Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2006 4:23:35 PM EDT
Me and a couple of other guys are looking to get a retirement gift for one of our NCOs who is about to go into law enforcement.  Just something to thank him, and get him started in his new job.

I was just wondering what you guys would recommend?  What is the latest high speed product out there that every officer wants?

Thank you
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Me and a couple of other guys are looking to get a retirement gift for one of our NCOs who is about to go into law enforcement.  Just something to thank him, and get him started in his new job.

I was just wondering what you guys would recommend?  What is the latest high speed product out there that every officer wants?

Thank you

Well, there's lots of stuff that he may or may not be issued.  I think a good pocket knife would always be desired, though.

I recommend the Kershaw Spec Bump.

There's also a new line of knives coming out that is a collaboration between Ken Onion, Kershaw and Strider Knives that should be quite nice and very appropriate for the rough treatment that a LEO (or soldier) would subject it to...  They're going to be called Zero Tolerance knives and they were advertised in the most recent issue of American Cop magazine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#2]
A multitool like a gerber, leatherman, or wenger (politics aside, they are really usefull).
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Rechargeable Maglight with the DC charger to go in his car.  It's old technology I know, and I own a bundle of Surefire products, but when I was in uniform I never got out of my car without that big boy in my hand.  He'll thank you for it later, trust me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Ka-Bar TDI Law Enforcement knife. Around $30 if you shop for it. By far the best knife I've used for work.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I would second the Kabar, a fellow officer in my unit has one and just about everyday I look at it think "damn I gotta get me one of those".
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Rechargeable Maglight with the DC charger to go in his car.  It's old technology I know, and I own a bundle of Surefire products, but when I was in uniform I never got out of my car without that big boy in my hand.  He'll thank you for it later, trust me.

Indeed, a quality flashlight is one of the most important tools and officer treasures in a darkened environment.  My department issues 2 cell mag-lights, that's great for finding your car keys if you drop them, but not for spotting turds hiding in a closet.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yeah, but lots of agencies issue good quality flashlights, so it might not be what he needs the most...

Not saying it's not a good idea, having an extra flashlight certainly wouldn't hurt, but I'm just trying to think of something that he's definitely not going to be issued...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#8]
If my department issued me a 2 cell maglight I'd tell them to keep it.  I'm talkng about the rechargeable version which is much brighter.  Certailny bright enough for any purposes I needed a light for while I was in uniform.  My department didn't issue lights to us and I received a Stinger as a gift.  I compared it to a rechargeable maglight a few weeks later and the Stinger became my garage flashlight.

If you're thinking about a knife, consider an Emerson.  Any of his models with the wave feature are great choices.  They are the fastest and simplest to deploy with a litle practice and make great sense as a SHTF backup blade.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I would go with a flashlight.  On night shift I have no less than 3 (full size streamlight, belt surefire, stinger rechargeable backup).  Light=good.

I stopped carrying expensive knives.  That way I don't feel bad about losing/scratching/lending them etc...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Not very high speed, but a gear bag from galls(or some other place) is invaluable for keeping your crap in order. It also makes moving from your pov to the cruiser much easier. If you have to take turns fast it keeps everything from flying around. Might want to look at some of the metal clipboards too.  Just my $.02
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ka-Bar TDI Law Enforcement knife. Around $30 if you shop for it. By far the best knife I've used for work.

+1
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:27:27 PM EDT
[#12]
+1 on a good folding knife. Most Depts. don't issue them and everyone needs one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:07:20 AM EDT
[#13]
This is a little different and not really very high speed, but when I graduated from the academy, my family gave me a really nice engraved ink pen. I keep it in my car and use it for the "don't make me break out the golden pen" line. It is a personal gift and should last a lifetime if taken care of. If he doesn't already know, if he gets into law enforcement, a good ink pen will become his most commonly used tool.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:12:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I would go with a flashlight.  On night shift I have no less than 3 (full size streamlight, belt surefire, stinger rechargeable backup).  Light=good.

I stopped carrying expensive knives.  That way I don't feel bad about losing/scratching/lending them etc...

I have a full size, rechargeable maglight, a Gladius, a small surefire, and a cheap Brinkman/Walmart knockoff of a pocket sizeSurfire.

The surefire was given to me as a gift and I about wet my pants when I got it.  Free is free and when free is quality, Hooray.  

I will loan it out to my squad mates if their batteries die.  The Brinkman I hand to officers I don't know because I don't care if they don't give it back.  It's like 16 bucks.  I realized it's value when I was on a call with a K9 officer who showed up to work with NO FLASHLIGHT!  K9 only works nights for us so that really confused me.  Now I understand some of the comments I've heard about this officer.

A multi tool is not bad either because it less likely to be affected by personal preferences than a duty knife or a flashlight.

If you really love him or this is a group purchase and you guys can pool money.  Get him a rechargeable full size maglite or surefire AND a Gladius.  

Check out the Gladius and believe the stuff you read.  It works as advertised.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top