Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2001 10:54:44 AM EDT
I'm sorry if this subject has been hashed over but, I want to know for sure if buying a 80% finished receiver casting without a FFL is legal? It seams almost to good to be true that a small amount of cash and some GOOD machining on my part is all that is needed to get a receiver and build a rifle around it( in my case, a 10/22 target rifle ). Am I missing something or what?
I would hate to see some guys on my doorstep asking me to spend a few YEARS in their "hotel".
Any info on this mater would help.  
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Geez, R8taper - since this is your very first post you should've asked how to make a machine gun!!!!  [:P]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#3]
there's nothing wrong with his question at all...  yes, it is legal for you to build your own firearm (state/local laws may vary).  You can build it from scratch or from a partially completed receiver which, if under 80%, isn't considered a firearm.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 1:57:31 PM EDT
[#4]
[url]www.tanneryshop.com[/url] for 80% castings, including 10/22.  

Yes, it's legal federally.  State laws may not allow it.  You may not create an "assault weapon" and you may not make a firearm "with intent to sell" it.  Which doesn't mean you can't change your mind later.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
[url]www.tanneryshop.com[/url]
View Quote

Too bad the guy can't spell
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#7]
i think his site is haveing dificulties, but he is a homestead site you should try [url]www.homestead.com[/url]ant search for tanneryshop. lots of good stuff there.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 5:23:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I believe it is necessary to give it a serial #, and I think some communication with ATF must take place.  It is legal though.  
View Quote

wrong, and wrong.

No SN needed, though ATF suggests one be put on for identification purposes in case of theft, etc.

No paperwork needs to be filed.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 5:37:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[url]www.tanneryshop.com[/url]
View Quote

Too bad the guy can't spell
View Quote

?? Which guy?  

The site pops right up for me.

Serial number only needed for selling, [i]after[/i] you changed your mind about why you made it in the first place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top