think it will conceal well. (But never tried to conceal a G-21 so I may be wrong).

I am looking for something that conceals better then the G-21 G3 but is not so small where my pinky has no place to place to rest.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

However I can not stand my pinky finger hanging below the mag. Do the mag extensions work?

Thanks

ETA: I should add...The firearm I own that fits my hands best is the Glock 21.

View Quote

So you want a CC pistol but the only options have to have full frame grips
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#43]
A glock 19 and a good sharp knife to cut off the offending digit!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stand corrected.
I must have been thinking about the USP I use to own.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a  PPQ m2 in 40SW

Fantastic trigger but not for a carry gun IMO.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#46]
delete
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Walther CCP
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:21:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not as well as a G19, but the G17 is not much worse and a bit better than the 21. The grip is only slightly longer but does give the pinky a full purchase for most.  Grip length and width to an extent are probably more important than other dimensions for finding a good CCW. But the most important key to concealing well is a great holster and gun belt - even more important than overgarments in my opinion.  

For reference, I sometimes CCW my Gen4 G20 if I'm on a road trip involving wilderness excursions or in and out of the field, and I can do it under a t-shirt without trouble with a Wilderness Instructor's belt and a Simply Rugged Cuda with IWB straps.  In other words, if I'm on a longer trip and am spending much time outdoors, I take the 10mm and leave everything else at home.  I've carried the G20 for weeks at a time in urban places IWB without too much trouble.  I'm also relatively stout and fit as a runner, swimmer and cyclist, so I don't have folds to help hide the gun.  If you really want to carry a 45ACP and like your G21, you might consider trading your G21 toward a Gen4 G21 or Gen3 G21SF to take advantage of the slimmer frame, but you'd definitely be committing to carrying a hog fulltime.  Ages ago I carried a USP45 fulltime and the non-SF G21s to me were even more obnoxious in terms of size.  I love the Gen4 size for general use (not necessarily CCW), though.

But the point of CCW is to have a firearm with you as much as possible, and there is no reason to make that harder to achieve by subjecting yourself to a brick that serves no tremendous advantage over a smaller, lighter, equally well performing firearm/round - as long as you can find a reliable one that retains fighting gun abilities, which is why G19s are great choices (though not always the choice, as I'm told anyway).

My G19 completely disappears in a Raven Concealment Phantom.  In fact, I prefer the G19 strongside IWB in a Raven over my G42 AIWB in a G-Code Incog.  Both conceal well, but the G19 is a better fighting gun, is more comfortable to me at 3:30, and almost equally well concealed.  A G17's grip sticks out a bit more, but no more so than the G20/21 for sure and gives you a full purchase without too much wasted real estate, so it shouldn't be an issue for you in the style of dress you describe as long as you're not trying to squeeze into the wrong size of clothing and use a great holster and gun belt.  ETA: or built like a stick figure.

But I still say G19
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:35:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
GLOCK 17
View Quote

this.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:36:53 PM EDT
[#50]
P229 Legion
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top