Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/6/2005 2:55:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2005 6:25:28 PM EDT by glockguy40]
I am in the market for a gun safe.

I'm looking for one in the 600+ lb. range with fire protection and with good capacity, holding 18-20 guns. Needs to have a deflector plate and needs to have at least 10 locking bolts.

I'm looking to spend around $1200 - $1500.

Any suggestions???

I would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

Currently, I am looking at getting one of these:

Browning Medallion Safe

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:05:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2005 3:05:18 AM EDT by RED_5]
tag!

actually need MORE room, maybe 2?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:08:52 AM EDT
When I was looking, I found the browning safe's to be very overpriced. You are paying for the name. For your price range, I would suggest a Liberty or Cannon. You end up getting a larger safe for your $. I heard very good things about them. I ended up buying a Cannon.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:24:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2005 3:28:20 AM EDT by xinflt]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:39:57 AM EDT
Canon was my choice.

Check into delivery, it's VIP - not worth getting laid up torquing your back out
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:46:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2005 4:48:57 AM EDT by chaos4570]
Spend another $300 and get a Champion Challernger C-50 safe

It is twice as big and weighs twice as much as you stated. Fire protection on Champion safes are excellent
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:15:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2005 5:17:06 AM EDT by pale_pony]
another vote for Cannon.
Lifetime IN HOME repair warranty. Other warranties require that you bring the safe back to the factory or to a repair station for warranty work.

Edited to add: Whatever make or model you choose, go home and count your pennies, then go back and buy the BIGGER size. "The Gun Safe Gods" abhor a vacuum, you WILL need a bigger safe.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:23:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By xinflt:
Safe related threads from the past that may help. Maybe we need a safe forum.

Apparently this one isn't safe enough.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:14:21 AM EDT
plain jane,but fire proof ,liberty!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:23:26 AM EDT
I like my heritage, same warranty as Cannon, they're made in Idaho.
Unfortunately, it seems I didn't get a big enough one
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:25:32 AM EDT
Fort Knox Get the biggest and the best the first time, you will out grow it
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:39:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2005 4:39:49 PM EDT by glockguy40]

Originally Posted By dpmmn:
Fort Knox Get the biggest and the best the first time, you will out grow it

I wish.... a little out of my price range
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:49:36 PM EDT
I got a Browning Medallian about 6 months ago, and of course I'm very happy with it. I shopped around alot before buying. I decided that is was the safe that fit my needs, and was a little better than the mid-range models of other brands. The Browning Medallian offers an excellent fire rating.

I've heard a lot of people recommending the cannon safes. I did not check into these too deeply before purchasing though.

M.L.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:00:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2005 5:00:41 PM EDT by ED_P]
I've got a Fort Knox, I like it. As others said, get a bigger size than you think you can live with.

Also- bolt it to the floor and wall. People here have listed very creative ways to get even a 1000 lb.
safe out of a house quickly and into a vehicle, to be opened leisurely later.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:20:07 PM EDT
I'm just repeating everyone else- get the biggest safe you can!
I honestly never believed I would run out of safe room, but I now need another.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:20:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2005 6:20:53 PM EDT by rdblan2]
I have a Champion, but you can probably do better for a little more money. I think I spent about $900. Pretty happy with it. Any safe is better than no safe. Much like ARs, you will need more soon.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:29:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cajunboy:
When I was looking, I found the browning safe's to be very overpriced. You are paying for the name. For your price range, I would suggest a Liberty or Cannon. You end up getting a larger safe for your $. I heard very good things about them. I ended up buying a Cannon.

+1 Liberty's are great safes.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:20:59 PM EDT
Just bought a Cannon AE22 gun safe today. Moving it wasn't a problem, as I had access to a lift to put it where I needed it. Still need to bolt it down, but that can wait until tomorrow.

I'm very happy with it considering I'm upgrading from a Stack On locker. It will do fine for my 4 guns for the time being. Even with the few firearms I have, I wouldn't have gone with anything smaller. I know my firearm collection will only grow with time and a 14 gun safe would of filled up way too quick.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:33:08 PM EDT
Costco and Sams Club had very very good deals on safes. I don't know if they do any more. Almost all quality safes use the same couple locks, if the bad guy know how to defeat them it doesn't matter what the safe cost. Most likely BGs are not going to peel the door, they will go in a side. Most of what is sold in safes is smoke and mirrors.

I like multiple meduim sized safe as opposed to a very large one. Bolt them together side-by-side and you make theft very hard. Make sure they are bolted to the floor with lots of long bolts. Bolt to the back wall also if possible.

If you can organize your safes so that no one can get at the sides and back you have stopped a large percent of the burglar defeats. Making it big enough that it can't be removed from the house by bolting multiple safes together takes care of another subsections of defeats.

Now you only have to worry about torches. A fire alarm with a monitor in the room the safe is in, linked to a call system or outside audible alarm would help here. Plus they have to torch multiple safes to get all the goodies.

A very simple alarm that operates an external siren, with the key pad in the safe would be cheap and easy. Obviously hide the wiring so it's a surprise.

Lots of safes are defeated. If a burglar hits you when he knows you are going to be gone and finds a safe they regularly leave and get the tols to defeat the safe. If he knows you have a safe, he brings the tools he thinks he needs.

Having your safes set up to defeat the standard burglar techniques puts you way ahead for not much extra money.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:51:38 PM EDT
+1 for a Champion

I went to my local dealer, and for about $1700-1800 delivered I can get a Champion Victory 25 which is around the same size as the Browning you have pictured. But you get much better fire protection 1350 for 1-hours vs. 1500 for 30min. *Much thicker body 2" vs. 10ga. *825 vs. 750lbs.

If you dont mind the "granite" (flat gray) finish you can get a 35c/f Challenger 35 for about the same price, with the same security features as the Victory series safes.

I have a Liberty Colonial 23 right now, and im moving and leaving it with the new homeowner and replacing it with one of the two Champion safes I listed.
Top Top