Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/17/2009 7:53:00 AM EST
My wife needs to get something for her purse when she goes to work(Hospital) and cannot carry a firearm. What brand/model of Mace and or taser do you recommend? Preferably as compact as possible?
Link Posted: 7/17/2009 7:53:35 AM EST
Fox 5.3

/Thread
Link Posted: 7/17/2009 7:53:53 AM EST
Fox labs OC
Link Posted: 7/17/2009 7:55:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/17/2009 7:57:23 AM EST by --bullseye--]

Originally Posted By SGocka:
Fox 5.3

/Thread

Yep. That is probably your best choice for the pepper spray.

Link:

http://www.defensedevices.com/worhotpepspr.html

I know next to nothing about tasers...they're illegal in WI.
Link Posted: 7/17/2009 8:00:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/17/2009 8:01:50 AM EST by Pegdraggin]
I like the ASP defenders, not because of the product (which is certainly hot enough to shut my eyes down completely for quite some time), but because of the design. The palm defender looks like nothing unusual, doubles as a keychain, and your wife won't think twice about having it in her hand. The safety is intuitive and easy to release. The method of firing is natural for someone taking up a defensive pose.

The fox spray itelf is good, but most people feel self-consious about openly carrying OC, so what usually happens is: it stays in their purse.

The way I see things... if you're surprise attacked, there's a very good chance you'll never have the time to retrieve something from your purse. Much better if it's already in your hand...

One more thing - whatever you get, get an inert cartridge of two, and have your wife practice with them, including facing into the wind. The rule here is... if you get any on you, you're going to be just as fucked as the person you're spraying. Better yet... have her practice with a real cartridge. She should know what it feels like to get hit by blowback (assuming you go with an aerosol). That will drive home the reality of how it has to be used... you can't just stand there and spray. You should use it just prior to, or while, retreating.
Link Posted: 7/17/2009 8:05:54 AM EST
Has anyone seen the two shot pepper spray guns carried by Kimber. It actually uses a propellant and has greater range than the aerosol sprays. Expensive, though.
Link Posted: 7/17/2009 8:07:06 AM EST
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:
Has anyone seen the two shot pepper spray guns carried by Kimber. It actually uses a propellant and has greater range than the aerosol sprays. Expensive, though.

Better hope one of those two shots hit your mark. If not then you're shit out of luck.
Link Posted: 7/17/2009 8:25:48 AM EST
the c2 from taser is not to big, little spendy but is nice.
Link Posted: 7/17/2009 8:36:43 AM EST
Does it burn your skin too? Are they dyed too for identification?
Link Posted: 7/17/2009 8:49:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/17/2009 8:52:13 AM EST by Pegdraggin]
Originally Posted By stretch415:
Does it burn your skin too? Are they dyed too for identification?

All of them will burn your skin. However... that's a non-issue, because it won't stop or even deter an attacker. It sucks after the fact, but it's not debilitating in the least.

OC is effective through 2 mechanisms... shutting the eyes, and hampering breathing. The eye-shut reflex isn't a function of pain. I've found the pain to be - frankly - manageable. It's not that pleasant, but it's not terrible either. But it's nearly impossible to open your eyes, or keep them open for any length of time. They just shut involuntarily.

Breathing can be hampered, but only to a great degree with aerosols... and even then... often not enough to make a difference.

Dies are common in gels and streams (as oppposed to aerosol sprays). The advantage of those over aerosols is that you have more range, and less chance of contaminating yourself. The disadvantage is that you have to be alot more accurate to do any good, and breathing is likely not going to be affected.

Once an attacker gets their hands on your wife, even after being OC'd, they can and will continue the attack. The idea is to use it in a manner that keeps them from ever touching her... spray and retreat. Use their relative blindness to your advantage. Don't count on the pain component having any effect whatsoever.

I also repeat... practice with it. This should be like any other weapon in your arsenal. You need to practice if you expect to use it effectively if/when the time comes. You won't have time to think about how to retreive it, disengage the safety, or avoid cross-contamination when the SHTF.

Link Posted: 7/17/2009 8:52:06 AM EST
x26 taser or the Fox
Link Posted: 7/18/2009 3:55:14 AM EST
which type? stream or cone? which has more range and which is easier to hit your target with? Also what size would be good. Obviously small is better in terms of carry but it definately has to have enough spray
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:00:41 PM EST
which type? stream or cone? which has more range and which is easier to hit your target with? Also what size would be good. Obviously small is better in terms of carry but it definately has to have enough spray

anybody? I need to order it tonight
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:11:00 PM EST
"Don't tase me Sis"
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:12:03 PM EST

anybody? I need to order it tonight

Cone is usually recommended for civies.
Top Top